AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

on: September 27, 2022, 07:57:43 PM 
Started by Beltway - Last post by 74/171FAN
Well not quite yet.

Motorist are urged to drive with caution as they navigate the area. Traffic is being restricted to one lane in each direction as New Enterprise Stone & Lime continues construction. 

on: September 27, 2022, 07:57:35 PM 
Started by kenarmy - Last post by webny99
But we don't know.  Maybe I'm fated to die in an accident in 2 years, and giving up 6 months might have been a pretty fine 6 months.  My grandmother lived to 89, living on her own for the last 5 years, and fully capable.

I was thinking along these lines too. Who's to say when that month will be, and what your life would be like at that point? It's impossible to answer without knowing when life ends.

on: September 27, 2022, 07:53:35 PM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by webny99
It's usually easier to persuade voters that the opponent is a rotten scounderel than that the campaigner is a great leader.

Because the former is bound to be somewhat true, while the latter is bound to be somewhat false.

You could also take a glass-half-full approach and say that the former is bound to be somewhat false, while the latter is bound to be somewhat true... ... but it's a little harder to convince oneself of each of those cases, isn't it?

on: September 27, 2022, 07:50:55 PM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by kphoger
It's usually easier to persuade voters that the opponent is a rotten scounderel than that the campaigner is a great leader.

Because the former is bound to be somewhat true, while the latter is bound to be somewhat false.

on: September 27, 2022, 07:47:47 PM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by webny99
Of course, this is why many employers offer severance pay when terminating an employee, so they have an income while they search for a new job.

I wouldn't say many employers. Quite few in fact.

It's probably more situation-dependent than company-dependent. I'd guess most companies do at least sometimes, as it helps prevent the termination from ending on a bad note... and the higher the position the more likely that would be.

on: September 27, 2022, 07:46:42 PM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by kkt
To raise a minor annoyance aside from sagging jeans and employment:

Political ads on TV. Iím at the point where I just hit "mute" when they cut to commercial at this time of year.

It's especially annoying when all the ad intends to do is make you hate the opponent.  There's a political ad that airs multiple times during every episode of Burn Notice my wife and I watch on Huluóand I still have no idea who they want me to vote for.  All they do is bad-mouth their opponent, which might make a lot more sense if I already knew who was in the race.

My response to anyone bad-mouthing the opponent:  I'm not interested in why the other person/party is wrong for the job; I want to hear specifics on why YOUR person/party is RIGHT for the job.  Every time I have used that line on a campaigner, I have been met with a blank stare and silence as apparently his/her 8-track slips off the spools.

on: September 27, 2022, 07:41:54 PM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by Urban Prairie Schooner
US 90 in many parts of La, need to have serious grading done at bridges.  Obviously LaDOT didnít grade the freeway parts near Raceland, Houma, and Morgan City too well.

Occupational hazard of constructing a freeway through a swamp.

on: September 27, 2022, 07:35:01 PM 
Started by kenarmy - Last post by kkt
But we don't know.  Maybe I'm fated to die in an accident in 2 years, and giving up 6 months might have been a pretty fine 6 months.  My grandmother lived to 89, living on her own for the last 5 years, and fully capable.

on: September 27, 2022, 07:34:33 PM 
Started by Beltway - Last post by webny99
(For PA 147) PennDOT - District 3 News: CSVT Northern Section Changing Traffic Patterns Today

With the remainder of the SB roadway now opening/open, does that mean the Northern Section is officially 100% complete?

on: September 27, 2022, 07:31:18 PM 
Started by Hunty2022 - Last post by webny99
NY 214?

I'm curious if I've been in the right area here, and we are due for a county reveal...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.