AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Bike Lanes  (Read 15642 times)

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
Re: Bike Lanes
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2022, 10:02:16 PM »

↑ Does the MUTCD have a carveout that allows primary bike signals to be smaller? 12" is the minimum for car signals, so it could be worded in such a way that it applies to bike signals too.

8" signals for standard signals are still permitted in certain circumstances...

Kphoger already shared this a few posts up.

So he did.  I just saw "Yes.  The IA specifically allows smaller sizes to be used for bicycle signals." and glared over the rest, thinking he was posting about signal sizes for bikes.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2022, 09:10:52 AM »

Technically, I didn't include paragraph 01.   :biggrin:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Amtrakprod

• In support of an all flashing yellow arrow USA!

• Last Login: November 27, 2023, 05:46:55 PM
    • Amtrak Productions
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2022, 09:11:22 AM »

My preference bike signal size wise now is 4" nearside, and 8" far-side, but it all depends on the size of the intersection. If you noticed in that Portland post, there is an addition section on the bike signal that has a countdown to green. Pretty interesting ! https://bikeportland.org/2020/08/07/nifty-new-bike-signal-added-to-broadway-williams-intersection-319054
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Georgia Guardrail

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:38:17 AM
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2022, 09:20:23 PM »

I prefer wider sidewalks verses bike lanes because that way cyclists are separated from the cars.  Also if a cyclist takes a spill on a sidewalk, it would be a lot less dangerous then taking one on a narrow road with cars speeding behind you.

Also something for cities and Live Work Play communities to consider would be instead of crosswalks to implement pedestrian/bicycle bridges over busy intersections and/or lit tunnels underneath the roads.

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: Today at 02:16:41 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2022, 09:24:12 PM »

I prefer wider sidewalks verses bike lanes because that way cyclists are separated from the cars.  Also if a cyclist takes a spill on a sidewalk, it would be a lot less dangerous then taking one on a narrow road with cars speeding behind you.

Also something for cities and Live Work Play communities to consider would be instead of crosswalks to implement pedestrian/bicycle bridges over busy intersections and/or lit tunnels underneath the roads.

Shared bike/pedestrian paths suck, especially in built-up areas. Too many points of conflict.

Bridges and underpasses also take too long for cyclists and pedestrians. It's pretty common for them to be bypassed entirely in favor of just running across lanes of traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.