News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

US-17 Business in New Bern NC is incorrectly shown to be signed all the way through town on MLK Jr Blvd, Neuse Blvd, Broad St, and then a right turn along East Front St across the bridge to the US-17/US-70 interchange at the Neuse River Bridge. It actually terminates at the interchange with the US-17/US-70 freeway just east of the mall on MLK Jr Blvd.

The portion east of this interchange along the alignment that I typed above used to be US-70 Business before the new US-17 freeway was opened west of New Bern a few years ago, I am not sure why NCDOT decided to drop it.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

dfwmapper

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 19, 2015, 10:47:46 AM
In Spring City, TN, TN 68 is shown going down the wrong road.
It needs to be going along this road rather than through the  downtown.
Quote from: slorydn1 on March 19, 2015, 12:34:10 PM
US-17 Business in New Bern NC is incorrectly shown to be signed all the way through town on MLK Jr Blvd, Neuse Blvd, Broad St, and then a right turn along East Front St across the bridge to the US-17/US-70 interchange at the Neuse River Bridge. It actually terminates at the interchange with the US-17/US-70 freeway just east of the mall on MLK Jr Blvd.

The portion east of this interchange along the alignment that I typed above used to be US-70 Business before the new US-17 freeway was opened west of New Bern a few years ago, I am not sure why NCDOT decided to drop it.
Both fixed, though it may take some time to update.

Zeffy

CT 4 is marked as "CT-4" in the county route rectangle, when it's a state route.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

dfwmapper

Zeffy

Somebody downgraded I-676 in Camden and Philadelphia to a non-freeway road. That's technically true, but only for certain parts of it. The entire road in Camden is a freeway, and the bridge should be one too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9569859,-75.1319161,14z

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Zeffy on March 24, 2015, 10:11:59 PM
Somebody downgraded I-676 in Camden and Philadelphia to a non-freeway road. That's technically true, but only for certain parts of it. The entire road in Camden is a freeway, and the bridge should be one too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9569859,-75.1319161,14z

Good luck in trying to get that fixed.  I-381 says hi.

dfwmapper

I'll see if I can get I-676 fixed.

The set of overgrown ramps that somehow got an Interstate designation is fine the way it is.

Zeffy

Quote from: dfwmapper on March 24, 2015, 11:09:18 PM
The set of overgrown ramps that somehow got an Interstate designation is fine the way it is.

Not really sure why it couldn't just be VA 381 for the entirety...

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on March 24, 2015, 11:16:49 PM
Quote from: dfwmapper on March 24, 2015, 11:09:18 PM

Not really sure why it couldn't just be VA 381 for the entirety...

Agree. It's worse than I-790 and it might just be below I-587. At least the latter doesn't consist of an interchange and its ramps.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dfwmapper

I-676 is fixed, should be updated on the map within a couple hours.

vdeane

I-81 on Wellesley Island is also marked as not a freeway.  I'm guessing that Google can't conceive of the fact that ON 137 on Hill Island is a non-freeway but I-81 on Wellesley Island is a freeway, since no matter what they classify it at a given time, they're both always classified the same.  Always.  They probably don't like the fact that both spans of the Thousand Islands Bridge are two lanes undivided as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dfwmapper

It's the two lane undivided parts that do it in. I've tried to get other super 2's like the eastern part of the Mountain Parkway in Kentucky and Loop 49 around Tyler, TX, marked as freeways, but they almost always get denied, or if they do get approved, someone comes back later and undoes the change.

vdeane

They didn't seem to be an issue for the first year of the current map style when both were marked as freeways.  At the very least they could mark the stuff that is actually ON Wellesley Island as a freeway.  As it is, the freeway color in Google Maps is completely useless (especially since it's used in many countries on roads that aren't even limited access; if my apartment was in Africa, the parking lot would be colored freeway orange on Google Maps, I'm sure of it).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Thing 342

VA-199 is marked as a freeway for its entire length, as opposed to just the sections between 64 and SR-621 and VA-5 and I-64.

Mr. Matté

Mapquest this time, the shot below was used by the Star-Ledger to report on a pedestrian death in Toms River, NJ:

Zeffy

I sincerely hope that no one actually thought CR 549 was an Interstate.

Bickendan

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 26, 2015, 12:15:09 PM
Mapquest this time, the shot below was used by the Star-Ledger to report on a pedestrian death in Toms River, NJ:

Can't say I've seen many Spur Interstate outside of Baltimore...

Just checked this one on OSM/MQ. MQ tiles show square marker Spur 549 and OSM tiles show (549 Spur).

MQ.com is showing the I-shield, so something's causing it to read the Spur tag as an Interstate; there was a Spur I-524 in the vicinity.

dfwmapper

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 26, 2015, 08:36:08 AM
VA-199 is marked as a freeway for its entire length, as opposed to just the sections between 64 and SR-621 and VA-5 and I-64.
Yeah that's wrong. Looks like it would make a good expressway though, see what I can do about that.

Bruce

U.S. Route 99 is back, at least from Everett to Blaine and in Tacoma.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on March 30, 2015, 08:43:51 PM

Does the routing match up with the original alignment (where the freeway didn't replace the original road)? Interested because I don't think 99 ever followed South Tacoma Way.

EDIT: Some of the addresses even show up as "xxxx U.S. 99". :-D

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2015, 08:55:12 PM

Does the routing match up with the original alignment (where the freeway didn't replace the original road)? Interested because I don't think 99 ever followed South Tacoma Way.

Not sure about Tacoma, but it generally follows the last non-expressway sections of U.S. Route 99. The real oddity is on the Pioneer Highway between Arlington and Stanwood, which US 99 was moved from in the 1930s, though it was a state highway until 1991.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2015, 08:55:12 PM

99 absolutely followed South Tacoma Way. This is the first time I've seen Google put shields on it, but last year when I lived a few blocks off of it, out would occasionally tell me to turn right on "South Tacoma Way/U.S. 99" when using navigation on my phone.

Bruce

The only section of highway in Washington state that has any right to call itself US 99 is the viaduct, solely because of the shield on Columbia Street's on ramp.

dfwmapper

Somehow "Historic U.S. 99" lost the Historic part and gained the flag that puts a shield on the map. :banghead:

CNGL-Leudimin

Not a highway, but click anywhere in the North Pacific Ocean (Only works on the new Maps)...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.