News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Area-specific soft drinks

Started by mcdonaat, February 24, 2014, 01:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

Quote from: getemngo on April 02, 2014, 07:11:17 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on April 02, 2014, 06:42:59 PM
Usually you can tell because Pepsi bottlers will use the standard Pepsi bottle, while Coke and "third tier" bottlers will use a specific Dr Pepper bottle.

I'm not sure there is what you'd call a "standard" Pepsi bottle, because it varies from region to region. For example, I see this Mountain Dew bottle in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Wisconsin, and Indiana:

But I see this Mountain Dew bottle in Grand Rapids and Detroit:

...and it's been like that since at least 2011, so if the former is a "new" design and the latter an "old" design, they're taking their sweet time rolling it out nationwide.

Hello there, I work for a vending company :)  The style of bottle is indeed up to the individual bottler, not Pepsi in general. For example, we get our Pepsi product from two different bottlers depending on its intended destination. Anything (even Mt. Dew) coming from PBC Bottlers in NE Ohio has the "old" design, while Mt. Dew coming from G&J Pepsi in Columbus and SE Ohio has the new bottle, and all other Pepsi products look like this:

And let me tell you, the new design is a pain in the ass in older pop machines.

mcdonaat

That might be a problem in the older pop machines, but our older soda machines LOVE the new bottles!! Kidding, of course.

I can't remember the last time I bought a drink out of a soda machine. I usually visit my local gas station, since machines don't have the throwback Pepsi or the Mexican Strawberry Fanta. However, I've personally leaned towards buying 7up products only.

JMoses24

I saw the "new" Mountain Dew bottle here in Kentucky about a week ago. I don't have a preference as to which one I get...if it contains Dew, I'm happy.

mcdonaat

Cheerwine was mentioned on here earlier - I had my first bottle today, and loved it!

formulanone

Quote from: mcdonaat on February 24, 2014, 01:12:56 AM
I'm sitting here typing this topic while drinking a Dr Pepper. The only difference is, this Dr Pepper is sweetened with Imperial cane sugar, in a very heavy 8oz glass bottle... the Dr Pepper tastes like it's sweetened with cane syrup or caramel!

Bumping this because I've just tried the 8oz bottles of Dr. Pepper, and it tastes awesome...thanks for the tip!

(Wish I could pack a few in my suitcase, but glass, liquid, cold temps, and pressurization changes in checked luggage is an unpleasant mess waiting to happen...)

kurumi

Foxon Park soda (a small outfit in East Haven, CT for 90 years) is the traditional accompaniment at Louis' Lunch (birthplace of the hamburger, though there are disputes about that) and the New Haven pizza places. Never seen it outside CT.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

mcdonaat

Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2014, 09:59:19 AM
Quote from: mcdonaat on February 24, 2014, 01:12:56 AM
I'm sitting here typing this topic while drinking a Dr Pepper. The only difference is, this Dr Pepper is sweetened with Imperial cane sugar, in a very heavy 8oz glass bottle... the Dr Pepper tastes like it's sweetened with cane syrup or caramel!

Bumping this because I've just tried the 8oz bottles of Dr. Pepper, and it tastes awesome...thanks for the tip!

(Wish I could pack a few in my suitcase, but glass, liquid, cold temps, and pressurization changes in checked luggage is an unpleasant mess waiting to happen...)
No problem! If you can find it, they do make Dr Pepper Classic, as I call it, in 12oz cans.

Late edit: Dr Pepper is also made with the cane sugar for a 2.5 gallon BiB (bag in box). Imagine pure cane sugar-sweetened Dr Pepper flowing out of the McDonalds close to you!

Nexus 7

jdb1234

Just noticed over the past few days that the Walmart i work in Birmingham has started selling Cheerwine.

mcdonaat

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 21, 2014, 12:52:22 PM
Just noticed over the past few days that the Walmart i work in Birmingham has started selling Cheerwine.
Strangely enough, Walmart in my area, and Monroe in the distribution area to the north, are both selling Fanta Cherry. It's not listed as an existing flavor on the Fanta website, and the UPC code comes up blank.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.