News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Lighted BGS's

Started by wytout, October 31, 2009, 07:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wytout

Being from CT, I never get to see lighted BGS's unless I'm travelling far out of state.  It seems that all over southern New England, there really aren't any lighted BGS's.  I know there are a couple on the Mass Pike East of Sturbridge and scattered sparsely throughout the state and I'm sure a few in RI, but the last time I went by any in this general area the lights weren't lit at night. 

Lighted BGS's were always a fascinating thing for me when I'd head south along the east coast, because as far as I can remember there were never any around here.  I haven't travelled too far out of the area in a while except for plane travel, and the few lighted BGS's I've seen haven't had working lights. 

I guess I'm wondering who here is in an area where lighted BGS's are still common and the lights are still lit every night? 
I'm sure that with constant advances in retroreflective sheetings and the relative lower cost compared to maintaining lights, these types of signs are quickly becomming antiquated historical highway elements.

In CT you won't find a single BGS with lighting equipment installed NOT ONE!  They are all gone and have been for a long time!...And in surrounding states there seem to be very few, at least where I travel, and haven't seen one lit.
-Chris

Brandon

IDOT (Illinois) uses lighted BGSs extensively on both button copy and retroreflective signage.  The Illinois Tollway has lighted BGSs on their button copy and some retroreflective signage, but is currently replacing them with non-lighted BGSs with retroreflective signage and Clearview text.

InDOT (Indiana) uses lighted BGSs extensively.

MDOT (Michigan) and WisDOT (Wisconsin) do not use lighted BGSs.  Even older button copy signage in Wisconsin does not have lights.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Chris

Are they lit from inside or from the outside (from below or above?)

J N Winkler

Quote from: Chris on October 31, 2009, 09:53:47 AMAre they lit from inside or from the outside (from below or above?)

Generally outside and below, though Arizona DOT illuminates from above.  Internally illuminated overhead guide signs are very rare, but do exist (e.g. I-10 Hance Deck Park tunnel in Phoenix, I-80 Bay Bridge).  Strip fluorescent lighting from above is an old Caltrans heirloom, now very rare.  Strip fluorescent lighting in general began to be phased out in the late 1960's/early 1970's in favor of squarish high-pressure-sodium or mercury-vapor luminaires.  Mercury vapor is more common because color rendition is better, but some states (e.g. Arizona, Virginia) prefer high-pressure sodium, which accentuates contrast.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

thenetwork

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 31, 2009, 10:19:01 AM
Internally illuminated overhead guide signs are very rare, but do exist (e.g. I-10 Hance Deck Park tunnel in Phoenix, I-80 Bay Bridge). 

Those internal-illuminated signs are my favorite, due to it's rarity. 

Some internal-lit signs I've seen over the years:

-  The interchange of I-77 & I-64 East near Beckley on the WV Tpk.

-  Near the interchange of I-75 and US-30 near Beavercreek (?) OH.

-  Most airport signage (Big Blue Signs) at the Akron/Canton Airport -- Just off I-77 near North Canton, OH.

One of the oldest I've ever seen was in Cleveland, OH at the "Mixing Bowl" where SR-14/Broadway, SR-43/Miles Ave, E. 93rd St., Turney Ave & Warner Road all came together over a set of railroad tracks.  The sign assemblies had to have dated back to the late 50's or early 60's, and the last of the signs were removed about 10 years ago.

Colorado still lights many overheads -- newer assemblies are lit from above, while older assemblies are lit from below the BGS.

Alex

Delaware is phasing out overhead sign lighting as signs are replaced. A few older assemblies are still around with functioning lights, but are on borrowed time.

Maryland still lights most of their signs.

Virginia generally lights their signs, but are now phasing them out as Clearview is phased in.

South Carolina was including lights on all assemblies up until recently. Some of the newer installations I've seen in the last three years have no lighting.

Georgia removed all lighting fixtures when the exit renumbering of 1999 occurred. You will only ever find lighting fixtures on signs on non-Interstate highways, and those lights don't work anymore.

Florida lights all overheads and continues to use them in newer assemblies.

Alabama phased out overhead lighting years ago, but you can still find some assemblies hanging around but not working.

Only lit overheads I ever saw in Mississippi were along the Interstate 110 viaduct in Biloxi. Based upon flaroadgeek's recent pics, the lights are still there and perhaps replaced.

Louisiana does not light signs, though you can find a few strip fluorescent lighting assemblies hanging on for dear life (they don't work of course).

Texas phased out sign lighting when they phased out button copy.

Only place I have seen new sign lightning installed in Pennsylvania is by PHL International Airport on I-95.

ctsignguy

Ohio has lit BGS signs primarily in the cities....mostly the older button copy, although the newer signs can have them as well...at one time, they were also on major Interstate interchanges but not so much anymore...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

wytout

I had a feeling they're still common from the mid-atlantic on south in the I-95 corridor.  A while ago I was doing the back and forth to Hallandale Beach, FL from Stafford Springs, CT semi regularly and all the lighted BGS's stood out to me.  I assumed a lot of them have to still be in use because they were so extensive
-Chris

Hellfighter

Quote from: Brandon on October 31, 2009, 09:00:44 AM

MDOT (Michigan) and WisDOT (Wisconsin) do not use lighted BGSs.  Even older button copy signage in Wisconsin does not have lights.

Apparently they used to. I-75 at BL I-75/Square Lake Road in the Mid 80's...

hbelkins

West Virginia's overheads have lights, even the newer reflective signs that replace button copy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on October 31, 2009, 09:00:44 AM
For Wisconsin - the prime and only exception is Milwaukee.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Ian

PA doesn't install them anymore, but some can be found scattering around.

In NY, the only area I know that has them is the greater NYC area. Though, going on I-87 south in Albany, just where it turns onto the Thruway in Colonie, there is a huge backlit one:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/NewYorkTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5296426618212051234
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

wytout

Quote from: HighwayMaster on October 31, 2009, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: wytout on October 31, 2009, 07:30:13 AM
Being from CT, I never get to see lighted BGS's unless I'm travelling far out of state.  It seems that all over southern New England, there really aren't any lighted BGS's.  I know there are a couple on the Mass Pike East of Sturbridge and scattered sparsely throughout the state and I'm sure a few in RI, but the last time I went by any in this general area the lights weren't lit at night. 

Lighted BGS's were always a fascinating thing for me when I'd head south along the east coast, because as far as I can remember there were never any around here.  I haven't travelled too far out of the area in a while except for plane travel, and the few lighted BGS's I've seen haven't had working lights. 

I guess I'm wondering who here is in an area where lighted BGS's are still common and the lights are still lit every night? 
I'm sure that with constant advances in retroreflective sheetings and the relative lower cost compared to maintaining lights, these types of signs are quickly becomming antiquated historical highway elements.

In CT you won't find a single BGS with lighting equipment installed NOT ONE!  They are all gone and have been for a long time!...And in surrounding states there seem to be very few, at least where I travel, and haven't seen one lit.

Did you forget about this one, wytout?

Holy CARP! THANK YOU! for spotting it... and I NEVER travel I84 in that part of the state, it's always the Merritt or what-have-you. 
WOW!  I need to go see that for myself (at night, though I doubt it will be lit). Quick little road trip.  I didn't think such a beast still existed ANYWHERE in this state!  It's still there?
Probably a little sickening to some that I'm that excited that an assembly like this still exists here!
-Chris

myosh_tino

Most of California's overhead signs have lights below the sign including the newer retroreflective signs that are replacing older button copy signs.  Only problem is, there are a number near where I live where the lights are not turned on at night.  I've heard excuses ranging from saving electricity (and money) to copper thieves that are stealing the wiring connecting the sign's lights to the control boxes.

Also, regarding backlit signs, besides I-80 near the Bay Bridge, there also this sign on I-80 near Vallejo...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Duke87

Quote from: wytout on October 31, 2009, 07:59:47 PM
WOW!  I need to go see that for myself (at night, though I doubt it will be lit). Quick little road trip.  I didn't think such a beast still existed ANYWHERE in this state!  It's still there?

Y'know, I was through there just a week ago, and I seem to recall noticing those lights and finding it rather odd...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

njroadhorse

New Jersey includes them for the most part on our BGSs.  I think on the new assemblies too.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: HighwayMaster on October 31, 2009, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: wytout on October 31, 2009, 07:30:13 AM

Did you forget about this one, wytout?

Good catch! Actually on I-84 in Waterbury, there are some sticks below the BGS, which used to have lights on them...all that remain are the "sticks" that used to hold the lights....I-84 WB under the elevated mixmaster.  By the way...the shields on this BGS gantry are recent! As when CT did button copy, the shields were also transparent....ie: The background of the shiled was green.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadfro

Nevada DOT installs lights for almost every overhead BGS, and continues to light them. (Links in parentheses are examples. Pictures hosted on AARoads.)

Originally, the signs were lit with fluorescent lights mounted level with the bottom of the sign.  Gradually, fluorescent fixtures became less effective and the state began changing to the blockier fixtures used currently, although some still remain (US 395 NB north of Reno).  At first, lights were simply placed on the same mounts as the old fixtures (I-80 WB in Sparks).  This interfered with visibility from below, so NDOT started raising the signs wherever the lights were retrofitted (I-15 NB in Las Vegas). Current practice for newer installations is generally to lower the lights below the bottom chord of the truss (US 95 SB in Las Vegas).

There are some variations on sign lighting.  There is at least one installation where internally-lit signs are used (I-15 SB in Las Vegas).  Also, Clark County used overhead lights for some early overhead sign installations on the Las Vegas Beltway (I-215 EB in Las Vegas).

Recently, NDOT has changed out a few signs in the downtown Reno area on I-80, replacing several older signs that had lost their reflectivitiy (or were the older dark green signs that never had reflective elements) with newer highly reflective sheeting. As they did this, they removed the lighting fixtures so that these signs are unlit. Another sign on US 395 received similar treatment.  I'm not sure whether or not NDOT is looking at this as a case study for removing sign lighting on a larger scale.

EDIT: Updated example links to reflect domain change from RockyMountainRoads to AARoads.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PAHighways

Most of the lighted BGSs in Pennsylvania are in cities and lit from the bottom up.  The only exception to that rule are the guides on PA 60 (Airport Parkway and Southern Expressway) which are lit from the top probably due to the area being the in the approach for Pittsburgh International.

Liberty Bridge outbound has a variable guide sign due to the afternoon rush using three lanes of the four lanes.

architect77

North Carolina has traditionally included lights on all overheads, but here on I-540 in Raleigh only about 3/4 have lights. I wonder if these solar panels are lighting this one overhead...

Mr_Northside

Quote from: PAHighways on November 01, 2009, 09:14:23 PM
Most of the lighted BGSs in Pennsylvania are in cities and lit from the bottom up. 

I'd also agree with that. 

Roads built by the PA Turnpike seem to almost never have any BGS lighting.  (I think the very end of 576 has a couple where it meets the airport & parkway (also overhead, like the PennDOT hwys around there)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

shadyjay

I remember when a lot of the overhead signs in CT had lights... many along the Connecticut Turnpike where the all-text blue signs were still in use had full length lights, while the BGSs on the other interstates had (usually) two lights on each sign, as evident by the sign on I-84 EB shown above.  I remember seeing a lot of those on Hartford on I-91 in the days before the new Charter Oak Bridge.  When the switch to "Phase III" (all button copy) came about, the lights were abandoned and construction led to replacement of gantries. 

There is still a light for a sign on the Conn Turnpike NB after Exit 16 in East Norwalk, but no sign.  It may have been a 2-mile advance for the Westport exit. 

PAHighways

Quote from: Mr_Northside on November 02, 2009, 10:25:41 AMRoads built by the PA Turnpike seem to almost never have any BGS lighting.  (I think the very end of 576 has a couple where it meets the airport & parkway (also overhead, like the PennDOT hwys around there)

Aside from I-276, the only place they seem to install lighting is at major junctions like the Turnpike 43/Interstate 70 cloverleaf.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: PAHighways on November 03, 2009, 08:11:18 PM
Aside from I-276, the only place they seem to install lighting is at major junctions like the Turnpike 43/Interstate 70 cloverleaf.

Alas, I can't personally vouch for the I-276 portion.

I've assumed that the 43/I-70 junction BGS-lighting was installed by PennDOT.  (All the newer overhead signs installed on 43 @ the interchange when the road was completed north of I-70 don't have any lighting.)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Alex

Update, most overheads I've seen so far in southern Indiana still utilize lighting.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.