National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

[Cancelled] Boston, Massachusetts "City Meet"/"Transit Meet"?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Roadgeek Adam:
If I have the time. I knocked out 73 T stations in 2019. I could probably knock out the rest.

dgolub:
Definitely interested, but please consider waiting until after a coronavirus vaccine is widely available, as I don't plan on staying in any hotels until I'm vaccinated.

deathtopumpkins:
I might be interested. Having lived and/or worked in Boston for a decade I've seen everything on that list countless times, but depending on who else is in attendance it would be fun to hear some other perspectives... and it has been ages since we've had a proper Boston meet.

I'm almost guaranteed to pass (at least on the tour part) though if we're just relying on transit to get around. Assuming the meet would be on a weekend, traffic would be fairly light, T service would be very limited, and it would be silly not to just drive. If specific people are not comfortable driving in Boston, they can ride with others. If we can have meets in NYC involving driving, we can do it in Boston too.

cl94:

--- Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 04, 2021, 03:57:39 PM ---I'm almost guaranteed to pass (at least on the tour part) though if we're just relying on transit to get around. Assuming the meet would be on a weekend, traffic would be fairly light, T service would be very limited, and it would be silly not to just drive. If specific people are not comfortable driving in Boston, they can ride with others. If we can have meets in NYC involving driving, we can do it in Boston too.

--- End quote ---

That. We've made meets work in large cities before with minimal issues. Boston will be just fine. Transit falls apart when you have more than a couple people.

If I were doing this myself, I'd probably use transit because a) I have lines to clinch still and b) the economics would work out. But with this many people, we can just split any parking/toll costs we incur. That is what we do whenever toll roads are on a tour.

BridgesToIdealism:
If people want to drive in, I honestly don't care. I'd be taking transit in, but as long as we meet up in the same place, that's really all that matters. I would recommend though that anyone who wants to drive in to ideally find a place where you only have to park once, considering how difficult it can be to find parking in the city, let alone affordable parking in the city (to be honest, depending on where one is coming from, there are times when the cost of a commuter rail ticket is actually cheaper than the cost of parking in the city).

The reason I'm calling this a "city meet" is that there wouldn't really be a driving tour, per se. Most of everything on the list is walkable and would be conducted on foot. For instance, the Esplanade Trail along the Charles River and Storrow Drive would be traveled on foot, originating likely from North Station or one of the riverfront parks nearby. There is a direct one-seat ride connection between the Esplanade and Fort Point Channel via the Red Line (Charles/MGH --> South Station or Broadway), with Charles/MGH station being located directly underneath the south approach of the Longfellow Bridge. The Harborwalk along Fort Point Channel would then be traveled on foot.

Also keep in mind that a few things during this meet would be specifically related to transit, most notably the oldest active subway tunnel in America (Green Line at Bolyston Street & Park Street along Boston Common) and the famous historic South Station concourse building. If folks don't want to travel by transit, that's fine, though it may result in a few instances of the guests arriving somewhere before the host. But as long as we know where exactly to meet up, there shouldn't be an issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version