News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sr641

US 41 in Indiana is labeled as US 41 in Illinois.
Isaac

InterstateNG

Keep trollin trollin trollin.

Dipshit.
I demand an apology.

sr641

Quote from: InterstateNG on May 21, 2012, 05:38:18 PM

Dipshit.

How am I trolling. I just put a google maP ERROR.
Isaac

Alex

Quote from: sr641 on May 21, 2012, 05:41:19 PM
Quote from: InterstateNG on May 21, 2012, 05:38:18 PM

Dipshit.

How am I trolling. I just put a google maP ERROR.

It has been specifically written in several posts above about this particular WELL-KNOWN error.

Alps

Next person to post about US X in Y, unless it's explicitly sexual, will have his or her name changed to "sr642".

hbelkins

KY 2565 is the old routing of US 23 through Louisa between KY 32 in town and US 23 south of town.

Driving down US 23 yesterday, and tracking my trip with the EveryTrail app for iDevices (which uses Google maps) I noticed that 2565 is co-signed with 23 well south of Louisa into Johnson County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Stephane Dumas

I already mentionned it in the past, Google maps corrected it once but they "recomissioned" again US-66.
http://goo.gl/maps/tcPV

kendancy66

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 03, 2012, 06:29:59 PM
I already mentionned it in the past, Google maps corrected it once but they "recomissioned" again US-66.

That is a mistake I can live with.

NE2

holy crap u.s. route 47 in alaska is in florida
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

corco

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

I do not know if this was mentioned, but US 71 is listed on both old and new alignments north of Pineville, MO.  According to street view, the old road is signed as Business US 71.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Don't know if that specific one has been mentioned, but it is a known error -- not one that's been discussed ad nauseum in this thread though.  Google has trouble with bannered routes, namely that they don't show banners at all.

My favorite example (that I'm sure I have posted in this thread before) is Niagara Falls, NY, where three consecutive streets are labelled US 62.  Ferry and Walnut (the one-way pair) are US 62 mainline, Pine should be US 62 Business.

My second favorite is anywhere where there's a surface street labelled with a red, white, and blue Interstate shield (that's supposed to be a green one).

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: kendancy66 on June 03, 2012, 06:53:22 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 03, 2012, 06:29:59 PM

That is a mistake I can live with.

Maybe, we should encourage them to make other good mistakes like marking WS-99, OR-99 and CA-99 as US-99. ;)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Kacie Jane on June 03, 2012, 09:11:45 PM
My second favorite is anywhere where there's a surface street labelled with a red, white, and blue Interstate shield (that's supposed to be a green one).

Google's been doing that from the start of having maps on their site.  It seems like they don't care about fixing it.

pianocello

That kind of business interstate signage isn't that big a deal, IMO, since you can easily tell it's not the mainline. What is a problem is when the business route is a freeway, like green 80 in CA or green 40 in NC.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

BigMattFromTexas

I apparently live in Illinois... Haha. Pretty close.. :-D
I actually used to think Google Maps was superior to the others.. But this is just like... childish..
BigMatt

formulanone

Brace yourself for a 4dus shield...US 1700 in Illinois?

(I know, it's very obviously county road 1700 along US Route 24, sumthinerother.)

Takumi

VA 162 is still shown on its pre-1994 routing when it still went through Williamsburg.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Dr Frankenstein

NY 987F (Sprain Brook Parkway) is signed all of a sudden.

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 08, 2012, 08:32:02 PM
NY 987F (Sprain Brook Parkway) is signed all of a sudden.
Related but unrelated: NJDOT map is based on their GIS work (which I love, rather than contracting out to a mapping company), and that means every state highway has at least one shield. Including NY's reference routes.

mjb2002

I just got a long standing error corrected on Thursday: In Aiken County, the name of US 78 on Google Maps kept showing up as Charleston Augusta Road when it is Charleston Highway between Windsor and Aiken.

I am going around the CSRA, using paper maps and Bing maps to assist me, in correcting the other naming errors in Earth.

tidecat

Not so much an error as it is a case of outdated information:

If you drag the little orange person to the 400 Block of W 2nd Street in Owensboro, Kentucky, the Executive Inn Rivermont can be seen in street view, even though Google's aerial map of Owensboro reflects that the hotel has been demolished.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.