News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Longest US Highway that you have not been on

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 14, 2019, 10:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Looks like US 278 for me, too, but I need to check to see if I touched it in the Tupelo area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

US 89

Looks like mine is US 212. To be honest I'm surprised I made it that far down the list.

Some of the longer ones barely count, though. I've only been on US 52 and 81 because I exited onto them once from an interstate to get gas. US 14 I have from its very brief concurrency with IL 43. Maybe a couple other close calls but those are the big ones that come to mind.

Rothman

Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2021, 03:06:25 PM
Looks like US 278 for me, too, but I need to check to see if I touched it in the Tupelo area.

Well, I did.  So, that takes me to US 18, which I probably did not drive in the Madison area...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2021, 04:03:45 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2021, 03:06:25 PM

Well, I did.  So, that takes me to US 18, which I probably did not drive in the Madison area...

Only if you were on the Beltline.

ozarkman417

Excluding concurrencies: US 20 (concurrency with I-39)

Including: US 2, followed by US 12

kphoger

I haven't been on US-70 (#7) since before I was old enough to drive, on a camping trip with my dad in junior high.  But I was old enough to remember it, so I'm not going to count that as my answer.

I may have been on US-1 (#8) at some point during a childhood vacation to New England, but it was long enough ago that I don't remember much of where we went.  So that's what I'm going with.

If I've been on US-1, then my answer would be US-11 (#23).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Big John

kphoger

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 29, 2021, 04:41:02 PM
Like many others, US 60.

...which is so strange to me, considering I've driven approximately 375 miles of it, in six different states, over the course of multiple years.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2021, 04:54:54 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 29, 2021, 04:41:02 PM
Like many others, US 60.

...which is so strange to me, considering I've driven approximately 375 miles of it, in six different states, over the course of multiple years.

I'm similar to you. 368 miles.

108 in AZ
36 in NM
107 in TX
1 in OK
95 in MO
0 in IL
3 in KY
1 in WV
6 in VA

Chris

CNGL-Leudimin

It's a dispute between two routes. If the implied routes through Yellowstone are counted, then US 20. If not, then US 6.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

US 191, but that may change next week.

Now I haven't been on any section of US 95.

74/171FAN

For me, it is the western segment of US 2 based on Wikipedia.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

adventurernumber1

I was initially going to say US 20 (the longest US Highway of all), but then I got to thinking I might have actually been on the unnumbered part of the road at some point while in Yellowstone. Should this not be true (or count), there's a miniscule possibility I may have been on part of the route in either Boston or the Chicago area, but my memory is too fuzzy, and the chance is almost 0.

But if I have in fact been on US 20, then the longest US Highway I haven't been on would likely be US 60 -- unless by chance I have been on a short portion via a detour in downtown Louisville (but the memory fails me) -- if that is true, then the longest US Highway I haven't been on would be US 12 or US 2 (neither segment).

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

thspfc

Bruce

US 6, though I have crossed it a few times in Ohio and Connecticut.

I recently drove the westernmost segment of US 20, so that's one off the bucket list.

dlsterner

We've had this thread before, back in 2019.  I'll just link my answer from then; it is still the same answer today.

Quote from: dlsterner on January 14, 2019, 11:40:25 PM
Longest never driven would be US 12, but I have crossed it.  Never driven and never crossed would be the western US 2.

Flint1979

Hobart

US 6 passes through my town, US 30 passes to the south, and US 20 passes to the north. Because the south suburbs of Chicago have an absurd number of US Highways on them, many of the longest routes are just part of a daily commute, or a road I have to take to buy something off of Craigslist.

A lot of the other routes I've barely been on. US-40, 64, and 70 I've only been on because they share a bridge with I-55 in a city I've been on I-55 through. The only portion of US 60 and US 62 I've been on is the weird concurrency between them where they enter Illinois on one bridge, intersect US-51, and immediately leave the state again.

Working down the list on Wikipedia, the longest route I haven't been on is US-84, because my family doesn't travel east and west as far south as US-84 runs.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Rothman

Quote from: dlsterner on July 29, 2021, 08:23:39 PM
We've had this thread before, back in 2019.  I'll just link my answer from then; it is still the same answer today.

Quote from: dlsterner on January 14, 2019, 11:40:25 PM
Longest never driven would be US 12, but I have crossed it.  Never driven and never crossed would be the western US 2.
You should link the old thread.

ozarkman417

hbelkins

I'll have to take a closer look at the mileages and concurrencies of some of the western routes, but off the top of my head, my winner is probably 395. My trip across the Golden Gate Bridge when I was in San Francisco a couple of years ago took care of 101 for me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 29, 2021, 09:35:13 PM
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24268
Somehow, that thread wasn't one of the search results when I attempted to search for it using this thread's title (and similar to the other two thread's title, except for US routes of course). If a mod sees this, feel free to merge this thread into the other one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.