News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most iconic Meteorologist in each metro

Started by Flint1979, October 09, 2023, 10:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

For Detroit I have two people but someone can add more and my first one is pretty obvious and that would be Sonny Eliot. Sonny was a fixture on WWJ radio for years who was known for making jokes during his weather broadcasts.

My second choice is John McMurray. John was on WJR radio and also WJRT-TV in Flint for many years. Both are well known in Detroit broadcasting history.

index

Brad Panovich of WCNC is pretty up there in the Charlotte area.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

DTComposer

From my years in Los Angeles I would go with Dallas Raines on KABC.

Growing up in the Bay Area I'd say Pete Giddings on KGO; since I've returned I haven't watched enough local news to form an opinion.

Flint1979

NWI_Irish96

For Chicago, it is easily Tom Skilling.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

GaryV

I grew up with Buck Matthews on channel 8 in Grand Rapids. He wasn't a trained meteorologist, but he made the weather fun. Lines like, "The stationary front will stationary itself over to here tomorrow." He would draw freehand on the map with a marker as he spoke. I finally figured out that there were already yellow lines (which blended in with the background) that had already been put on the map.

vdeane

For the Albany area it's Steve Caporizzo of News10 ABC (WTEN) and Fox23 (WXXA).  He also does Pet Connection.

Judging by the memes I've seen on Facebook, I'm assuming the answer for much of Alabama is James Spann.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ted$8roadFan

Boston has so many that could fit the bill. For the current era, it's Harvey Leonard.

clong

Quote from: vdeane on October 09, 2023, 03:29:18 PM
For the Albany area it's Steve Caporizzo of News10 ABC (WTEN) and Fox23 (WXXA).  He also does Pet Connection.

Judging by the memes I've seen on Facebook, I'm assuming the answer for much of Alabama is James Spann.

James Spann is the correct answer for the Birmingham market.

XamotCGC

For Louisville Ky, I want to say ether Tom Wills and John Belski from Wave 3 or Chuck Taylor from Whas 11.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

tigerwings

Scott5114

This question hits a little bit different in the OKC metro since the weather is such a big deal here.

The all-time winner is of course KWTV's Gary England, who is enough of a legend that some of his footage from 1973 (when tornado warnings were done with dry erase markers on a sheet of plastic over what looks like a blown-up ODOT map) was used in Twister. The invention of the shaded county maps that appear in the corner of the screen has also been attributed to him. If there was a competition for "best TV meteorologist, from any market, of all time", it would be very surprising if Gary England did not win it. There's plenty of his tornado coverage on YouTube—go watch it if you want to see why.

Gary's retired now, though, and in his stead we have Mike Morgan on KFOR and England's successor on KWTV, David Payne.

Morgan is your slicked-back TV newsman type—it is said one can accurately predict how bad an upcoming severe weather event is expected to be by how flashy of a tie Morgan picked out that day. (A point in Morgan's favor in terms of iconicness is that we have a user on this forum who chose the screen name "FakeMikeMorgan".) Morgan has pulled some boneheaded moves over the years, though, such as directing people to drive away from a storm on I-35, which would have led anyone following his advice directly into harm's way.

Payne is a lunatic who has the complete opposite energy of England's calm, unflappable demeanor. (He played second fiddle to England for a few years and it seemed like he always got on England's nerves for this reason.) Payne gets all wrapped up in the drama of the event and gets very amped up and animated, randomly throwing out bizarre Oklahoma folksy-isms that make little sense and breathlessly speculating as to the EF rating of various storms while they're still on the ground. If I was being actively threatened by a tornado, I would much rather prefer England's "just the facts" approach, but when the tornado's miles away? I'd be lying if I didn't say Payne was way more entertaining. It's rare that we get a tornado outbreak where a clip of some off-the-wall Payneism doesn't get shared around for a few days.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: clong on October 09, 2023, 04:34:36 PM

He's iconic enough that sometimes people from the other ends of the country ask me if I know who he is when they find out where I'm from.

bing101

Quote from: DTComposer on October 09, 2023, 01:10:42 PMFrom my years in Los Angeles I would go with Dallas Raines on KABC.

Growing up in the Bay Area I'd say Pete Giddings on KGO; since I've returned I haven't watched enough local news to form an opinion.
Spencer Christian he replaced Pete Giddings when he moved from Good Morning America to KGO-TV. It's Amazing that Spencer Christian has been with ABC for nearly 50 years. His first role with ABC was when he was at WABC-TV New York then Good Morning America and his longest role is at KGO-TV San Francisco.

Billy F 1988

Man, it sucks that I can't think of any TV forecaster in Missoula who gets the nod of "most iconic". Too many have come and gone.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 09, 2023, 02:37:35 PM

He's certainly one of the best, but I would nominate Harry Volkman, who did weather at just about every major TV station in Chicago at one time or another, other than WBKB/WLS-TV Channel 7, in a 45-year career there.  He was a Chicago institution years before Skilling got to WGN in 1978, replacing Volkman who went to WBBM-TV/2 that year.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

bing101

Dang Sacramento TV Stations has produced TV Talent that later became legendary in the top 10 TV Markets.

For weather specifically if I were to make a pick it's Mark Finan for KCRA-TV.

https://www.kcra.com/news-team/91e58f02-41cd-4c99-b4a8-29a4ac6c16e4

wriddle082

Nashville's most iconic was definitely Bill Hall on WSMV Channel 4, who was probably one of the first popular African-American weathercasters on local news.  Though not a trained meteorologist, he was the most trusted and admired weather personality from 1974 to his retirement in 2005 (he passed away in 2011).  He also hosted a weekend outdoors show in the 80's and 90's that featured him fishing and hunting with several country music celebrities.  I remember an episode where he went fishing with Jerry Reed, and Jerry just cracked wise almost the entire time, Bill was crying from laughing so hard, and they caught nothing!

The eventual demise of WSMV's "dream team" of Dan Miller and Demetria Kalidimos as news co-anchors, Bill Hall on weather, and Rudy Kalis on sports was one of the primary causes of WSMV's news going from ranked a solid first place throughout the 80's to third place for close to 15 years now, plus poor station management and the way they handled letting go of Demetria.  Hopefully their current owners Gray Television will improve their fortunes, as they have experience running successful first place stations in other markets.

roadman65

Years ago in the New York Market there was one named Lloyd Lindsey Young who used to say Hello in a Tarzan call manner.

Helllllllllllllllllllllllo!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jmd41280

In Pittsburgh, we had Joe DeNardo on WTAE Channel 4 for many years. He was an icon in the Pittsburgh area and would visit local schools every Wednesday to speak to the students. He was highly touted for his accurate forecasts (who in Pittsburgh doesn't remember the "Joe Said It Would" commercials back in the '90s?) and charity work.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Henry

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 09, 2023, 08:09:48 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 09, 2023, 02:37:35 PM

He's certainly one of the best, but I would nominate Harry Volkman, who did weather at just about every major TV station in Chicago at one time or another, other than WBKB/WLS-TV Channel 7, in a 45-year career there.  He was a Chicago institution years before Skilling got to WGN in 1978, replacing Volkman who went to WBBM-TV/2 that year.
In addition, Harry Volkman had two separate stints each at WMAQ (Channel 5) and WGN in the 60s and 70s. Although I liked Skilling on WGN, Volkman is much more memorable.

I'm Googling Seattle's most iconic meteorologists, and two names come to mind: Walter Kelley and Harry Wappler. When I relocated from L.A. in 2000, Harry was nearing the end of his career, and thus I never got to see enough of him, so I'm leaning towards Walter as the top weatherman in Seattle.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

chrisdiaz

Myrtle Beach is Ed Piotrowski, hands down.

Bruce

Quote from: Henry on October 09, 2023, 10:25:48 PM
I'm Googling Seattle's most iconic meteorologists, and two names come to mind: Walter Kelley and Harry Wappler. When I relocated from L.A. in 2000, Harry was nearing the end of his career, and thus I never got to see enough of him, so I'm leaning towards Walter as the top weatherman in Seattle.

Steve Pool was by far the most iconic Seattle weatherman. He was part of a long-running trio at KOMO and only retired in 2019.

jeffandnicole

Philly would be Jim O'Brien from Channel 6, ABC. He was killed in a skydiving accident in September, 1983.

froggie

Quote from: formulanone on October 09, 2023, 06:37:54 PM
Quote from: clong on October 09, 2023, 04:34:36 PM

He's iconic enough that sometimes people from the other ends of the country ask me if I know who he is when they find out where I'm from.

A not-small number of my fellow mets follow him on social media.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.