News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways With Exits From Middle Lanes?

Started by DriverDave, August 08, 2023, 09:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriverDave

Are there any highways with exit ramps that you have to take from the middle lanes instead of the far right or far left lane? I've seen entrance ramps that do this, but what about exits?

jt4

Would you count multiple exits at one interchange while the mainline exits itself?

Example: I-71 northbound at I-70/OH-315. The right lane continues onto I-71/70. The left lane is exit 106A for I-70 west. The middle lane is exit 106B for OH-315. (This isn't that good of an example because the entire highway except for the 71 ramp is marked as exit 106 before it gets A/B designation.)

pderocco

Lots of them where there are express or HOV lanes down the middle of the roadway. For instance, there are several along I-15 in northern San Diego.

Amaury

Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Bruce

The I-5/I-405 interchange in Tukwila, WA has a ramp from SB I-5 to EB I-405 that whisks away traffic from the leftmost lane, which is second from left when counting the HOV lane. Granted, the HOV lane splits from the freeway a few hundred feet to the north.

ilpt4u

The Chicago Skyway/I-90 split off the Dan Ryan Expressway/I-90/94->I-94 on the South Side: Right Exit from the Dan Ryan Express Lanes and Left Exit from the Dan Ryan Locals, with the ramp elevating between the Express and Local to begin the Skyway

The I-55NB exit at the north end of the Express/Local split of the Dan Ryan is similar. Of course the lanes are really leading to the Chinatown Feeder Exit, but it is signed as I-55NB and 22nd St (not Cermak Rd, for whatever reason). Here, the Chinatown Feeder center exit roadway sinks below the Dan Ryan which elevates

Photo sourced from billburmaster.com's page on I-90 in IL: http://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/interstate/90il.html

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Stony Island Avenue in Chicago has the exit and entrance for the Skyway in the middle lanes: https://goo.gl/maps/1iCSsFt4psjYh2419
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

^^ Unrelated, but it still says To I-90 east.  I thought  it was finally established that the Skyway was part of I-90

Rothman

Made me think of the Manhattan exit on the Cross Bronx EB after GWB, but I don't think that meets the rules of the thread after consideration.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: DriverDave on August 08, 2023, 09:45:11 PM
Are there any highways with exit ramps that you have to take from the middle lanes instead of the far right or far left lane? I've seen entrance ramps that do this, but what about exits?

Quote from: pderocco on August 08, 2023, 11:26:22 PM
Lots of them where there are express or HOV lanes down the middle of the roadway. For instance, there are several along I-15 in northern San Diego.

Reminds me of a "major exit" in Northern Virginia that can only be reached from the Express Lanes (ergo, the Shirley Reversible).  The Franconia-Springfield Parkway (now VA-289) was squeezed in between the Springfield Interchange and Exit 169A/B (Franconia SR-644), such that it was no feasible to add exit lanes from I-95.  Making matters worse, a long-term impass between VDOT and the Department of Defense (over Fort Belvoir property) halted the construction of the Fairfax County Parkway (now VA-286).  When originally completed, the Fairfax County Parkway simply continued east and changed names to the Franconia-Springfield Parkway, with no meaningful way to get to I-95 (making it almost useless as a western bypass of the Beltway).  Fortunately, changes made to the Shirley Reversible during the Springfield Interchange upgrade added an exit to the Franconia-Springfield Parkway on the "Express Lanes".

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Big John on August 09, 2023, 07:05:09 AM
^^ Unrelated, but it still says To I-90 east.  I thought  it was finally established that the Skyway was part of I-90

Probably local installs that they don't think it's worth the money tp patch.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

It probably doesn't count for what the OP has in mind because it's the end of the road, such that the lanes to either side don't continue on as part of the same highway, but this thread made me think of I-85's southern end in Montgomery where the right side exits to I-65 north, the left side to I-65 south, and the middle exits straight ahead onto Day Street.

https://goo.gl/maps/h1FmqXRWXCMQAcnh8
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Closest I can think of around here is US6 westbound exiting onto Federal Boulevard (CO88).

The left set of lanes is coming from eastbound 6th Avenue and can exit right to get to Federal or stay left to continue on US6 West.

If you exit right, you're merging into the new lanes that had been created from I-25 traffic exiting onto US6 West. And then you have to stay to the left to exit onto Federal.

After the exit, the left hand set of lanes and the remainder of the right hand set of lanes merges to continue on US6 West.

So, there are some barriers and such, but basically the leftmost and rightmost lanes go to US6 but the middle lanes go to Federal.

DriverDave

To clarify, I meant roads where to stay on the same road heading in the same direction, drivers have to go around an exit ramp dipping down from the middle. Not so much each lane just going somewhere different at an interchange. The closest I've seen to this is somewhere on I-78 in Newark westbound, although the lanes are separated into local and express to begin with. So the exit is either on the right or the left depending on which set of lanes you're in.

1995hoo

In other words, you're visualizing something like this:

DriverDave

pderocco

With jogs like that, it's not a freeway.

Here's the best example from I-15 near Escondido, CA.

https://goo.gl/maps/wE6M8qRrZKhQ3YteA

kendancy66

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 09, 2023, 11:27:45 AM
It probably doesn't count for what the OP has in mind because it's the end of the road, such that the lanes to either side don't continue on as part of the same highway, but this thread made me think of I-85's southern end in Montgomery where the right side exits to I-65 north, the left side to I-65 south, and the middle exits straight ahead onto Day Street.

https://goo.gl/maps/h1FmqXRWXCMQAcnh8
This was the exit I first thought of when when I saw this topic on the forum.

NE2

Quote from: pderocco on August 10, 2023, 12:15:07 AM
With jogs like that, it's not a freeway.

Here's the best example from I-15 near Escondido, CA.

https://goo.gl/maps/wE6M8qRrZKhQ3YteA

You don't understand.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

I agree with NE2. The HOV/inner carriageway situation isn't what the OP has in mind. Neither is the New Jersey Turnpike setup where you see exits from the right side of the inner roadway (commonly called the "Cars Only" roadway). What the OP has in mind is where the same carriageway has lanes continuing as thru lanes to both sides of a center exit ramp. That's why I said the example I cited in Montgomery doesn't really count. The situation in Springfield, Virginia, where VDOT signs the thru lanes on the Beltway's Inner Loop as an "exit" under a technicality, doesn't count either because I-95 (which is the road that really "exits" in practical terms) doesn't have any thru lanes on the right side of the road.

I keep thinking that if we were to find an example of what the OP has in mind, it's most likely to be on a very old road–something built before the fallacies of that sort of design became apparent. My mind keeps thinking of older highways like the ones in New York City, although I can't think of any exits of this sort there.

NE2

Closest thing I can think of is the former exit from US 1-9 south to Wilson Avenue in Newark. The southbound lanes were built as a two-way freeway, with center ramps (like the Pulaski Skyway to the north). When a new northbound freeway was built, the original freeway became one-way south. But the median barrier remained, so it was just a right exit from the express lanes and a left exit from the local lanes.
https://www.historicaerials.com/location/40.7225/-74.1469/1979/19
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

^^^^

The Pulaski Skyway itself has two spots that, on a satellite view, look similar to what the OP is hypothesizing, but in practice they're not the same because they're really just left-lane exits and entrances. I find it somewhat interesting that the barrier doesn't extend further than it does to prevent people from crossing to the wrong side of the road.

https://goo.gl/maps/YPaob2N3jPtNr2gp6

CardInLex

Because of construction phasing, this situation exists in Louisville currently* on I-64 WB. Approaching the Sherman Minton Bridge the left lane continues onto I-64 WB, the center lane is exit only onto I-264 EB, and the right lane continues onto I-64 WB. The left lane takes the lower deck of the Sherman Minton while the right lane takes the upper deck. The APL leading up to the interchange is partially covered. The left half is orange while the right half is green. (For reference–no Streetview exists for this configuration: https://maps.app.goo.gl/u6mMx74bzHWFqT1k8?g_st=ic).

*This is the intended set up in this phase of construction. But due the poor condition of the bridge, they have temporarily closed the upper deck completely. This set up will resume when the condition is addressed and will remain in place throughout this phase of construction. After construction it will go back to a normal left exit.

DriverDave

Phillipsburg—Newark Expy
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3Dd1NkuaPz7CfoPd8

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.