News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Numbers on 3-digit Interstate shields are getting narrower

Started by bandit957, June 29, 2023, 11:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else notice this lately? The numbers on 3-digit Interstate shields seem to be generally getting narrower. They're not as narrow as some old 4-digit state route signs in Kentucky were, but still mighty narrow.

I associate this with newer Interstates. Although I think I have seen it even in the Northeast, it looks un-Northeastern, as I think of the Northeast as having older freeways where 3-digit Interstate shields use smaller but wider numbers.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SkyPesos

Most likely a change from a Series D to Series C 3di shield. It seems like Series C is the new "standard"  for 3dis that don't have a 1 in its number.

Otoh, I've seen 3di numbers get larger too. Ohio used to use Series B for a brief period in the late 2000s-early 2010s, and those were awful to read when driving at highway speed.

Big John

Series C looks best on a 3DI shield.  Series B looks terrible on an Interstate highway shield.

bandit957

I looked at a picture of the series, and I think it's actually series B, but it might be even narrower.

I've also noticed over the years that 2-digit U.S. route shields have generally gravitated from series C to series D. But I think there are still some new series C shields though.

Mergingtraffic

you mean narrow like this?

I don't understand why 3-digit numerals are so hard to do. They're either too big, small, narrow or something.
Can't we go back to this?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

bandit957

SkyPesos

Quote from: bandit957 on June 30, 2023, 02:02:19 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 30, 2023, 02:01:26 PM
you mean narrow like this?

Much narrower than that.
Yea, you're referring to Series B then, as that pic was Series C. I haven't seen a new (from the past 5 years) Series B install yet; mostly only seen Series C and a couple Series D (for highways like I-170 or I-471) sprinkled in there.

bandit957

I've seen some I-275 shields with the narrow font cropping up in the past few years, but I think that's just Ohio, not Kentucky.

SkyPesos

Quote from: bandit957 on June 30, 2023, 06:32:51 PM
I've seen some I-275 shields with the narrow font cropping up in the past few years, but I think that's just Ohio, not Kentucky.
They're out there, though I think those are some older installs, as OhioDOT went through a period of using Series B 3di shields about a decade ago. All of the newest ones (from within the past 5 or so years) I've seen of I-275 are Series C.

Henry

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 30, 2023, 06:36:46 PM
They're out there, though I think those are some older installs, as OhioDOT went through a period of using Series B 3di shields about a decade ago. All of the newest ones (from within the past 5 or so years) I've seen of I-275 are Series C.
GDOT also used Series B in most 3di shields at the same time it put up the vintage Series D guide signs. One such example is on I-285 at the through movement for the I-675 interchange. Note that the I-675 sign shows the customary Series C.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wanderer2575

Michigan says "Hello," sometimes:

I don't really have a preference for standalone shields, but when a 3di and a 2di are signed together I prefer the narrower font so the numerals on both shields have the same height.  I prefer this first sign ^ rather than this one:

Road Hog

Plate metal costs money, so I expect to see more of this on side highways as well as interstates.

vdeane

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 30, 2023, 11:52:52 PM

I don't really have a preference for standalone shields, but when a 3di and a 2di are signed together I prefer the narrower font so the numerals on both shields have the same height.  I prefer this first sign ^ rather than this one:

I do prefer the second one, but mainly because it at least has a shield with normal-sized numbers rather than jumbo-sized ones.  It would look better if the I-75 shield used the same font/size as the I-275 shield.  Then it would be perfect (at least in terms of shields; I don't mind the Clearview place names on those signs too much, but Clearview numerals just don't look good).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSR_317

The thing I noticed on this one is the poor choice in abbreviation for "Grand River Avenue", as I think "Grand Rvr Ave" might be more appropriate than something that might be misinterpreted as "Goddamned River Ave", especially by some religious fanatic. :sombrero:

GaryV

There's plenty "religious fanatics" in west Michigan, and "Gd Rapids" is the standard on signs.

epzik8

Parts of I-695 in Maryland have had narrow-numbered shields for some time. If you ask me, it's practical as a cost- and material-saving measure.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

ilpt4u

I think 355's numbers in IL have gotten fatter, not narrower. I remember older 355 from the 90s/early 2000s shields with skinny numbers and most of those are gone, replaced with a thicker font face. Which FHWA series is which, that I don't know

http://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/interstate/355.html
The Bill Burmaster page on 355 has examples of both the newer, fatter font and the older, skinny font for the shields

Henry

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 04, 2023, 12:53:27 PM
I think 355's numbers in IL have gotten fatter, not narrower. I remember older 355 from the 90s/early 2000s shields with skinny numbers and most of those are gone, replaced with a thicker font face. Which FHWA series is which, that I don't know

http://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/interstate/355.html
The Bill Burmaster page on 355 has examples of both the newer, fatter font and the older, skinny font for the shields
I really can't tell the difference; they all look the same. Although unless I'm mistaken, the new font would be the Series D that is normally used on 2di signs. As I recall upthread, there's been lots of hate for the narrow Series B, but it would look even more hideous on a 2di shield (as would Series C), which is why it's restricted to 3di use.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

paulthemapguy

This varies greatly not only by state but also by DOT district and by road agency.  The entire world isn't leaning toward narrower numerals. Some districts are going the opposite direction (I like that ISTHA was mentioned as an example of this). I am starting to see a few more route markers with wider numerals on Iowa's roads, for example, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

ilpt4u

Crediting billburmaster.com's I-355 page, but this is an example of the 355 font difference, in a single picture, from US 6

tmoore952

Quote from: SSR_317 on July 02, 2023, 07:25:53 PM

The thing I noticed on this one is the poor choice in abbreviation for "Grand River Avenue", as I think "Grand Rvr Ave" might be more appropriate than something that might be misinterpreted as "Goddamned River Ave", especially by some religious fanatic. :sombrero:

For whatever it's worth -- I have never seen this picture before, and it's been 20+ years since I've been in Michigan, so I have no preconceived notions, or knowledge about what locals know.

I would have guessed this abbreviation was "Good River Avenue".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.