Personal Nicknames for Highways

Started by PColumbus73, August 02, 2023, 10:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PColumbus73

Does anyone have any nicknames you give to roads you've traveled on? Not nicknames that are commonly used by anyone else.

Whenever I drive through the Greensboro / Winston-Salem area, I've been referring to the section of I-40 between I-840 and US 421 / Salem Pkwy as 'The Canyon'. Not sure exactly when or why I started calling it that.

Rothman

I-95 between DC and Richmond is Hell.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

I call the US-23 freeway south of Flint a royal pain in the ass.

Max Rockatansky

I call San Benito/Fresno County Route J1 over Panoche Pass "the Bone Crusher" due to the infamously bad asphalt surface quality. 

1995hoo

When we were little kids, for some reason my brother and I called New York's Marine Parkway Bridge the "Marino." I'm not sure why, although because our dentist at the time was named Dr. Marino, I'm guessing one of us thought the name sounded the same or similar.

Our cousin, meanwhile, had trouble pronouncing his "r"s as a little kid and called the same bridge the "Bidge to Beezy Point."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kennyshark64

Here's an outside-the box one.  I often referred to the stretch of US-12 in Willow Run, MI near Ypsilanti (connects Michigan Ave. with I-94) as the Moe Howard Highway, because I could always picture The Three Stooges rolling down that highway in a rolling bed.  That nickname actually caught on with a few coworkers when I used to work near Willow Run Airport.

vdeane

For some reason I started calling the Thruway between exits 15A-16 the Sloatsburg Run.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

I kinda stole the US 421 Hokey Pokey idea for Greensboro from mapmikey's VA entry for the route even though that more relates to I-40 as US 421 only got taken out instead of in, out, and back in like I-40.

NY 5S-Scenic Shunpike, because you get the Thruway scenic views by staying right next to it most of the route without paying the tolls.

NY 31-Erie Canal Hwy, most of the route is along the Erie Canal

PA 25-US 209N (basically parallels US 209 to the north between both ends of the route at US 209)

PA 255-US 219E (basically parallels US 219 to the east between both ends of the route at US 219)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MATraveler128

US 1 between Boston and Peabody - The Autobahn of Massachusetts
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

GaryV

"The Boring Part" - I-75 from Bay City to Grayling. (With a possible reprieve in hills around the West Branch area.)

It could also be applied to the Seney Stretch portion of M-28.

Mr. Matté

I always call NJ Route 18 "Yellow Brick Road," but that's moreso because when I went to Rutgers convocation in 2008, the then-University president Dick McCormick was kinda short and had a high voice so I called him a pretty un-PC "The Leader of the Lollipop Guild" and subsequent things around there also became Wizard of Oz related (e.g. Rutgers itself "Oz," New Brunswick "Emerald City").

I will also always call Route 31 "Route 69" in homage to its brief designation in the 1950s and 60s, plus it's nicer that way.

Henry

I called I-57 the "No Name Expressway", since it had none (and still doesn't), although it is technically the western leg of the Dan Ryan.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 03, 2023, 01:40:57 PM
"The Boring Part" - I-75 from Bay City to Grayling. (With a possible reprieve in hills around the West Branch area.)

It could also be applied to the Seney Stretch portion of M-28.
I agree with the boring part but I think the West Branch area is where it starts to get better with the hills you mentioned and from there to Grayling it's not too bad just very rural.

Last time I drove the Seney Stretch was about 2 years ago and it really didn't bother me too much. I think I did 70 the whole way through there and turned up the music.

Another boring state highway is M-57 between Chesaning and Carson City. Other than that S curve at the Saginaw-Gratiot County line the highway is straight and the scenery is farmland for the most part. And speaking of M-57 can you see a curve on that highway between the S curve at Meridian and Stevenson? Stevenson is about two miles east of M-66.

Bickendan

95th Ave for I-205 between Foster and the Columbia.

OCGuy81

I used to refer to the 5 between Sacramento and the Grapevine as "the Badlands". 300 miles of nothingness, unless you're a fan of power lines.

Dough4872

My grandmother referred to the section of US 13 through Dover, DE as "the strip"

flan

I-94 in North Dakota between Jamestown and Bismarck is "The Dead Zone" for me. I don't know why that relatively short stretch of highway is so unenjoyable to me given that I really like driving around all the other 'boring' roads in ND. I usually opt for ND 200 between Jamestown and U.S. 83 instead, so maybe I just have a bias against four-lane highways.

Max Rockatansky

I picked up "Bloody 66"  for Oatman Highway a long time ago from a video I watched at the Kingman Powerhouse Museum.  Apparently the locals are now trying to promote Oatman Highway as the "Arizona Sidewinder."

74/171FAN

I'll add that I basically consider I-95, I-495 and I-270 from Richmond, VA, to where I-270 goes down to four lanes northwest of Gaithersburg, MD, the NOVA Superspeedway especially whenever I drive it at night.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

I feel like my tendency to refer to the southern I-87 as the "Carolina Southway" fits the spirit of this thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.