News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Emails to the webmasters

Started by Alex, May 13, 2009, 02:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: akotchi on August 27, 2009, 12:30:51 PM
This type of panel is an advisory speed plate, and is not a speed limit.  I do not think it is enforceable, since it is not regulatory.  I have to think that most states have speed limits set by ordinance, which state that the regulatory sign needs to be posted.  (This is what New Jersey does, anyway.)

I think it may very well be a speed limit, not an advisory, since it is white with black legend, and has the words SPEED LIMIT.

sneaky, yes.  Someone needs to take a shotgun to that sign.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 27, 2009, 01:27:49 PM
Quote from: akotchi on August 27, 2009, 12:30:51 PM
This type of panel is an advisory speed plate, and is not a speed limit.  I do not think it is enforceable, since it is not regulatory.  I have to think that most states have speed limits set by ordinance, which state that the regulatory sign needs to be posted.  (This is what New Jersey does, anyway.)

I think it may very well be a speed limit, not an advisory, since it is white with black legend, and has the words SPEED LIMIT.

It cannot be an advisory speed plate, because it actually says "Speed Limit 55" and uses black on white in the regulatory (i.e. legally enforceable) fashion. An advisory speed plate would be black on yellow with a "55 MPH" legend.

Not the way a speed limit should be posted, as it should be on a standard sign as I mentioned previously...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

akotchi

Oops . . . I stand corrected.  I was relying on the description, because the picture did not come up for me the first few times.  I finally got a good look at the source photo from another computer.

I agree with what was said in the last few posts.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alex

Name: Renee A.

Is there a place between near exit 22 off of I-20 in South Carolina to leave a car overnight?

Name: James B.

I am trying to find out the history of the Stone & Brass Eagle topped \"monument\" on the North side of I-80, just inside CA, that was removed by
CalTrans about 20 years ago!     Someone told me that it was dedicated by
the BSA on completion of the highway along the Truckee River by Floriston, CA.  I remember seeing it when traveling on Hwy. 40 in the 1950s.
Also, I would like to know the locations & history of the \"highway water fountains/radiator water fill pipes\"  located on Hwy. 40 in CA.
Can you tell me where I can obtain such information?

agentsteel53

any quiet residential side street...

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Name: Ken K.

Are there any plans to extend I-40 from Barstow thru Bakersfield to I-5 along the CA SR-58 Barstow to Bakersfield and along Stockdale Highway Bakersfield to I-5?

1. the signal light at Kramer Jct (CA SR-58 and US 395) in the middle of nowhere in the Mojave Desert during the holiday season is ridiculous, one Dec 26 we were stuck in traffic eastbound there for over an hour between the end of the freeway at Boron (the Kern/SanBernadino County line) and the signal light. Absolutely ridiculous. (It might be like that this weekend also). (Still when going from Sacramento to Palm Springs, using Tehachapi Pass and Cajon Pass beat by far the Grapevine followed by the I-210 parking lot between Pasadena and Pomona).

2. it would mean the construction of a new freeway between Bakersfield and I-5 along Stockdale Highway past CSUBakersfield, and there probably isn't any money for that. Currently for Bay Area etc. southbound I-5 travelers to get to Tehachapi they must cross the valley on some nice two lane roads like either CA SR-46, CA SR 58, Lerdo Highway, or Stockdale Highway.

3. it would require a few fixes between Tehachapi and Edison, some curves, some onramps/offramps a little too short (like many on older freeways), an overpass at the junction of CA-213 instead of a divided highway left turn lane, etc.

4. the new Mojave CA SR-58 freeway bypass is a great start.

5. Bakersfield would be on an interstate before Fresno. LOL!

Thank you for your time and any response.

myosh_tino

Quote from: AARoads on November 28, 2009, 11:20:20 AM
Name: Ken K.

Are there any plans to extend I-40 from Barstow thru Bakersfield to I-5 along the CA SR-58 Barstow to Bakersfield and along Stockdale Highway Bakersfield to I-5?

1. the signal light at Kramer Jct (CA SR-58 and US 395) in the middle of nowhere in the Mojave Desert during the holiday season is ridiculous, one Dec 26 we were stuck in traffic eastbound there for over an hour between the end of the freeway at Boron (the Kern/SanBernadino County line) and the signal light. Absolutely ridiculous. (It might be like that this weekend also). (Still when going from Sacramento to Palm Springs, using Tehachapi Pass and Cajon Pass beat by far the Grapevine followed by the I-210 parking lot between Pasadena and Pomona).

2. it would mean the construction of a new freeway between Bakersfield and I-5 along Stockdale Highway past CSUBakersfield, and there probably isn't any money for that. Currently for Bay Area etc. southbound I-5 travelers to get to Tehachapi they must cross the valley on some nice two lane roads like either CA SR-46, CA SR 58, Lerdo Highway, or Stockdale Highway.

3. it would require a few fixes between Tehachapi and Edison, some curves, some onramps/offramps a little too short (like many on older freeways), an overpass at the junction of CA-213 instead of a divided highway left turn lane, etc.

4. the new Mojave CA SR-58 freeway bypass is a great start.

5. Bakersfield would be on an interstate before Fresno. LOL!

Thank you for your time and any response.
This has been a topic of discussion in the regional forums and as a frequent traveler to Las Vegas from northern California possible improvements to CA-58 always get my attention.  From what I have been able to gather, CalTrans is currently studying construction options for bypasses around Kramer Junction and Hinkley (just west of Barstow).  Below are links to the project websites...

SR-58 Kramer Junction Expressway Project
SR-58 via Hinkley EIS/R

There have also been studies done to extend the CA-58 freeway/expressway west of Bakersfield along a few different alignments all the way to I-5.  This project is called the "Centennial Corridor Project"
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Alex

Name: Martin M

Thank you for being available.  I have a photo which represents a single version of a series of signs which are posted along most of Pennsylvania interstates & other limited access roads.  Their meaning has made me very curious.  They appear to represent mileage points but do NOT match the concurrent interstate markers on the same roads.  We travel I70/76 and US15 often and that's where we see them.  Very grateful for any help

J N Winkler

Did "Martin M" send along the photo?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

rawmustard

Quote from: AARoads on February 08, 2010, 11:31:32 AM
Name: Martin M

Thank you for being available.  I have a photo which represents a single version of a series of signs which are posted along most of Pennsylvania interstates & other limited access roads.  Their meaning has made me very curious.  They appear to represent mileage points but do NOT match the concurrent interstate markers on the same roads.  We travel I70/76 and US15 often and that's where we see them.  Very grateful for any help

Is he refering to the reference markers? Those are the black-on-white signs which contain the SR designation and the segment numbers (A PDF posted on Jeff Kitsko's site explains the segment numbers as well as the location referencing system as a whole.) Of course, the markers are found on all the state highways, not just the freeways and expressways.

Alex

Name: Mark P

Hello, I was looking for information on some roads to take through Wyoming for a road trip I have in March, and I saw your site.

I've read that route 212 (Beartooth Highway) closes in the winter, but I haven't seen anything about 296 (Chief Joseph Scenic Highway) closing. It looks like 296 meets up with 212 at its northmost point.

My plan is to drive northwest from Cody up 120 and turn west at 296, then head up to 212 and continue northwest to Cooke City, Montana. Would I be able to do this in mid-March, or would 296 be a dead end once it hit 212? I'd appreciate any help you could give me on this. Thanks!

corco

There's 0 chance the Beartooth is open in March. Memorial Day is usually the rough date for opening. It's been a mild winter, but not THAT mild. The NPS won't even do an initial opening assessment until mid-March.

Hold up- if he's heading to Cooke City he can take 296 to 212. For some reason I got East and West mixed up. That's the only way in and out of Cooke City in the winter and they DO keep that open.

Alex

Name: Frank A.

I am looking for the mid way point between Albany NY and Boston Mass on interstate 90. I will be meeting a friend and we want to both be able to exit to either a east west rest area or a common exit for both East and West bound. Any suggestions ?

agentsteel53

Quote from: AARoads on June 18, 2010, 11:51:02 AM
Name: Frank A.

I am looking for the mid way point between Albany NY and Boston Mass on interstate 90. I will be meeting a friend and we want to both be able to exit to either a east west rest area or a common exit for both East and West bound. Any suggestions ?

is this to note the exact middle of the route for roadgeeking purposes?  if not - i.e. they're just looking for a good place to meet that has both of them driving about an equal amount - just eyeball it and if they're off by a mile or 5, so be it.  Hint, it's about 80-90 miles from each.

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Well, judging from Wikipedia's exit lists (I've never been to NY or MA), you have about 20.2 miles between Albany and MA, and 134.6 miles from NY/MA to I-93 in Boston, giving you a total distance of 154.8, so halfway would be 77.4. Subtract the 20.2 miles on the NY side, and the best place to meet would be around MA milepost 57.2. The Ludlow service plaza is about at that point.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

froggie

But since the service plaza isn't exactly "dual-direction accessible", they might as well just use Exit 7 (MA 21) which is just west of the service plaza anyway...

Alex

Name: Nick Z.

QuoteWe were going north on 795, and it dumped us onto 264, then to I-95. Coming back south, we knew there was an exit off to continue the 795 leg from 264.
I was traveling south from I-95 and go onto I-795 to go to Wilmington. It cuts 20 miles off the trip.
However, on I-795 going south with 264, The interstate exits (splits) off from US264 at exit 43C.  However, even though there are two overhead structures over the interstate for the exit, there is no interstate 795 signs on either of these.
No indication at all, so we kept going on 264, awaiting for an exit sign where we turn. None ever materialized. After we went another 8 miles before giving up on that one. I am good at directions and knowing reasonable where we are, so I took another road to the right and eventually made it to 117.    Check out the google maps and view the road way, you will notice that both of the overhead exit signs have no mention of 795.  They only say "US117 Goldsboro Kenly".
We were looking for our 795 sign.   Who can we contact to get a sign added so other will know where they are going as well.

froggie

I'd have to double-check my photos, but I'm pretty sure those overhead guide signs with I-795 shields were there back in October.

dfilpus

According to Bob Malme http://www.duke.edu/~rmalme/fut795.html the I 795 overhead signage was installed in March 2010.

Alex

Name: James H.

QuoteThe statement is being made here in eastern South Carolina that I-20
originally was slated to run to Myrtle Beach but that Florence stopped
the route there.  Is this fact, or local fiction? I read that North Carolina
has wanted I-20 to end at Wilmington some day.

If you can reference information about this routing of I-20 in the beginning
it will be useful.

I wrote back that the concept of extending I-20 east to NC is NC's idea and that SC has not gotten on board with this. As to the other question, this is the first time I have heard of the Florence thing.

froggie

If there was a proposal to extend I-20 east of Florence, it didn't exist at the Federal level.  As far back as 1947, I-20 was slated to end at Florence.  Even in the 1968-70 Interstate extension requests, there wasn't any consideration of continuing east of Florence.

oscar

Quote from: Alex on October 12, 2011, 10:11:15 AM
Name: James H.

QuoteThe statement is being made here in eastern South Carolina that I-20
originally was slated to run to Myrtle Beach but that Florence stopped
the route there.  Is this fact, or local fiction? I read that North Carolina
has wanted I-20 to end at Wilmington some day.

If you can reference information about this routing of I-20 in the beginning
it will be useful.

I wrote back that the concept of extending I-20 east to NC is NC's idea and that SC has not gotten on board with this. As to the other question, this is the first time I have heard of the Florence thing.

At least the former NC governor had dreams, when I was doing business in Wilmington a few years ago, of turning Wilmington into an Interstate hub, with I-20 going there along with I-40 and I-74.  But as you said, no indication of SC buying into the I-20 part of that ambition.

Oscar (in Mendocino CA for a few days)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alex

Thanks for those responses, I forward them on to the individual.

Received another question:

Name: Annette

QuoteLast night we were traveling on I94, e bnd from Mapleton.  The speed drops down from 75 mph to 65 mph shortly before the exchange at West Fargo.  Could you tell me if it has always dropped down to 65 mph before the exchange (Ebnd) or if it had recently been moved.   My husband believes that it had formerly been posted 65 mph AFTER the WFgo exchange for Ebnd.....

Alps

Wait, there are people in North Dakota?

CanesFan27

Locally folks in Myrtle Beach had pushed for a Florence to MB highway.  Congress authorized it to be studied as early as 1982, but there had long been a local push for the road.

http://www.gribblenation.com/conway_bypass/i73.html (i think today is the first time i looked at that page since I updated it nearly five years ago).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.