News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

NE2

Quote from: I-55 on August 25, 2021, 11:40:40 PM
^^^^
Why did I google the second word in all caps? I have regerts.
I wouldn't try lemonparty if I were you.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SkyPesos

It seems like the dots for the endpoints and angles for the measure tool are back! It was super annoying without it. Only noticed it after I was done measuring my fictional NYC subway line, as I was so used to having it, and forgot that it was gone for the past few days.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 25, 2021, 06:26:23 PM
Well obviously, any individual entity can set their own speech rules but that doesn't automatically make profanity a bad thing.

Please provide a list of why profanity can be a good thing.

Daniel Fiddler

I have rarely had a problem with google maps.  Occasionally it takes time to adjust to change when they update it, although I use it primarily if not exclusively for my maps.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 26, 2021, 04:34:05 PM

The argument seems to go like this:

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 06:46:04 PM
If you're not literate enough to converse without cursing, well, I don't know what to say to you. There is absolutely no point that cannot be made without resorting to profanity.

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 07:37:56 PM
As someone who prides myself on my abilities with the written word, choosing to eliminate fucking from my vocabulary makes about as much sense as a painter eliminating orange from their palette would.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on August 26, 2021, 04:49:17 PM

If you're not literate enough to converse without cursing, well, I don't know what to say to you. There is absolutely no point that cannot be made without resorting to profanity.

As someone who prides myself on my abilities with the written word, choosing to eliminate fucking from my vocabulary makes about as much sense as a painter eliminating orange from their palette would.

I can articulate an argument with language akin to a Ph.D. dissertation. I can also spew fucks and shits like there's no tomorrow. These things aren't mutually exclusive.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TXtoNJ

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 26, 2021, 04:23:14 PM
It seems like the dots for the endpoints and angles for the measure tool are back! It was super annoying without it. Only noticed it after I was done measuring my fictional NYC subway line, as I was so used to having it, and forgot that it was gone for the past few days.

Fixed for me too

SEWIGuy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 26, 2021, 04:56:37 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 26, 2021, 04:49:17 PM

I can articulate an argument with language akin to a Ph.D. dissertation. I can also spew fucks and shits like there's no tomorrow. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Agreed.  But I also know my audience.  And I am not going "spew fucks and shits" in a forum where I think it will make people uncomfortable.

webny99

Back to the actual topic minus the profanity, one thing that frustrates me is when you search for a town (or township, as they're called in some states), and a little red pin comes up at the so-called town center (or even worse, the town hall) instead of a red outline of the entire town. Aaargh! Of course I'm not looking for an intersection here, I want boundaries!

Plutonic Panda

Back to the actual topic plus the profanity(sorry I couldn't help myself) I run maps on iOS and my only major complaint is on the customized maps there isn't a way to edit them. The pictures section of an added point/shape only shows the first picture added and won't enlarge others; it's annoying.

I also wish they'd differentiate freeways from non-freeways better. They still haven't added the OKC streetcar network either despite me emailing them multiple times about they only show the stations. I like in Apple Maps when you zoom out far it'll show the national Amtrak network. Google won't.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on August 26, 2021, 07:08:28 PM
Back to the actual topic minus the profanity, one thing that frustrates me is when you search for a town (or township, as they're called in some states), and a little red pin comes up at the so-called town center (or even worse, the town hall) instead of a red outline of the entire town. Aaargh! Of course I'm not looking for an intersection here, I want boundaries!

Interesting. I tried searching for about ten different towns of various sizes, and it only ever shows the outline. I don't get any point, be it pointing to the centroid of the polygon or some town centre.

Bruce

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 26, 2021, 07:17:10 PM
I also wish they'd differentiate freeways from non-freeways better. They still haven't added the OKC streetcar network either despite me emailing them multiple times about they only show the stations. I like in Apple Maps when you zoom out far it'll show the national Amtrak network. Google won't.

It's probably the fault of the operating agency, as they are the ones submitting data to Google through GTFS.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Bruce on August 26, 2021, 07:43:24 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 26, 2021, 07:17:10 PM

It's probably the fault of the operating agency, as they are the ones submitting data to Google through GTFS.

No. The data is just fine. The issue is that there are three road categories that have identical colors. From most to least important, they are freeway, one that's widely used outside the US but rarely used inside the US (for a US example, the MA 2 freeway west of I-495 is of this type), and major surface road.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

vdeane

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 26, 2021, 04:23:14 PM

Hallelujah!  I can get the idea behind hiding the points - it does look nicer - but there needs to be a way to manipulate the points that have already been placed.  Perhaps they could have it display like it did before the fix, but have the points appear when mousing over the line?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 26, 2021, 05:12:12 PM
But I also know my audience.  And I am not going "spew fucks and shits" in a forum where I think it will make people uncomfortable.

You obviously don't know your fuckin' audience.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on August 26, 2021, 08:23:31 PM
Hallelujah!  I can get the idea behind hiding the points - it does look nicer - but there needs to be a way to manipulate the points that have already been placed.  Perhaps they could have it display like it did before the fix, but have the points appear when mousing over the line?

Just checked it and the distance measurement tool is back to normal here too.

So... we may never know how intentional or not that brief loss of function was.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Daniel Fiddler

I can communicate with cursing like a sailor or refraining from cursing altogether, I am articulate enough with and without profanity.  I just choose to use no or very little / mild profanity most of the time.

Also, I have the ability to conduct myself in one of three ways.

I can act like an intellectual, using legalese (the language of attorneys) and making myself look almost as enlightened as my younger brother and my first cousin but not quite (their IQ is at least 10 points higher than mine, they really are brilliant), which, not to boast, I am of slightly above average intelligence.  There are very few areas of knowledge I know more than them.  Geography and transportation infrastructure is one of them.

Or I can try to blend in with "normal people".

Or I can REALLY dumb myself down and pass myself off as an absolute moron.

Usually, I try to choose my audience on which of said three ways on how to conduct myself, to make them comfortable.

NE2

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 26, 2021, 09:14:54 PM
This tends to work best on aaroads, especially in fictional.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: NE2 on August 26, 2021, 10:08:54 PM
Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 26, 2021, 09:14:54 PM
This tends to work best on aaroads, especially in fictional.

If you feel this way about people planning fictional highways, why in God's name are you on a road forum?

Or are you just saying you think I am an idiot?

Not that I really give a shit from a 13 year old who has not really experienced life yet.

sprjus4

^ He's not actually 13. And it's NE2, I wouldn't expect much with his comments or take them seriously.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 26, 2021, 10:32:12 PM
^ He's not actually 13. And it's NE2, I wouldn't expect much with his comments or take them seriously.

Yeah, I don't mind him calling me an idiot.  Although I do have a problem with him believing EVERYONE who posts fictional highways is an idiot.

Some plans are actually quite impressive.  Especially Skypesos's and Roadgeekteen's for their age.  I do believe Roadgeekteen does not have a full grasp of how expensive / unfeasible / unpractical (and in some places impossible) some of his bridges / tunnels would be, but hey, he just turned 18, it's not like he has a masters in civil engineering.  As much as I would LOVE to see a tunnel between Florida and Cuba (I don't think it could be built between Key West and Havana, US 1 over the keys can't even be 4 laned in places, much less interstate-ized), I know it can't be done, not only because of the 90+ mile distance, the Florida Straits are 3,000+ feet deep at the shortest distance across and 500 feet deep a bit further east where the crossing would be longer, approximately 120 miles long.

I'm nowhere near done with my planned rerouted Interstates.  I am still working on them, and other maps.  :)

SkyPesos

According to Google Maps, these three interstates mysteriously have a gap in route now

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 26, 2021, 10:58:20 PM
According to Google Maps, these three interstates mysteriously have a gap in route now

Map is unclickable, although I think I know where that is.  That's in Illinois isn't it, east of St. Louis, yes?

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on August 26, 2021, 07:37:34 PM

Interesting. I tried searching for about ten different towns of various sizes, and it only ever shows the outline. I don't get any point, be it pointing to the centroid of the polygon or some town centre.

I think it's different in NY and other states where everything is incorporated. The town outline almost never shows up unless the town is the only thing with that name; if there's a same-name village or same-name hamlet, it will default to that.

In some cases, you can get the town outline to show, but only if you specify "Town of..." as opposed to just the town name. And cases where there is a same-name hamlet are the worst, because there is no way whatsoever to get the outline. The towns of Walworth, Marion, and Tyre, NY, are some examples that fall into this category, but those are just three of many.

This inconsistency has been driving me batty as I work on compiling updated 2020 census numbers for every town in the state... but I suppose such is the downfall of everything in the state being incorporated.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on August 26, 2021, 11:23:27 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 26, 2021, 07:37:34 PM

I think it's different in NY and other states where everything is incorporated. The town outline almost never shows up unless the town is the only thing with that name; if there's a same-name village or same-name hamlet, it will default to that.

In some cases, you can get the town outline to show, but only if you specify "Town of..." as opposed to just the town name. And cases where there is a same-name hamlet are the worst, because there is no way whatsoever to get the outline. The towns of Walworth, Marion, and Tyre, NY, are some examples that fall into this category, but those are just three of many.

This inconsistency has been driving me batty as I work on compiling updated 2020 census numbers for every town in the state... but I suppose such is the downfall of everything in the state being incorporated.

Not an issue in Massachusetts, since only cities and towns are incorporated, there's no overlap, and there are no duplicate names. To make sure, I checked Andover, which has a CDP of the same name, and it still gave me the outline of the town. For some reason, the example image gave me a pond. Andover is famous for several things, and it shows something that exists in every town.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.