News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2022 FIFA World Cup

Started by NWI_Irish96, March 29, 2022, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 09, 2022, 02:53:21 PM
Quote from: ET21 on October 07, 2022, 12:19:19 PM
I don't expect much from the US

They need a massive leadership overhaul from the get-go. It may not fix everything right away, but it's a start. My major questions are the following, in no fabric of order: Why should people invest in US soccer if they're going to continually flop in major tournaments like the World Cup or CONCACAF? Let alone MLS? Why should the major TV outlets pump millions of dollars into a failing brand that is seemingly getting worse over time? Do you really want to take the plunge into US soccer or would you rather your remote and wallet say no thanks and switch to other sports? I would love it if they can fix a lot of what's holding them back. But, I guess that proves very lofty, and unattainable, doesn't it?

Or watch the USA women's team, which isn't failing?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on October 09, 2022, 02:58:25 PM

They need a massive leadership overhaul from the get-go. It may not fix everything right away, but it's a start. My major questions are the following, in no fabric of order: Why should people invest in US soccer if they're going to continually flop in major tournaments like the World Cup or CONCACAF? Let alone MLS? Why should the major TV outlets pump millions of dollars into a failing brand that is seemingly getting worse over time? Do you really want to take the plunge into US soccer or would you rather your remote and wallet say no thanks and switch to other sports? I would love it if they can fix a lot of what's holding them back. But, I guess that proves very lofty, and unattainable, doesn't it?

Or watch the USA women's team, which isn't failing?
Or don't.

NWI_Irish96

I don't expect much, but there's progress. Far more of the starting XI will be coming from high level clubs than ever before.

Obviously some spots are up in the air, but the favorites are:

Matt Turner (Arsenal/EPL)
Walker Zimmerman (Nashville/MLS)
Aaron Long (NYRB/MLS)
Sergino Dest (AC Milan/Serie A)
Antonee Robinson (Fulham/EPL)
Weston McKennie (Juventus/Serie A)
Tyler Adams (Leeds/EPL)
Yunus Musah (Valencia/La Liga)
Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/EPL)
Gio Ryena (Dortmund/Bundesliga)
Jesus Fereira (Dallas/MLS)

So that's 8 guys playing in the top 4 European leagues and 3 playing in MLS. Now, you probably only get 2-3 more guys from the Top 4 European leagues to fill out the roster, so there's still work to be done, but I think we're headed towards a 2026 WC roster with 15-20 guys from the Top 4 leagues.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US 89

The thing about the US is that soccer just isn't as popular here as it is in other countries compared to other sports. In most of the world, soccer is basically the sport. Most of the really talented American athletes might play soccer at some point growing up but wind up playing things like (American) football or basketball or baseball instead.

Bruce

US Soccer doesn't flop in CONCACAF tournaments for the most part. In fact, the men's team has won everything in this cycle except for top placement in the Octagonal, but that has no trophy attached anyway.

Since the US aren't the top dog of the world in this sport, it's appealing to those who actually want to watch an underdog story while rooting for their country. There's a lot of systematic problems (pay-to-play, lack of infrastructure, scouting networks missing good prospects, referee shortages) but progress is being made at a steady rate. Just over a decade ago, the first MLS academies were starting to become a thing and now they churn out players who can compete in European leagues and play for the national team.

Unlocking the soccer-first fans in this country is also key to this, and MLS is taking steps by trying to integrate more closely with Liga MX (the most popular league in this country, despite the PL bias shown by English-speaking media). Next year, all teams from both leagues will be playing in a huge tournament (the Leagues Cup) with CCL spots on the line.

Bruce

Most of the national team rosters for the World Cup are out now. The U.S. roster features three players who played for the Sounders or their reserve side at one point (Morris, Roldan, Yedlin, Long). Add in a fifth member (McKennie) who was born on Fort Lewis and Washington is punching well above its weight in terms of supplying the USMNT.

NWI_Irish96

As luck would have it, I'm scheduled to be in my office next Monday. Going to have to watch the US-Wales game on my phone.

Alps

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 14, 2022, 07:45:53 AM
As luck would have it, I'm scheduled to be in my office next Monday. Going to have to watch the US-Wales game on my phone.
So will I. In the past WC games got played on the downstairs cafe TVs, and people will gather by the windows to watch for a few minutes. In my case: go Wales! Sorry, but USA has no chance anyway so may as well pick a fun team to support.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Alps on November 14, 2022, 05:30:35 PM
So will I. In the past WC games got played on the downstairs cafe TVs, and people will gather by the windows to watch for a few minutes. In my case: go Wales! Sorry, but USA has no chance anyway so may as well pick a fun team to support.

Seems like a strange rationale. I would argue Wales and the U.S. have similar chances and I would say we're relatively fun if not good.

1995hoo

I'll be in my home office, but I work for someone who scorns sports and would never understand the concept of reshuffling one's work day to watch a soccer game, even the World Cup. But, because I'll be in my home office, I can at least have it playing on my personal PC while I work
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 14, 2022, 06:04:36 PM

Seems like a strange rationale. I would argue Wales and the U.S. have similar chances and I would say we're relatively fun if not good.
+1, and I'm not sure what's so fun about Wales. Beyond the typical "small underdog country good"  narrative.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on November 14, 2022, 08:14:26 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 14, 2022, 06:04:36 PM

+1, and I'm not sure what's so fun about Wales. Beyond the typical "small underdog country good"  narrative.

Just watched Welcome to Wrexham? (which was excellent)

NWI_Irish96

So today my boss asked me to be in my office an extra day in December. She offered to let me work from home next week instead of being in the office. I told her that since she asked very nicely, I'd "rearrange" my schedule to make it work.

Now I won't have to be on the road Sunday, and will be home all next week.

NWI_Irish96

I just now realized I never did predictions. Here they are:

A: Netherlands, Qatar
B: England, USA
C: Argentina, Mexico
D: France, Denmark
E: Spain, Japan
F: Belgium, Canada
G: Brazil, Serbia
H: Uruguay, South Korea

Round of 16:
USA over Netherlands
Argentina over Denmark
Canada over Spain
Brazil over South Korea
England over Qatar
France over Mexico
Belgium over Japan
Serbia over Uruguay

Quarterfinals:
Argentina over USA
Brazil over Canada
France over  England
Belgium over Serbia

Semifinals:
Argentina over Brazil
France over Belgium

3rd place:
Brazil over Belgium

Final:
France over Argentina

JayhawkCO

Qatar is screwing this world cup up badly. Now, two days before the tournament starts, they announce no beer in the stadium. Budweiser, the official beer sponsor, has to be none too pleased.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 18, 2022, 10:14:07 AM
Qatar is screwing this world cup up badly. Now, two days before the tournament starts, they announce no beer in the stadium. Budweiser, the official beer sponsor, has to be none too pleased.

I've seen (unfounded) suggestions that the Ecuador and Senegal federations are suddenly flush with cash.

JayhawkCO

Time to update this and do the knockout round too. Group winners in bold, second place in italics.

Group A
Qatar
Ecuador
Netherlands
Senegal

Group B
England
United States
Iran
Wales

Group C
Argentina
Saudi Arabia
Mexico
Poland

Group D
France
Australia
Denmark
Tunisia

Group E
Spain
Costa Rica
Germany
Japan

Group F
Belgium
Canada
Morocco
Croatia

Group G
Brazil
Serbia
Switzerland
Cameroon

Group H
Portugal
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea

Netherlands vs. United States
Argentina vs. Denmark
Spain vs. Belgium
Brazil vs. South Korea
England vs. Ecuador
France vs. Mexico
Croatia vs. Germany
Portugal vs. Switzerland

Netherlands vs. Argentina
Spain vs. Brazil
England vs. France
Germany vs. Switzerland

Argentina vs. Brazil
France vs. Germany

Brazil vs. Germany

US 89

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 18, 2022, 10:14:07 AM

The shitshow keeps getting worse and worse. And FIFA is acting like it's all rainbows and unicorns, too. Watch them ban women and LGBTQ+ people from the stadiums next.

CoreySamson

Thoughts on the US's draw with Wales today? I think the US played great in the first half but they squandered most of the good chances they got. Most irritating to me was that they weren't winning set pieces at all. If they won a couple more of those, I bet we see a US win in the books. The halftime adjustment from Wales was incredible. Around the 60th minute, I pretty much knew they would equalize at some point. Overall, I feel that while USMNT is moving in a positive direction, they still won't make it out of the group stage this WC.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

US 89

The problem with set pieces and also with our strategy in general is that the Welsh players were simply bigger than us. I don't know why we try to cross it in from far away all the time, because most of the time we're not going to win those balls.

Bruce

The play leading up to the PK call was started by a throw-in that was taken with a foot that was over the line. Should've been called by the AR.

GaryV

Quote from: Bruce on November 22, 2022, 12:49:20 AM
a throw-in that was taken with a foot that was over the line
Law 15
Quotehave part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the
touchline

NWI_Irish96

Wow, if you got up early this morning you got to see quite the upset!

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 21, 2022, 11:46:49 PM
Thoughts on the US's draw with Wales today? I think the US played great in the first half but they squandered most of the good chances they got. Most irritating to me was that they weren't winning set pieces at all. If they won a couple more of those, I bet we see a US win in the books. The halftime adjustment from Wales was incredible. Around the 60th minute, I pretty much knew they would equalize at some point. Overall, I feel that while USMNT is moving in a positive direction, they still won't make it out of the group stage this WC.

I think a bunch of casual football fans in the US are going to learn about the importance of goal differential in group standings, assuming US and Wales both beat Iran and lose to England.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: GaryV on November 22, 2022, 07:04:58 AM
Quote from: Bruce on November 22, 2022, 12:49:20 AM
a throw-in that was taken with a foot that was over the line
Law 15
Quotehave part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the
touchline

This rule strikes me as being the equivalent to holding in football. It happens all the time but only gets called when it's blatant.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.