News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Abandoned ramps on the Taconic

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 29, 2011, 08:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I was on the Taconic from White Plains to I-84 today and noticed some old abandoned ramps from the NB side around mile marker 30, just south of NY 301.  What were they for and where did they go?  It was cool seeing the old concrete there.

Also, some of these NY Pkwys are very dangerous.  Some of the side street conenctions are a disaster waiting to happen.  Side streets about 14 feet wide with no turn lanes for traffic on the Taconic (can you say rear-ending waiting to happen). Plus, the Bronx/Taconic traffic circle and the Taconic in Valhalla is very poorly designed.  I wonder if it was considered poorly designed even in the 1930s?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

vdeane

Judging from the satellite view on google maps, looks like an old parking are or even an old alignment of the road.

Many of NY's parkways are under-designed, especially upstate where they were intended to connect parks.  I can't speak for the Taconic, but the Lake Ontario State Parkway is just a couple inches of ashphalt on dirt and has similar at-grades.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

You used to be able to make left turns onto an off of a lot of those side streets, as well. Though I believe all the median breaks have been done away with by now, except for the few signalized intersections between Valhalla and Hawthorne. Hey, It's a step.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on April 30, 2011, 11:29:48 PM
You used to be able to make left turns onto an off of a lot of those side streets, as well. Though I believe all the median breaks have been done away with by now, except for the few signalized intersections between Valhalla and Hawthorne. Hey, It's a step.

Yes, but some of those side streets, they are barely streets and the square corners!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Rob Adams

A few median breaks are still open in northern Dutchess County and Columbia County.

I grew up near the Bryant Pond Road interchange, and remember many nights waiting for my dad to make his way home from work in Poughkeepsie, knowing that he had to make the left off the TSP to Bryant Pond Road, with only a break in the median guard rail.  That spot was always a nightmare.

To my knowledge, the abandoned ramp near NY 301 is actually an old piece of the TSP.  Not sure of the actual history though.

The traffic circle between the TSP and the BRP was reconstructed in the 1990's, if my memory is correct.  So, it used to be worse.

relaxok

I used to drive up from CT to this area to visit my friend at Bard College near Red Hook, NY.. I can't tell you how many near-accidents (and a few actual accidents) I was involved with on the Taconic. 

People going the wrong way, people turning without looking, places where you couldn't see oncoming traffic no matter how careful you were, etc.

I'm absolutely amazed it hasn't been more re-done than it is - maybe it's a big NIMBY area?

Michael

I'm going with the "old alignment" theory.  Here's a Google Map of the area, but Bing has Bird's Eye in the area.  It almost looks like there was something over the roadway in the abandoned section if you zoom in further on Bing.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.