Meta > Suggestions and Questions

UPDATED: User profile political content restrictions

<< < (13/14) > >>

GaryV:
I found out in high school, all those years ago, that the "good" kids could get away with more than the "bad" kids.  Teachers gave a bit more leniency before coming down on them for minor infractions, that those with a reputation would not get.

I'm a moderator on another (non-road-related) forum and I get H's point somewhat.  If someone new creates an account and 2 of his first 3 posts are controversial, those posts will get deleted immediately and the user will be IM'd a warning.  Or maybe get banned outright, depending on the severity of the infraction.  A member in longstanding will have the post questioned and be warned about future behavior.  Perhaps a word or sentence will be edited out of the post.

Is that a double-standard?  Sure.  But if the body of evidence is that a poster is not a habitual problem-child, moderators are more likely to act differently.  But that doesn't allow carte blanche to the old-timers. 

This isn't a political forum, so users shouldn't be expecting to see "I support XXX for YYY" messages, in posts or signatures.  Certainly politics plays a part in roads, building and maintenance, so someone posting that a government official supports roads should not be out of line.  Just don't link to his campaign website.

US71:

--- Quote from: abefroman329 on June 03, 2018, 12:09:42 PM ---So the depiction of SCA in Role Models was pretty accurate, then.

--- End quote ---

Never watched it

webny99:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on June 02, 2018, 11:08:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2018, 08:22:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: hbelkins on June 01, 2018, 10:33:56 PM ---In just about every aspect of life, things such as age, seniority, education, experience, knowledge, status in the community (this does NOT mean economic status), your personal history, and so on, these things are taken into account into how rigidly the rules are enforced. Different people get leeway with certain things and that's just a fact of life.
--- End quote ---

But that's not a good thing, is it?

--- End quote ---
Yes, it is. Otherwise, what's the point in working for years trying to build goodwill, a good reputation, and respect, if it is to no advantage for you? Of course, it's "the right thing to do," but there should be benefits in doing so.

--- End quote ---

The way I see it, being respected, having a good reputation, and so on, actually are the benefits that come with experience. I don't think additional benefits (like being exempt from rules, etc.) are called for, nor are they precedented.

US 89 did an excellent job of explaining this concept in his post above.

formulanone:
Yeah, I have a family bumper sticker, because nothing else really matters...

...well, that and old video games. In the end, nobody really gives a crap. Or carp?

Some of you kept crossing the lines every chance you got, and spoiled it. You want un-moderated discussion? Fine, gather everyone into a room and give everyone a 10-foot-long sharpened stick, because that's what it's like. Just give the loudest assholes the chance to derail every discussion every time out, and see how long it takes for things to go down the drain...

Beltway:

--- Quote from: US 89 on June 03, 2018, 01:44:20 AM ---But the thing is, you can’t just ask for special treatment just because you’ve been around longer. This is an Internet forum, and everyone is treated as equals on here (the phrase “equal justice under law” summarizes this rather well: the rules should be applied equally to everyone). If a certain user was given more leniency and special treatment than other users, they’d be seen as a more important member of the community, above other users. The danger in that is that it could imply that older users are better than newer ones, so the opinions of the newer users don’t matter as much as those of older users. That’s not a healthy environment, and it certainly isn’t conducive to new users joining. I know I wouldn’t join if I knew my voice could just get shouted down every time I said something someone might disagree with. Plus, some people just weren’t around for the “old days” and it isn’t fair to punish them for something they had absolutely no control over.

--- End quote ---

I have been posting in online roads forums since 1997 and have developed and hosted major roads websites since 1997.  My study of the topic and knowledge base goes back to 1970 and some of the photos I have posted I took that long ago.

Nevertheless, I don't expect any special treatment with regard to the enforcement of rules on moderated forums.  Seems to me that they should be applied equally and fairly to everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version