User Content > Road Trips

Portland, Salem, and Eugene

(1/2) > >>

Bruce:
I'm going on a road trip tomorrow and wouldn't mind some last-minute advice on things to see. So far, this is my list of must-photograph places and things:

Vancouver

- New waterfront
- Vine BRT line
- Fort Vancouver Park
- SR 14 RI/RO interchanges
- Interstate Bridge
- I-205 Bridge
- Yale Bridge (SR 503)
- Downtown Camas or Washougal

Portland

(Already seen a lot of sights here)

- I-505 stubs
- Marquam Bridge stubs
- Naito Parkway
- Streetcar barn under I-405
- Eastbank Esplanade
- Sellwood Bridge
- St Johns Bridge
- Banfield Expressway
- Lloyd Center
- MAX Orange Line in Milwauke
- Oregon City Elevator
- Downtown Troutdale

Salem and Corvallis

- Oregon Electric Railway Museum (closed, but I can get an outside peek)
- 45 degrees sign in Keizer
- State Capitol
- Willamette River bridges
- OSU campus

Eugene

- EmX BRT
- I-105 ramps
- Downtown Springfield
- OU campus and stadium

Really drawing a blank on Eugene, though.

roadman65:
Salem you have to watch now cause one specific SPUI interchange on I-5 has loads of people living in tents under the freeway with a big pile of trash from the waste created from everyday living.  I am not against this, but hope you are not one that gets uncomfortable seeing this as many would be.

Bruce:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2021, 10:58:23 PM ---Salem you have to watch now cause one specific SPUI interchange on I-5 has loads of people living in tents under the freeway with a big pile of trash from the waste created from everyday living.  I am not against this, but hope you are not one that gets uncomfortable seeing this as many would be.

--- End quote ---

I'm not too bothered by it as long as I'm not expecting to spend more than 5 minutes in the area. It's also sadly common in most Northwestern cities.

nexus73:
OU = Oklahoma  UO = Oregon.

The 105/99 junction has bridges which were considered rather beautiful when they were put in place.

To see an isolated freeway segment which would have been part of a belt road system had Eugene and ODOT moved forward, take the 30th Avenue exit from I-5 on the south side of Eugene.

Take notice of the I-5 bridges crossing the Willamette and McKenzie rivers.  They were built for handling 6 lanes. ODOT has no plan to do anything for I-5 in Eugene until 2030 at the earliest.   

If you can find it, eat at the McMenamin's that is along the river and close by to I-105.  The view is gorgeous!  You can eat inside or outdoors too. 

Rick

Bruce:

--- Quote from: nexus73 on July 20, 2021, 08:51:47 AM ---OU = Oklahoma  UO = Oregon.

The 105/99 junction has bridges which were considered rather beautiful when they were put in place.

To see an isolated freeway segment which would have been part of a belt road system had Eugene and ODOT moved forward, take the 30th Avenue exit from I-5 on the south side of Eugene.

Take notice of the I-5 bridges crossing the Willamette and McKenzie rivers.  They were built for handling 6 lanes. ODOT has no plan to do anything for I-5 in Eugene until 2030 at the earliest.   

If you can find it, eat at the McMenamin's that is along the river and close by to I-105.  The view is gorgeous!  You can eat inside or outdoors too. 

Rick

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the advice. I'll look at those junctions in Eugene and try to get down to the riverbank for a good view of the bridges.

I'm also debating on which coastal town I should visit if I have time (but likely only for one). Basically anything from Newport northward is in range for my return day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version