News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

AARoads Page Corrections

Started by Scott5114, February 16, 2009, 11:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyle

I'm really, really sorry if I come across as "inhumanly belittling". I wasn't criticizing the webmaster; I was simply trying to help him improve his website. I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I totally, totally understand how hard it must be to maintain such a huge website, and I know very well that everyone makes mistakes. I do love this website, and I want it to be the best that it can be. I'm sorry for sounding condescending; I really don't mean to be.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Lyle on April 16, 2010, 03:52:18 PM
I'm really, really sorry if I come across as "inhumanly belittling". I wasn't criticizing the webmaster; I was simply trying to help him improve his website. I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I totally, totally understand how hard it must be to maintain such a huge website, and I know very well that everyone makes mistakes. I do love this website, and I want it to be the best that it can be. I'm sorry for sounding condescending; I really don't mean to be.

It just came across as a rattled-off list of problems.  Maybe just send them to Alex privately? 

I'm quite far away from a perfectionist; if you ever started looking at the shield gallery, by about the 6000th error, I think even you would give up  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Dougtone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 16, 2010, 08:24:05 PM
Quote from: Lyle on April 16, 2010, 03:52:18 PM

It just came across as a rattled-off list of problems.  Maybe just send them to Alex privately? 

I'm quite far away from a perfectionist; if you ever started looking at the shield gallery, by about the 6000th error, I think even you would give up  :sombrero:

I'm not a perfectionist either, but I do understand that quality control is important.  But since I've been publicly outed for not updating certain pages or not fixing glaring errors in the past, I think a private message for correcting errors is probably the most considerate way to go.

Lyle

OK. I'll do that from now on.

agentsteel53

Quote from: dougtone on April 17, 2010, 05:46:55 AM

I'm not a perfectionist either, but I do understand that quality control is important.  But since I've been publicly outed for not updating certain pages or not fixing glaring errors in the past, I think a private message for correcting errors is probably the most considerate way to go.

there's a difference between "this should be I-81, not I-91" (essentially self-correcting - if you've been looking at the 81 page in Virginia, and every other caption says 81, you can figure out the intent ...) vs. the sort of error that I'd really like brought to my attention, like "oh hey your index.php is 404'ing".

I am gonna add some more SQL hooks to the shield gallery for "report a problem with this page" that'll trigger a "fixme" flag in the database that I can review periodically.  Like I said, there's gotta be about 6000 errors in the shield gallery right now!  :-D

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

6001!! LOL  :spin: I found a picture missing the other day for Florida 87 that I will try to fix today. The thumbnail is there but the picture is not...

agentsteel53

Quote from: flaroadgeek on April 18, 2010, 10:26:05 AM
6001!! LOL  :spin: I found a picture missing the other day for Florida 87 that I will try to fix today. The thumbnail is there but the picture is not...

for some reason, we have a lot of that error.  Anyone clicking on a page that results in no photos being displayed will trigger the setting of a "fixme" flag.  The "oops, we found no associated photos - the webmaster is being notified" message is true, not just a platitude.    :clap:

now if only I get around to checking the fixmes.  Some Jim Lindsay shots coming today...

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-579_pa.html

The image isn't showing up at the top under the text "Interstate 579 Pennsylvania".

agentsteel53

oh dear, it's a direct link to a PHP page on the shield gallery, as opposed to the shield image itself.  Alex, please change the URL to:

www.aaroads.com/shields/img/PA/PA19795791i1.jpg

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

There are bound to be many more of those with bad links.

The I-579 image is fixed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.