News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road-Related Murals/Art

Started by Zeffy, August 29, 2015, 09:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

While browsing on GMSV earlier, I came across this wonderful work of art in Rolla, MO. With Missouri being a very proud state of it's US 66 heritage, I was wondering if there are any other works of art like this that show pride in a road that runs/ran through the area?

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9513869,-91.7715567,3a,51.4y,218.98h,86.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sm2YXhLclVdColHMHBD2Gig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Bruce

Here's a mural depicting the history of Seattle and her transportation systems (roads, railways, bridges, ferries, seaplanes, airplanes) located at Roosevelt Way & NE 66th Street, right next to the future Roosevelt light rail station.

Mural of Seattle's transportation history by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Pete from Boston

I don't have a photo, but on the back of MicroCenter in Cambridge, Mass., is a mural of protestors blocking a bulldozer attempting to build the Inner Belt (I-695) at that point, a scene that never happened since construction never began. 

The bulldozer operator looks weary of the whole thing.

wphiii

Lincoln Highway-themed barn on U.S. 30 in PA.

BamaZeus

At some point, someone has to draw a road tunnel like Wile E. Coyote in hopes that someone will drive right through it.

OCGuy81

Quote from: BamaZeus on September 02, 2015, 11:13:07 AM
At some point, someone has to draw a road tunnel like Wile E. Coyote in hopes that someone will drive right through it.

LMAO! I love it. 

Utah's license plates always reminded me of a Roadrunner cartoon.  Must be the orange-ish red color scheme of the rocks.

Big John

Quote from: Zeffy on August 29, 2015, 09:23:31 PM
While browsing on GMSV earlier, I came across this wonderful work of art in Rolla, MO. With Missouri being a very proud state of it's US 66 heritage, I was wondering if there are any other works of art like this that show pride in a road that runs/ran through the area?

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9513869,-91.7715567,3a,51.4y,218.98h,86.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sm2YXhLclVdColHMHBD2Gig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
How much appreciation does it gate as it is facing the opposite direction of a one-way street?

US71

Joplin, MO and Galena, KS have route 66 murals.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Pete from Boston

Quote from: wphiii on September 01, 2015, 04:48:13 PM

Lincoln Highway-themed barn on U.S. 30 in PA.

There are quite a few murals celebrating the Lincoln Highway in Pennsylvania.  The collective effort by so many little towns to hype it up for the benefit of local tourism has contributed (to me) to an inability to really enjoy the historic artifact for what it is.

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 02, 2015, 11:27:51 AM
Quote from: BamaZeus on September 02, 2015, 11:13:07 AM

LMAO! I love it. 

Utah's license plates always reminded me of a Roadrunner cartoon.  Must be the orange-ish red color scheme of the rocks.

There is a trompe-l'oeil pedestrian underpass like this painted on an embankment in Fairmont, W.V., that has the view of the intersection and store on the other side included.  Pretty brilliant.

1995hoo

Our neighbors two doors down have three little kids; the oldest is 5 and the youngest is 1. They like to draw on the streets and sidewalks with chalk. One of them, I don't know which but I presume probably the boy (the middle child of the three), has taken to drawing two lines with a dotted line between them and then adding arrows to show which way the other little kids are supposed to ride their bikes. Could there be a roadgeek in the making??!!!!!

(No picture....the chalk was there last night but got washed away by another neighbor watering her yard.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alex4897

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 05, 2015, 11:25:54 AM
Our neighbors two doors down have three little kids; the oldest is 5 and the youngest is 1. They like to draw on the streets and sidewalks with chalk. One of them, I don't know which but I presume probably the boy (the middle child of the three), has taken to drawing two lines with a dotted line between them and then adding arrows to show which way the other little kids are supposed to ride their bikes. Could there be a roadgeek in the making??!!!!!

(No picture....the chalk was there last night but got washed away by another neighbor watering her yard.)

That was definitely me as a child.  My family ended up purchasing a set of out-of-service traffic signals from New Jersey ten to eleven years ago, two of them were small enough for a kid to lug around. Naturally, I'd pull it out to the corner of my driveway and the sidewalk, plug it in, and use it to control the "intersection" I drew in chalk in my driveway.
I've obviously grown too old for it and most of my siblings have done the same, but the young kids next door apparently have taken to using it the same exact way I used to.  I'd love to get that thing wired up in my dorm room, but I feel bad taking it from the kids who still use it lol.
👉😎👉

nexus73

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 05, 2015, 06:55:02 PM

That was definitely me as a child.  My family ended up purchasing a set of out-of-service traffic signals from New Jersey ten to eleven years ago, two of them were small enough for a kid to lug around. Naturally, I'd pull it out to the corner of my driveway and the sidewalk, plug it in, and use it to control the "intersection" I drew in chalk in my driveway.
I've obviously grown too old for it and most of my siblings have done the same, but the young kids next door apparently have taken to using it the same exact way I used to.  I'd love to get that thing wired up in my dorm room, but I feel bad taking it from the kids who still use it lol.

That's me as a kid too.  By all means let today's children enjoy the thrill of playing with "real world" stuff they see!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

JakeFromNewEngland

This was an accurate description of me as a child. I used to draw roads all over my driveway and I'd have my neighbors come over and we'd use my toy cars to "drive" around. At one point I made a road that extended all the way down my driveway (mind you it's pretty long).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.