Photos of highway's temp endings

Started by Mergingtraffic, June 01, 2011, 09:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Are there any photos from the expressway era that show the once temp ending of expressways?

I would love to see how they were signed knowing the highway would eventually extend.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

kurumi

Florida signed a "TEMP END (95)" at PGA Blvd in North Palm Beach. The "(95)" was a proper interstate marker.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ATLRedSoxFan

I remember as a kid when alot of the Interstates were being built, the were signed as "Temporary End" and then in some cases Temp or ALT. I remember driving with my mom as kid in Indiana- we came to the end of I-70 and got merged on to US 40 and then down the road saw a sign that said I-70Temp/US40 ALT. I seem to remember the same thing in KY and TN with I-75/US25W

CL

I don't know what you mean by "expressway era," but here are some "temp end" signs from Utah.

I-70 near the Colorado border (east of Cisco)

I-15 between Bluffdale (southern Salt Lake City suburb) and Lehi (northern Provo suburb)

I-15 in Draper (notice how this temporary end is treated as an exit)

I-215 in Holladay

Here's a much more recent example; this is Southern Parkway in St. George. Note how the road is basically a Super 2 at this point. This'll be changed to a standard four-lane freeway once the next section of roadway is opened.

Same as above.
Infrastructure. The city.

Alps

Quebec signed TEMP A-25 through the city until the new link was just opened. They used red Xs through shields to indicate changes they made to the surface street routing.

Alex

Interstate 40 east at what was then a northern extension of Interstate 240 (now Interstate 44) in Oklahoma City.

shadyjay

Interstate 84 WB at today's Exit 20 in New York State.
Photo by Michael Summa, 1969, photo from alpsroads.net

[image won't imbed - go to this link and scroll down a few pics -- http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ny/i-84/w.html]

nyratk1

The one I'd love to see is when NY 27's Sunrise Hwy. routing was being built in 1950s and early 60s and a temp end was at Phyllis Drive in East Patchogue - a residential street that connected to NY 27's old routing along Montauk Hwy. Montauk Hwy. then became NY 27A in areas where Sunrise was built, was cosigned with Suffolk CR 85 from Oakdale to Patchogue and CR 80 from Patchogue to Southampton, had the 27A designation dropped in the 1980s and Sunrise was upgraded to a freeway in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s from West Babylon to Southampton.

Alex

In more recent extensions, they just simply dump you off at the last current off-ramp:

Virginia 262 at its previous temp end at Virginia 252.

East end of Future I-22 at Exit 65.

Dr Frankenstein

A-30 East ends at A-15 until December 2011.

Clearview, in case you ask. All-caps, negative contrast Clearview.

cu2010

I think those belong in "The Worst of Road Signs" thread...ew!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

rickmastfan67

Here's a blog post I did on the temporary end of "Future I-99" @ Skytop till they finished the highway back in '08.
http://rickmastfan67.blogspot.com/2008/08/roadtrip-073108.html

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: cu2010 on June 05, 2011, 05:17:59 PM
I think those belong in "The Worst of Road Signs" thread...ew!

At least the shields on the signs are done right...even the I-87 shield looks pretty decent (most of the I-87 shields in Quebec look okay, the numbers are just slightly off on size and width at times).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

formulanone

I was digging around though some old photos, and found this one in June of 1992, while Alligator Alley was getting ready to be four-laned in its conversion to I-75. This photo is at the Snake Road (CR 833) exit. The sign on the right of the photo says "Drive With Caution". (Sorry for the glare.)

I-75 Temporary End by formulanone at Flickr

D-Dey65

Quote from: nyratk1 on June 05, 2011, 05:27:14 AM
The one I'd love to see is when NY 27's Sunrise Hwy. routing was being built in 1950s and early 60s and a temp end was at Phyllis Drive in East Patchogue - a residential street that connected to NY 27's old routing along Montauk Hwy. Montauk Hwy. then became NY 27A in areas where Sunrise was built, was cosigned with Suffolk CR 85 from Oakdale to Patchogue and CR 80 from Patchogue to Southampton, had the 27A designation dropped in the 1980s and Sunrise was upgraded to a freeway in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s from West Babylon to Southampton.
You too? I also wouldn't mind seeing the temporary ending at Eastport-Manorville Road(Suffolk County Road 55), as well as the one in the opposite direction at NY 24 in Hampton Bays.

Other temporary ends I'd like to see are the Long Island Expressway at Exit 61(which I remember from my childhood), and from Exit 57(which may've been before I was born), partially because Hagstroms and other maps have showed a westbound loop ramp from Veterans Memorial Highway to the L.I.E. The one at Exit 55 would be good too.

For Long Island Parkways, I want to see the entrances to Heckscher State Park and Sunken Meadow State Park, before they had the eponymous parkways attached to them.

Upstate, I want to see the temporary endings of Sprain Brook Parkway at both Jackson Avenue, and the Cross Westchester Expressway.

For non-state highways, the temporary endings of Nicolls Road at Portion Road and South Coleman Road would be nice, not to mention the temporary ending of Patchogue-Mount Sinai Road at NY 112. Speaking of Suffolk County Road 83, the bridge over Bicycle Path before Patchogue-Mount Sinai was built and North Ocean Avenue's northern terminus before Patchogue-Mount Sinai was built wouldn't be such a bad idea.

There are some others, but I can't think of them right now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.