News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Looking for the best weather place

Started by Dough4872, November 01, 2023, 11:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriverDave

vdeane

Quote from: bing101 on November 04, 2023, 07:33:52 AM
Here is a map where you can find which areas have a climate that's just right for you.

I'm not sure I trust any map that claims that Long Island has the same climate as most of Florida.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hunty2022

I wouldn't pick here (Central VA). Every weekend in the summer has at least one thunderstorm.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

bing101

Quote from: vdeane on November 04, 2023, 04:51:10 PM
Here is a map where you can find which areas have a climate that's just right for you.

I'm not sure I trust any map that claims that Long Island has the same climate as most of Florida.
One expects Long Island to be in the same climate zone as Chicago though as in Continental climate. But then again data over a long period of time was considered.

vdeane

Quote from: bing101 on November 06, 2023, 07:47:17 AM
Quote from: vdeane on November 04, 2023, 04:51:10 PM

One expects Long Island to be in the same climate zone as Chicago though as in Continental climate. But then again data over a long period of time was considered.

Eh, I wouldn't, but then, I live near Albany, so the weather maps I see regularly show the temperature difference.  But Long Island has a winter, while I doubt anyone living in the north would consider Florida to have a winter.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

While I agree that Long Island does not have the same climate as Florida... a Long Island winter is probably more comparable to a Florida winter than it is to an upstate/western NY winter.   :)

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on November 07, 2023, 10:47:12 AM
While I agree that Long Island does not have the same climate as Florida... a Long Island winter is probably more comparable to a Florida winter than it is to an upstate/western NY winter.   :)
No.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on November 07, 2023, 11:35:55 AM

No.

I had made some graphs illustrating this point, but then my computer completely locked up and I had to pull the plug to restart it.  And I'm not too eager to re-input the data.  Suffice it to say that, at least when it comes to average monthly temperatures, Hempstead (NY) is a lot more like Rome (NY) than it is like Gainesville (FL).

ETA:  Ah, good old document recovery!

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

I wouldn't say that.  For one thing, it gets down to freezing and snows on the regular on Long Island.  Not as much as around Albany, must less areas to the north or west, but still.  As I understand it, such are rare events in Florida.

Incidentally, I think you might have just accused Albany of being downstate there, given that we only get half the snow that Rochester does, at least in a normal year.

webny99

Mostly, I was just making fun of Long Island. The ocean prevents temperatures from falling dramatically below freezing and winter precipitation often falls as rain - not just relative to upstate, even relative to inland areas like Orange and Dutchess.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 07, 2023, 12:53:55 PM
Mostly, I was just making fun of Long Island. The ocean prevents temperatures from falling dramatically below freezing and winter precipitation often falls as rain - not just relative to upstate, even relative to inland areas like Orange and Dutchess.

106 inches = Average annual snowfall in Rome, New York
65 inches = Average annual snowfall in Fairbanks, Alaska
23 inches = Average annual snowfall in Hempstead, Long Island, New York
18 inches = Average annual snowfall in Kansas City, Missouri
0 inches = Average annual snowfall in Gainesville, Florida
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2023, 01:06:26 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 07, 2023, 12:53:55 PM

106 inches = Average annual snowfall in Rome, New York
65 inches = Average annual snowfall in Fairbanks, Alaska
23 inches = Average annual snowfall in Hempstead, Long Island, New York
18 inches = Average annual snowfall in Kansas City, Missouri
0 inches = Average annual snowfall in Gainesville, Florida

What's the average snowfall in Antarctica?

Scott5114

Note that the Koppen map distinguishes between types of climates. Two things can be the same type without being identical. While on a human scale, temperature is probably the first thing we notice, it is not the whole picture. So I would suppose someone who knows more about Koppen climate categorization could point out the things that Gainesville and Hempstead have in common that make them the same "climate type".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on November 07, 2023, 04:38:04 PM

Somewhere between 2 inches and 7 inches per year, depending on what source you read.

However, it varies quite a lot between the coast and inland.  McMurdo Station gets an average of 58 inches of snow per year.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2023, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: GaryV on November 07, 2023, 04:38:04 PM

Somewhere between 2 inches and 7 inches per year, depending on what source you read.

However, it varies quite a lot between the coast and inland.  McMurdo Station gets an average of 58 inches of snow per year.
The Antarctic Desert is one of the driest on Earth...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 07, 2023, 04:52:44 PM
Note that the Koppen map distinguishes between types of climates. Two things can be the same type without being identical. While on a human scale, temperature is probably the first thing we notice, it is not the whole picture. So I would suppose someone who knows more about Koppen climate categorization could point out the things that Gainesville and Hempstead have in common that make them the same "climate type".

For climates that aren't polar (average temp less than 50F in all months - Köppen prefix E), some type of arid/semiarid (prefix B), or tropical (average temp greater than 64.4F in all months - prefix A), the Köppen classification distinguishes three things:

1. Extent of cold season - this is measured by the average temperature in coldest month. If this is less than 26.6F or 32F, depending on the definition you use, it is a continental climate (prefix D). Between that 26.6/32F threshold and 64F, it is considered temperate (prefix C). If it were warmer than 64.4F, it'd be tropical.

2. Seasonality of precipitation - as determined by dry season. In dry winter climates (Köppen w), the driest winter month has less than 10% of the precipitation of the wettest summer month. Dry summer climates (s) have the driest summer month with less than 33% of the precipitation of the wettest winter month. If it doesn't meet either of those criteria, the precip is considered more or less evenly distributed, and f is used.

3. Degree of summer warmth. Hot summer climates (Köppen a) have at least four months average over 50F, and at least one averages over 71.6F. Warm summer (b) have at least four monthly averages over 50F but none over 71.6F. Cool summer (c) has 1 to 3 months over 50F - any less and it'd be a polar climate. There is also a cold-winter variant (d)for continental climates involving 1-3 months over 50F and the coldest winter month average below -36.4F, but these climates are not found outside of interior Siberia.

By those definitions, Gainesville and Hempstead both have a "temperate" winter, evenly distributed precipitation, and a hot summer, thus the Cfa climate class. That class is relatively broad, and Gainesville and Hempstead are at opposite ends of that distribution - Hempstead's winter is almost cold enough to be continental, and Gainesville's winter isn't too much colder than that required for a tropical climate.

kkt

Quote from: Dough4872 on November 01, 2023, 11:42:27 PM
I am looking for what place in the United States has the best weather. I would like to find a place that is usually sunny and 70 most of the time year-round with minimal rain and no snow.

San Francisco mid-peninsula - around Palo Alto, Menlo Park, and Redwood City.  Lots of sun.  Freezes are rare, and temperatures above about 85 are unusual.

The city of San Francisco is in the fog belt and rarely gets over 65.

Either way, make sure you're sitting down before you look through the real estate listings.

epzik8

Quote from: kkt on January 12, 2024, 08:38:43 PM
I am looking for what place in the United States has the best weather. I would like to find a place that is usually sunny and 70 most of the time year-round with minimal rain and no snow.

San Francisco mid-peninsula - around Palo Alto, Menlo Park, and Redwood City.  Lots of sun.  Freezes are rare, and temperatures above about 85 are unusual.

Either way, make sure you're sitting down before you look through the real estate listings.

I've always found it fascinating how San Francisco is basically in a different climate than Sacramento.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jlam

Quote from: epzik8 on February 03, 2024, 03:58:23 PM
I've always found it fascinating how San Francisco is basically in a different climate than Sacramento.
Yup. That's what the ocean and mountains would do. Sacramento typically gets a lot hotter than San Francisco.

bing101

Quote from: epzik8 on February 03, 2024, 03:58:23 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 12, 2024, 08:38:43 PM

If you live in cities like Benicia, Vallejo, Fairfield and Suisun City in Solano County, CA we get a mix of both Sacramento and Bay Area weather at the same time given that these places are at the border of CSC and CSB Mediterranean climate. It's that we get both variants of the Mediterranean climate.

webny99

One thing I was surprised to learn is that hardly anyone in the Bay area has central air conditioning. The homes warm up in the afternoon/evening but cool right off throughout the night.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2024, 02:30:23 PM
One thing I was surprised to learn is that hardly anyone in the Bay area has central air conditioning. The homes warm up in the afternoon/evening but cool right off throughout the night.

That used to be the case in Denver too back in the day. We didn't have central air in a new build when I moved here originally in 1993.

Bruce

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2024, 02:30:23 PM

Also the case in Seattle, until very recently. The 2021 heat dome event broke most of us.

bing101

Here is one if one wants to find the best climate outside of the United States. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.