News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Fines proportional to income?

Started by hotdogPi, May 31, 2020, 08:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

One of the most common topics on this forum is about states not having enough funding. What is your opinion on having fines proportional to income (or total wealth), as some European countries do? I support it, although I'm not that familiar with it myself. (What would happen to visitors? College students?)

Of course, not all the money would go to roads (there is no reason for it), but if it's split among several things, roads would get at least some extra income.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jeffandnicole

So if you're unemployed,  you can drive around all day without due regard to safety of others, and be given no fine because you have no income?

No.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 31, 2020, 09:02:26 AM
So if you're unemployed,  you can drive around all day without due regard to safety of others, and be given no fine because you have no income?

No.

The way it works in countries that have implemented it, there's a fixed minimum, and it increases from there.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

formulanone

The concept of proportional fines isn't going to happen in a land where the wealthiest and most sheltered would get to write the law in the first place. The moment someone gets a $89,000 traffic fine means the law, however well-meaning, wouldn't last two months. It's already bordering on insanity that an single-occupant HOV violation costs $400+ in California. I think we'd wind up with more draconian minimum fines.

We don't even have mandatory minimums for multiple DUI offenses – regardless of class, race, or wealth – something think most can agree with. It's already a proportional system; those with the most money, fame, and means for a good lawyer get the weakest punishments.

SEWIGuy

Our tax rates are ridiculously low.  No way proportional fines will be introduced.

Max Rockatansky

The about of push back most legislatures would receive makes this a non-starter almost universally in the United States. 

1995hoo

Might be questionable whether the courts would permit that under the Fourteenth Amendment.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SP Cook

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 31, 2020, 10:18:55 AM
Our tax rates are ridiculously low.  No way proportional fines will be introduced.

Attn Dept G
Bureau of the Fiscal Service
P. O. Box 2188
Parkersburg, WV 26106-2188

You may write a check for any amount you wish.  If you feel your taxes are too low, by all means, be my guest.

As to the OP's question, of course in most states, including mine, "fines" go to the school board.  Thus the random taxers' scheme involves a nominal fine, and 100s of $$ in "court costs" (for a matter that is only in the most technical way possible even in court) which go things like "police training fund" (drunken party), "police equipment time" (buy more toys), etc.  A proportional "fine" would just encourage more traffic "work" and less serious useful policing.  Thus it is the exact opposite of what we should be doing, which is raising speed limits and redirecting cops to places where actual crimes are committed.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 31, 2020, 11:12:32 AM
Might be questionable whether the courts would permit that under the Fourteenth Amendment.

I don't think they'd mass muster under the equal protection clause.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on May 31, 2020, 09:35:48 AM
The concept of proportional fines isn't going to happen in a land where the wealthiest and most sheltered would get to write the law in the first place.

Are you suggesting that, in countries that do have this system in place, the laws were written by the poor and the outcast?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2020, 06:27:22 PM
Our tax rates are ridiculously low.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Our tax rates are ridiculously low high.

FIFY.

Part of what I asked for during my transfer back to California was a 12% raise because of the high state income tax.  Some states might be fairly well off on overall taxes but a handful like California and New York sure aren't among them. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2020, 06:27:22 PM
Our tax rates are ridiculously low.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Our tax rates are ridiculously low high.

FIFY.
High taxes and we still can't spend them on things that matter.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bruce

We have high regressive taxes (like sales tax) and low taxes on everything that really matters. Reverting to the mid-20th century tax structure, which had high rates for very high earners would allow us to afford all the social programs that the U.S. needs to save itself.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Bruce on May 31, 2020, 07:19:15 PM
We have high regressive taxes (like sales tax) and low taxes on everything that really matters. Reverting to the mid-20th century tax structure, which had high rates for very high earners would allow us to afford all the social programs that the U.S. needs to save itself.
Doesn't the US spend like a ton of money per capita on healthcare and it's still trash?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 31, 2020, 07:21:55 PM
Doesn't the US spend like a ton of money per capita on healthcare and it's still trash?

Pretty much:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/08/08/how-us-healthcare-spending-per-capita-compares-with-other-countries-infographic/#4e9e5cd1575d

Or at least it isn't too the level of many of those countries on the same list, still far from stuff like blood letting or leeches.  There is a red tape in the medical fields and lots of other problems that contribute to the high cost of health care in the U.S. 

SectorZ

It's not trash. You live within spitting distance of a dozen hospitals that are all world-renowned.

People's ability to not put down the fork, cigarette, or drink is the problem, a problem much less of one in other countries.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on May 31, 2020, 07:28:31 PM

It's not trash. You live within spitting distance of a dozen hospitals that are all world-renowned.

People's ability to not put down the fork, cigarette, or drink is the problem, a problem much less of one in other countries.

But nobody wants to hear that they are often the source of their own health problems...  More strange to me is that a lot of people refuse to believe that they can be the source of their salvation in terms of their own health if they simply became committed to do something about it.

Brandon

You obviously don't live in Illinois.  We have high sales taxes, high property taxes, and the income tax is nothing to sneeze at either.  Yet we seem to get little for them.  Of course, with almost 8,000 governmental units, most of the taxes go to overhead.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Political topics are not allowed and this is one - This gets toxic very fast - locked
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.