News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Happy New Year 2023!

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, December 31, 2022, 06:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Per the tradition every year, I come from the future to wish all the roadgeek community still in the old year a happy New Year. This time we are back to normal, and thus I haven't posted this literally within seconds of midnight Central Europe, as I'm no longer on my laptop but again on my phone. This also means this post isn't the first one of 2023 (however, it is the first one sent from somewhere already in 2023), but rather this one:
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2022, 06:04:40 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 31, 2022, 02:46:43 PM
Quote from: kkt on December 31, 2022, 01:36:11 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 31, 2022, 01:21:09 PM
Speaking of DVD sets, when I ordered the voyager set last year, they sent me DS9 by mistake. I immediately requested a switch, felt like suing for getting the worst series instead of the best one. Took another week for the correct set to come.

I hope is not considering suing for having to exchange and it taking another week.  For heaven's sake.  The justice system is a blunt instrument for serious inequities, not for having to wait a week for an entertainment item.

And if you really think Voyager is the best Star Trek series, well, I just feel sorry for you.

In Voyager, except for Janeway, the characters aren't all disgusting, immoral, unempathetic, tantrumy snobs.

You just described Tom Paris...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Starting the year off by talking shit on Tom Paris? I'll take it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MultiMillionMiler

Calm down everyone, it's not like he performed a colvord starburst manuevre.

Oh wait...

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

2022 was simultaneously the longest and shortest year ever. 2021 might as well be a century ago for how long ago it seems, yet the year flew by in real time.

(I guess I could save this line for next year, too, since I feel like that's been the case for about five straight years now. Is it just me, or is it increasingly unclear what the concept of time even means anymore?)

Hunty2022

Quote from: webny99 on December 31, 2022, 07:14:48 PM
2022 was simultaneously the longest and shortest year ever.

The first half went by normally, but the second half just went by very slow. It feels like it's been a year since I went to Hampton Roads in July...
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

hotdogPi

Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 31, 2022, 07:17:30 PM

The first half went by normally, but the second half just went by very slow. It feels like it's been a year since I went to Hampton Roads in July...

I'm the exact opposite. My Europe trip in June feels quite recent.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

MATraveler128

2022 went by pretty quickly. It feels like it was yesterday that I took my Virginia road trip back in August.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

wanderer2575

I was off work for all of 2022.  Now that I have to get serious about looking for another job, the year wasn't long enough.

Tonight will be my traditional New Year's Eve:  I went out for a drive and dayhike, and returned home just as it was getting dark.  Just me, the wife, and the cat at home tonight.  We made a lasagna yesterday which I just now threw in the oven for dinner, and I have plenty of fruit-flavored adult beverage to last the night.

Best wishes to all for a good 2023!

SSOWorld

Two things about days like this
1: You just need to change one more number
2: If you're talking Resolutions? I say 8K
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Is it just me, or is it increasingly unclear what the concept of time even means anymore?

That's just a symptom of getting older.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2022, 09:06:28 PM
Is it just me, or is it increasingly unclear what the concept of time even means anymore?

That's just a symptom of getting older.
Who are you kidding, you're young when you stand next to me snakehead ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

For the last several years, I have been posting photos of the corresponding Kentucky state route. Can't do it this year, as there is no KY 2023.

I'm sure I had photos of the US 20/US 23 concurrency on my old site, but since it's kaput, I can't share one. And that site is archived on an external drive that's who-knows-where, so I don't have immediate access to it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dlsterner

Quote from: hbelkins on December 31, 2022, 10:14:03 PM
For the last several years, I have been posting photos of the corresponding Kentucky state route. Can't do it this year, as there is no KY 2023.

I'm sure I had photos of the US 20/US 23 concurrency on my old site, but since it's kaput, I can't share one. And that site is archived on an external drive that's who-knows-where, so I don't have immediate access to it.

If you're unable to track that photo down, I did find a sign assembly with that concurrency on Google Street View (although it's in Ohio).  Happy 2023!

https://goo.gl/maps/ANThSPtgGkykyt6E7

Hunty2022

100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

formulanone

Quote from: dlsterner on December 31, 2022, 11:19:52 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 31, 2022, 10:14:03 PM

If you're unable to track that photo down, I did find a sign assembly with that concurrency on Google Street View (although it's in Ohio).  Happy 2023!

https://goo.gl/maps/ANThSPtgGkykyt6E7

Texas has an RM 2023 on I-10:

Bruce

The West Coast is fashionably late to the New Year as always.

skluth

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 31, 2022, 07:04:30 PM

Aliens just don't understand our 'any excuse for a party' mentality. Let's face it. Aliens are party poopers.

1995hoo

^^^^^

But someone on this forum told me that pooing is cool.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Feels like the same OLD year to me.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

I had come back from a trip on the 31st, so the new year felt like a reset to me. I was initially shocked when the grocery store didn't have mozzarella or mild provolone at the deli – shouldn't they have everything if it just began? Of course, they've been in normal operation. (It's still the first time they've been out of both, though.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

JoePCool14

Happy New Year all!

2022 was a tale of two years for me. The first half was difficult for a variety of reasons. The most relevant was my collision with a deer that I've previously mentioned. It was almost three months before I got my car back which made for an alright summer albeit with lots of inconvenience. Things were a lot better in the latter months though: beginning my first full-time job, graduating university, and getting my car back to name a few.

I got to do a lot of cool roadgeeking this year as well, starting my Travel Mapping profile and reaching a total of over 40 clinched routes including my first two 2DI clinches (I-43 and I-88 IL). Hopefully this year, I'll be able to travel to some new locations and clinch some new mileage, but we'll see how the year develops.

[Edited to remove response to party pooping. -S.]

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Ted$8roadFan

Happy new year to one and all.

MATraveler128

Happy New Year. Can't wait to see what 2023 brings.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.