News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: westerninterloper on October 29, 2022, 07:14:03 PM
Quote from: pianocello on October 29, 2022, 10:01:04 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 28, 2022, 12:12:15 PM
It will be great when completed. Evansville and Indy will have a direct freeway and I-69 will be from the Ohio River to the Canadian Border.

I doubt anytime soon we'll, see a Memphis to Canada interstate, but possibly a Union City, TN to Port Huron continuous interstate in about five years..

It'll be closer to ten. I believe the new Ohio River bridge is almost fully funded, but we're still waiting on design and construction. But it's a definite thing at this point.

I'm just excited for the stretch south of Indianapolis to be done so I can drive to Chicago without going through Terre Haute.

Finally, the new Terre Haute East Bypass, I-65 out of Chicago, to Indy, then I-69 to Evansville, will be complete. World's Longest!

I get how much of a pain driving through Terre Haute is, but the truck traffic on I-65 from Indy to Gary and I-80/94 from Gary to Hammond is very thick. I'm not sure I'd add all those miles to my trip just to avoid Terre Haute.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ibthebigd

To bad it would be to expensive to build a Kentucky style Parkway from Evansville to Northern Indiana

SM-G996U

ilpt4u

Quote from: ibthebigd on October 29, 2022, 09:18:11 PM
To bad it would be to expensive to build a Kentucky style Parkway from Evansville to Northern Indiana

SM-G996U
Those KY Parkways were built as Toll Roads, fwiw

I don't know if a Toll US 41/I-41 freeway along the western IN border would get enough (freight) traffic to make it profitable. A decent amount of the Chicago-Nashville passenger market will have business in Indy or Louisville, making the 65 routing more valuable

That route's potential value is it bypasses Indy and Louisville and is more direct, but the fact that it does will lower traffic counts, which doesn't help a Toll Road

JREwing78

If there was not already a 4-lane highway from Gary all the way to Evansville, a toll-road *might* have merit. But there's simply not that much through traffic on US-41 to begin with, and with the existing 4-lane road there there little traffic left to support a toll road.

It would've been nice if US-41/IN-63 was fully limited access and didn't have stoplights and such, but over most of its length the traffic counts simply don't justify it. InDOT concentrating on uncorking US-30 and US-31 is the right move. Outside of Terra Haute and Evansville, there's few places on US-41 that would qualify as congested.

I think InDOT would do well to enact a policy with US-41 of eliminating stoplights and removing side road and driveway access when the opportunities arise. Posting a 65 mph speed limit outside of urban areas would also be helpful. But there's not that much US-41 honestly needs.

A Terre Haute bypass would also be helpful, though InDOT appears to not have put much thought into the idea, allowing the logical corridor along US-41/Hwy 46 north of I-70 to devolve into a commercial blob. Given the option, however, I'm fine with batting traffc through Terre Haute v.s. fighting it along I-465 around Indy.

edwaleni

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 29, 2022, 10:27:00 PM

If there was not already a 4-lane highway from Gary all the way to Evansville, a toll-road *might* have merit. But there's simply not that much through traffic on US-41 to begin with, and with the existing 4-lane road there there little traffic left to support a toll road.

It would've been nice if US-41/IN-63 was fully limited access and didn't have stoplights and such, but over most of its length the traffic counts simply don't justify it. InDOT concentrating on uncorking US-30 and US-31 is the right move. Outside of Terra Haute and Evansville, there's few places on US-41 that would qualify as congested.

I think InDOT would do well to enact a policy with US-41 of eliminating stoplights and removing side road and driveway access when the opportunities arise. Posting a 65 mph speed limit outside of urban areas would also be helpful. But there's not that much US-41 honestly needs.

A Terre Haute bypass would also be helpful, though InDOT appears to not have put much thought into the idea, allowing the logical corridor along US-41/Hwy 46 north of I-70 to devolve into a commercial blob. Given the option, however, I'm fine with batting traffc through Terre Haute v.s. fighting it along I-465 around Indy.

Having driven both ends of US-41, I guess I can weigh in here.

I don't think that a stoplight removal campaign from stem to stern will drive the further use of the corridor.

The 4 lane job that US-41 has today was driven mostly by the fact that the ROW had really, really bad geometry and routing and required much more stop lights that it has today.

In the pre-interstate era, US-41 carried a significant load of CHI-IND traffic up to the US-52 split.

IN-63 was built due to a large level of resistance of road expansion from Attica south and the desire to use a more regular geography on the west side of the Wabash as compared to the east side.

Again in pre-Interstate days, US-41 from Terre Haute to Evansville was considered the best way for Evansville traffic to reach Indy.

I remember what it was like to drive through Emison, Busseron, the relief of finally reaching Sullivan north of Vincennes in the late 1960's. If one truck was in front of you, you were stuck. Such was life before the 4 lane came along.

Reaching Sullivan was like this huge relief.

Today?

I don't disagree that INDOT didn't give large amount of thought to a Terre Haute bypass. The Honey Creek district south of TH has exploded to the point INDOT had to find a way to get trucks on and off from I-70, hence that new stub that opened just a few years ago.

But none of the traffic planners then or today saw that there would be a large amount of traffic coming up or down US-41 that would have been classified as "pass through".

The interstate system went coming and going out of Chicago, simply went SE (I-65) to Indy or SW (I-55 and I-57) to Memphis and St Louis.

Terre Haute was just never considered a key point in north-south traffic flows. It was either a destination or a originator, but not part of a greater system to reach Chicago from the south.

pianocello

Quote from: westerninterloper on October 29, 2022, 07:14:03 PM
Finally, the new Terre Haute East Bypass, I-65 out of Chicago, to Indy, then I-69 to Evansville, will be complete. World's Longest at 354 miles.

I mean, you joke, but going from a random point on US 41 south of Evansville to the Bishop Ford Freeway in Chicago, the time would be comparable if I can average 73 mph on I-69 and I-65. That's a big "if" though.

And honestly, US 41/SR 63 is a perfectly good road, if not for the dozens of stoplights and the 60 mph speed limit.

I have a feeling I'll be going between Evansville and Chicago at least twice a year for the foreseeable future, so I'll have enough chances to play around with the routings and develop a preference. And I haven't used I-65 enough to be annoyed with its heavy truck traffic. Yet.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

JREwing78

Google Maps gives me:

- 5:06 from downtown Chicago to downtown Evansville via I-94 -> IL-394 -> US-30 -> US-41 -> IN-63 -> US-41

- 5:23 for I-57 -> IL-121 -> IL-33 -> IL-130 -> IL-1 -> I-64 -> IN-65 -> IN-66

- 5:27 for I-90 -> I-65 -> I-465 -> IN-67 -> IN-39 -> I-69

It'll be interesting to see how much time comes off once the I-69/I-465 interchange is open and remaining I-69 construction is completed.

RIndy

Quote from: edwaleni on October 29, 2022, 11:29:10 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on October 29, 2022, 10:27:00 PM

Having driven both ends of US-41, I guess I can weigh in here.

I don't think that a stoplight removal campaign from stem to stern will drive the further use of the corridor.

The 4 lane job that US-41 has today was driven mostly by the fact that the ROW had really, really bad geometry and routing and required much more stop lights that it has today.

In the pre-interstate era, US-41 carried a significant load of CHI-IND traffic up to the US-52 split.

IN-63 was built due to a large level of resistance of road expansion from Attica south and the desire to use a more regular geography on the west side of the Wabash as compared to the east side.

Again in pre-Interstate days, US-41 from Terre Haute to Evansville was considered the best way for Evansville traffic to reach Indy.

I remember what it was like to drive through Emison, Busseron, the relief of finally reaching Sullivan north of Vincennes in the late 1960's. If one truck was in front of you, you were stuck. Such was life before the 4 lane came along.

Reaching Sullivan was like this huge relief.

Today?

I don't disagree that INDOT didn't give large amount of thought to a Terre Haute bypass. The Honey Creek district south of TH has exploded to the point INDOT had to find a way to get trucks on and off from I-70, hence that new stub that opened just a few years ago.

But none of the traffic planners then or today saw that there would be a large amount of traffic coming up or down US-41 that would have been classified as "pass through".

The interstate system went coming and going out of Chicago, simply went SE (I-65) to Indy or SW (I-55 and I-57) to Memphis and St Louis.

Terre Haute was just never considered a key point in north-south traffic flows. It was either a destination or a originator, but not part of a greater system to reach Chicago from the south.
Since we talking about US 41, located on the western edge of Indiana, US 41 starts at its northern point in Copper Harbor in Upper Peninsula of Michigan, 41 crosses 31 to the east in Nashville TN goes all the way to Miami ends on US 1. Is US 41 the second or third longest North and south US highways.
Back in the 70's, 1972 to be exact, while attending Vincennes University, US 41 one time was two lane and one of the most dangerous part south of Terre Haute, south of the TV towers, high accidents happens in this stretch of highway before INDOT made it into all four lane from Terre Haute to Evansville. I-69 ends on US 41 north of Ohio river bridges. Again US 41 with its twin bridges over the Ohio River. This stretch of US 41 connects Indiana I-69 and Kentucky I-69.
One more thing I wanted to add connecting with US 41, again when I went to Vincennes University, one time IN 57 started on US 41 in Evansville, ends on IN67, IN 67 starts in Vincennes crossed US 41 goes all the way to I-465. There was, still is IN 57 and IN 67 connecting Indianapolis and Evansville.

NWI_Irish96

SM-G996U

Really all you need is a Terre Haute bypass and a connector between US 41 and IL 394 somewhere between St John and Cedar Lake. The rest flows pretty well.

tosa

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 31, 2022, 08:18:38 AM

SM-G996U

Really all you need is a Terre Haute bypass and a connector between US 41 and IL 394 somewhere between St John and Cedar Lake. The rest flows pretty well.

The Illiana Corridor would be the answer if it was built.

silverback1065

I remember seeing a drawing on an INDOT site I think  :hmmm: It had a map of Terre Haute showing 641 and it had this red line going from 40/46 going north and curling over to 63 as a future bypass. maybe they are thinking of it I have no idea. this was years ago.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tosa on October 31, 2022, 08:36:59 AM

SM-G996U

If the entire Iliana doesn't get built, at least build a connector between 394 and 41.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 30, 2022, 08:53:51 PM
Google Maps gives me:

- 5:06 from downtown Chicago to downtown Evansville via I-94 -> IL-394 -> US-30 -> US-41 -> IN-63 -> US-41

It'll be interesting to see how much time comes off once the I-69/I-465 interchange is open and remaining I-69 construction is completed.

Once you get out of the Chicago suburbs, US-41/IN-63 is such an easy drive to Terre Haute though. Slow speed limit sure, but hardly any traffic compared to the alternatives. It's a little busier between TH and Evansville, but if it ends up even close, I would take that in a heartbeat over I-65.

And they aren't going to build a TH bypass. I just don't think there is enough thru traffic to justify it.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 31, 2022, 09:11:50 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on October 30, 2022, 08:53:51 PM
Google Maps gives me:

Once you get out of the Chicago suburbs, US-41/IN-63 is such an easy drive to Terre Haute though. Slow speed limit sure, but hardly any traffic compared to the alternatives. It's a little busier between TH and Evansville, but if it ends up even close, I would take that in a heartbeat over I-65.

And they aren't going to build a TH bypass. I just don't think there is enough thru traffic to justify it.

Speed limit is 60 from just past Cedar Lake all the way down to the edge of TH with the exception of a small segment near I-74. I've only ever seen speeding patrols in Newton County though. Never anywhere else.

silverback1065

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 31, 2022, 09:00:11 AM
Quote from: tosa on October 31, 2022, 08:36:59 AM

SM-G996U

If the entire Iliana doesn't get built, at least build a connector between 394 and 41.

i'd say 65 not 41.

mgk920

Also a SE to NW crossover between I-69 at its first major curve north of I-64 and US 41 near or just north of Fort Branch, IN.

Mike

Life in Paradise

Quote from: mgk920 on October 31, 2022, 01:01:07 PM
Also a SE to NW crossover between I-69 at its first major curve north of I-64 and US 41 near or just north of Fort Branch, IN.

Mike
A lot of people like me take the IN-68 exit (no 23) over to US41 and then go north.  I do know a lot of people that live in the Evansville/Newburgh IN area that take that exit or will go a little further out of their way to the IN-168 exit north of there to go to the Toyota manufacturing plant.  The latter will get them into the back entrance easily.

hobsini2

When my brother lived south of Nashville and I was making that trip from Chicagoland a couple times a year, If I was in a hurry, I always took I-57 to I-24. If I had time, I liked using US 41/IN 63/Audbon Pkwy/I-165/I-65. I once did I-65 and once did I-69/IN 37/I-65. Not a fan.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 31, 2022, 09:06:02 PM
When my brother lived south of Nashville and I was making that trip from Chicagoland a couple times a year, If I was in a hurry, I always took I-57 to I-24. If I had time, I liked using US 41/IN 63/Audbon Pkwy/I-165/I-65. I once did I-65 and once did I-69/IN 37/I-65. Not a fan.

Last time we went to Nashville we did US 41/IN 63/US 41/I-69/I-169/I-24. Much, much less traffic than using I-65.

westerninterloper

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 01, 2022, 07:25:17 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on October 31, 2022, 09:06:02 PM

Last time we went to Nashville we did US 41/IN 63/US 41/I-69/I-169/I-24. Much, much less traffic than using I-65.

I really enjoy the stretch of Indiana 63 from north of Terre Haute to Crown Point - there's almost no traffic as you mentioned, and for about 90 miles north of TH, the terrain is hilly and forested in many parts - a relief from the flatness of the Kankakee Swamp.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

RIndy

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 28, 2022, 02:29:41 PM
I just drove north along SR 37 from Bloomington all the way to I-465. As for County Line Rd, the turn off for the exit is just north of the Fairview intersection. It looks open, it appears that the ramp goes along the still-under construction portion of the northbound lanes of I-69 up to the County Line Rd exit itself.

Interestingly, just north of the exit I saw a new mileage sign. It gives the distances to Southport at 2 miles and Indianapolis at 5 miles. Well, let's start with the first destination. Southport "Road" is 2 miles away from this point. The actual city of Southport is like another three miles to the east. Secondly, Downtown Indianapolis is definitely not five miles away, I-465 more or less is.

Also, there was another new sign I noticed just north of Smith Valley Road. I have no idea why it says this but the sign read "Tribute of Honey Creek." Tributary I imagine?
I went by there today, I didn't see that sign you talking about. The Honey creek does go under the high way from east and is connected to White River to the west.

Interstate 69 Fan

Today's On Track Project Update states I-69 will be extended up to SR 144 when the SB on-ramp opens by the end of the year. The NB off-ramp is opening up today, and the Southport Road Bridge opens later this week.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Interstate 69 Fan

Southport Rd bridge is open - SB off-ramp has also opened to traffic.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Bobby5280

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned earlier, there is quite a bit of recent Street View imagery, dated 9/2022, of the I-69 construction zone leading up to I-465. They even have some new exit ramps covered, such as the double roundabout design at County Line Road.

SW Indiana

INDOT has bid letting scheduled for Jan 19, 2023 for signing along 69 from "Ohio River-Vanderburgh Co to 4M N of Monroe-Morgan Co line: new interstate signing."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.