News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: bluecountry on July 21, 2020, 09:45:29 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 20, 2020, 11:48:46 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/rjm4mTUCkuLxga5a7
Philadelphia is now used for the NJ Turnpike on the Garden State Parkway.
Hopefully they do this for all exits.
I believe such has only been applied to the southbound GSP exit 129 signs.  The northbound Exit 129 signs lists Trenton. 

The sign for southbound I-95/NJTP beyond the NJTP toll plaza still reads Trenton.  For consistency, I would've replaced that southbound sign with one that lists both Trenton & Philadelphia.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 21, 2020, 11:11:57 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 20, 2020, 04:28:05 PM
Haven't been on I-64 since 2017, so is construction now finished with the expansion?
It was split up into three phases, two of which have been complete.

Phase 1 covers Exit 255 - Exit 250, and was completed in December 2017.
Phase 2 covers Exit 250 - Exit 242 (southern VA-199 interchange), and was completed in April 2019.
Phase 3 covers Exit 242 - Exit 234 (northern VA-199 interchange), and will be complete in late 2021.

The completed segments with now 3 lanes in each direction have made a huge improvement over the old design with only 2 lanes in each direction.

Additionally, a fourth project near Richmond widened I-64 from 4 to 6 lanes between Exit 200 (I-295) and Exit 205, and was completed in August 2019.

The ultimate goal is to widen the remaining 28 miles between Exit 205 and Exit 234 to 6 lanes, though no funding has been secured. The planning organization for the Richmond area submitted an application on SmartScale (VDOT's funding program) a few years back to widen between Exit 205 and Exit 211, though did not receive funding. The HRTPO (Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization) is working to acquire funding for a Phase 4, spanning Exit 234 to Exit 227, and may well be complete by or before 2030, if not more additional segments such as the aforementioned Exit 205 - Exit 211 proposal.

Interesting.
I wonder where on that span between exit 205 and 234 it goes from Hampton and Richmond jurisdiction?

You know it is silly if they are widening I-64 to 6 lanes, that I-95 between I-295 and exit 126 is just 6 lanes with NO plans to make it wider.

bluecountry

Quote from: DrSmith on July 20, 2020, 04:46:51 PM
First, the NJTP was so bad between exits 6-9 because of the lack of the Somerset Freeway and not getting to it sooner when earlier when LOS was decreasing. The few years before the construction started, it was routine for 25 mile delays to form from exits 6-8A on weekends constantly and significant other delays at other times. Those significant delays would not have happened if the work had been done sooner. It's unfair to use that as a comparison point. Using that as a basis says stop many projects until we have horrendous traffic.

Second, it is not appropriate to compare needs between the lists of items involving multiple jurisdictions. The NJTA is only responsible for two roadways, the turnpike and the parkway. That is all they can prioritize and manage, all based on their toll collection capability and ability to obtain bonds.  Even the other projects involve different states/jurisdictions, who each have to individually rank and prioritize based on their their resources and overall needs and those projects relative to needs.

What was the reason 6-9 was so crowded, as that's not a very urban area like NJ is north of 9.

sprjus4

Quote from: bluecountry on July 21, 2020, 03:17:00 PM
I wonder where on that span between exit 205 and 234 it goes from Hampton and Richmond jurisdiction?
About a mile west of Exit 227, at the New Kent county line. That's where HRTPO's proposed Phase 4 would end.

The 21 mile project from Exit 255 to Exit 234 completed the majority of the Hampton Roads segment, now 2/3 complete with full completion by late next year.

You know it is silly if they are widening I-64 to 6 lanes, that I-95 between I-295 and exit 126 is just 6 lanes with NO plans to make it wider.
I-95 should be a minimum of 8 lanes between Richmond and DC. It's a joke they haven't touched it and have no plans to. At least they're going somewhere with I-64.

I-295 was built properly between I-95 and I-64, still adequate today, and should be how the whole interstate up to DC looks.

sprjus4

Quote from: bluecountry on July 21, 2020, 03:17:33 PM
What was the reason 6-9 was so crowded, as that's not a very urban area like NJ is north of 9.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike from the west tying into the New Jersey Turnpike north. A large traffic load comes in from there, and even moreso from Philadelphia with I-95 complete.

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 21, 2020, 03:25:11 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 21, 2020, 03:17:00 PM
About a mile west of Exit 227, at the New Kent county line. That's where HRTPO's proposed Phase 4 would end.

The 21 mile project from Exit 255 to Exit 234 completed the majority of the Hampton Roads segment, now 2/3 complete with full completion by late next year.

I-95 should be a minimum of 8 lanes between Richmond and DC. It's a joke they haven't touched it and have no plans to. At least they're going somewhere with I-64.

I-295 was built properly between I-95 and I-64, still adequate today, and should be how the whole interstate up to DC looks.
Very very frustrating, 95 needs to be 8 lanes from 295 to exit 126, then 12 lanes to PWpkwy, then 14 lanes to 495.

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 21, 2020, 03:27:07 PM
The Pennsylvania Turnpike from the west tying into the New Jersey Turnpike north. A large traffic load comes in from there, and even moreso from Philadelphia with I-95 complete.
Actually I think it really picks up after 195, which takes the 'local' 295 traffic onto the NJTP.

jeffandnicole

(You guessed some of this correctly in your response regarding 295, before I posted this)

In addition to sprjus' response, the stretch of roadway between 6 and 9, and more specifically between Exits 7A and 8A, was the clogged artery of I-95 in the grand network of roadways connecting NY and points North & East, with PA/DE and points South & West. 

Between 7A and 8A, there was only 6 thru lanes - 3 North and 3 South.  North of that, the Turnpike widened out to 10, then 12, then 14 lanes.  287 and the Parkway diverted traffic from the Turnpike to points further North and East  Once in NY, numerous highways directed people closer to their origins or destinations.

South of 7A, you had the parallel 295, which added another 6 lanes to the corridor immediately parallel to it. Just a few miles further west, you had 95 itself, which added another 6 lanes or so.  Even at it's narrowest point in South Jersey, you still had 2 lanes on the Turnpike and 2 lanes on 295 in each direction, or 8 lanes total; greater than the 6 lanes total in Central Jersey. 

You also had the PA Turnpike mixing in too, which was 4 lanes wide, then 6 lanes in NJ. 

The end result:  Up north, at minimum and immediately adjacent to this area:
12 Lanes of the NJ Turnpike
6 Lanes of 287
10 Lanes of the GSP

28 Total Lanes

Just South:
6 Lanes of Turnpike
6 Lanes of 295
6 Lanes of 95
4 Lanes of the PA Turnpike

22 Total Lanes.

And all of that traffic had to squeeze into 6 Lanes of the NJ Turnpike between 6 & 8A.

If you wanted to expand that, look at 95 in Delaware.  2 Lanes of 95, 3 lanes of 495, 2 lanes of the NJ Turnpike and 2 Lanes of 295 (9 Lanes total) all narrow down into 5 lanes of 95 in Delaware below DE 141.  When 95 narrows down to 4 lanes, at least enough traffic diverts off of 95 onto DE 1 to really bottleneck the area.  US 13/40 also assist with the traffic flow down there, especially off of 295 and 495, to alleviate some of the traffic from 95.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 21, 2020, 04:13:31 PM

(You guessed some of this correctly in your response regarding 295, before I posted this)

In addition to sprjus' response, the stretch of roadway between 6 and 9, and more specifically between Exits 7A and 8A, was the clogged artery of I-95 in the grand network of roadways connecting NY and points North & East, with PA/DE and points South & West. 

Between 7A and 8A, there was only 6 thru lanes - 3 North and 3 South.  North of that, the Turnpike widened out to 10, then 12, then 14 lanes.  287 and the Parkway diverted traffic from the Turnpike to points further North and East  Once in NY, numerous highways directed people closer to their origins or destinations.

South of 7A, you had the parallel 295, which added another 6 lanes to the corridor immediately parallel to it. Just a few miles further west, you had 95 itself, which added another 6 lanes or so.  Even at it's narrowest point in South Jersey, you still had 2 lanes on the Turnpike and 2 lanes on 295 in each direction, or 8 lanes total; greater than the 6 lanes total in Central Jersey. 

You also had the PA Turnpike mixing in too, which was 4 lanes wide, then 6 lanes in NJ. 

6 Lanes of 287
10 Lanes of the GSP

28 Total Lanes

Just South:
6 Lanes of Turnpike
6 Lanes of 295
6 Lanes of 95

22 Total Lanes.

And all of that traffic had to squeeze into 6 Lanes of the NJ Turnpike between 6 & 8A.

If you wanted to expand that, look at 95 in Delaware.  2 Lanes of 95, 3 lanes of 495, 2 lanes of the NJ Turnpike and 2 Lanes of 295 (9 Lanes total) all narrow down into 5 lanes of 95 in Delaware below DE 141.  When 95 narrows down to 4 lanes, at least enough traffic diverts off of 95 onto DE 1 to really bottleneck the area.  US 13/40 also assist with the traffic flow down there, especially off of 295 and 495, to alleviate some of the traffic from 95.
I say bring the 3-3-3-3 Atleast by Cherry hill & the rest of the way to Del Memorial bridge keep it 4 lanes in each direction.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

bluecountry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 21, 2020, 04:13:31 PM

6 Lanes of 287
10 Lanes of the GSP

28 Total Lanes

Just South:
6 Lanes of Turnpike
6 Lanes of 295
6 Lanes of 95

22 Total Lanes.

Sounds like VA with 95 south of 495....if only they would follow and make it 12 lanes to exit 126 then 8 to 295.

roadman65

I-4 between Davenport and Kissimmee the same way.  I-4 is 6 lanes but east of Disney you have 4 lanes of SR 429, 4 lanes of SR 417 and then much traffic distributes themselves to the theme parks and resorts of US 192 (as many live in Polk County and commute) and then you have many that head east now on 8 lanes of SR 528.

22 lanes on the east side.

From the west you have Champion's Gate that is a big bedroom community now for Orlando and Disney.

At Exit 55 you have 6 lanes now on US 27 that takes a lot of traffic off of I-4 and the 6 remaining lanes of I-4 to Tampa. 

Only 12 here, but 6 lanes to connect the 12 west of Davenport to the 22 on the east end plus local use in between.  Especially that US 17 & 92 is no relief route anymore due to its own development and that of Poinciana, a community that does not have a place for most to work, so many have to travel to Orlando or Kissimmee to get their paychecks clogging US 92 and John Young Parkway up with commuters. 

So all of it is on I-4 now from Disney to US 27 thanks to over developing and no road planning at all except for way in the future projects like the Beyond The Ultimate which maybe in jeopardy cause of this Pandemic.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bluecountry

I'm disappointed the new capital plan doesn't include:

1.  Re-doing the control city signs to be Philadelphia on SB NJTP
2.  Re-numbering the exits north of exit 18, either continue with the NJTP exits OR do the real I-95

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on July 22, 2020, 09:52:07 AM

2.  Re-numbering the exits north of exit 18, either continue with the NJTP exits OR do the real I-95

Capital Plans tend to show large ticket items; not everything the Turnpike intends to purchase or work on during the next several years.  The current capital plan would up with more projects than originally projected due to favorable construction costs over the past 10 years.

bluecountry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2020, 12:55:41 PM

Capital Plans tend to show large ticket items; not everything the Turnpike intends to purchase or work on during the next several years.  The current capital plan would up with more projects than originally projected due to favorable construction costs over the past 10 years.
I hope so...

storm2k

Those are minor things that probably don't even merit crossing the authority's radar.

1. I doubt they have any real desire to change control cities. Honestly, all of you who grouse about this should just leave it be. Trenton comes before Philadelphia on the Turnpike's journey. They've considered Trenton an important control city pretty much since the road was built. The signage for Exit 6 properly shows Philadelphia as a destination by following 95. That's enough.

2. I doubt that the exits north of 18 are not getting renumbered unless the Turnpike goes to mileage based exit numbering, which I don't see happening any time soon either. Drop it.

SignBridge

I agree with you storm2k. This argument re: control cities goes on and on and on. No matter what cities are used, someone's not going to like it. The debate can go on forever. So yes, let's give it a rest.

The endless exit numbering discussions are a real hornet's nest and there are no simple answers especially trying to integrate the national system with the legacy toll road numbering. I think you're right that the NJ Turnpike is not likely to convert to mileage based numbers until and unless the FWHA forces them to. So let's give that a rest too.

storm2k

Looks like efforts are under way to begin installing the new hybrid style barrel/VMS signs on Turnpike entrance ramps. They've built a couple of piers on the Exit 12 overpass over the SB lanes. They look just like the kind of piers they built near 15W for the original VMS/VSLS installs from a few years ago.

roadman65

Philadelphia is now on the Parkway in Woodbridge for the Turnpike. So they are making progress there some.

Exit number change is as likely as Self Serve Gas in the Garden State.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Self-serve gas will probably happen first! LOL

famartin

Quote from: SignBridge on September 05, 2020, 08:25:26 PM
Self-serve gas will probably happen first! LOL

Funny you mention that. In the last few weeks I've self-served myself a couple of times at busy stations when the attendant was elsewhere serving others. Maybe because of COVID, but the attendants seem to just shrug it off. My out-of-state plates may also be a factor in that...

Ned Weasel

Quote from: famartin on September 06, 2020, 08:48:37 AM
Funny you mention that. In the last few weeks I've self-served myself a couple of times at busy stations when the attendant was elsewhere serving others. Maybe because of COVID, but the attendants seem to just shrug it off. My out-of-state plates may also be a factor in that...

If you aren't allowed to self-serve, then why aren't the pumps locked, so attendants have to scan a card to unlock them?

Not blaming you for finding a loophole.  Just saying, if it's such a big deal, why not have an easy mechanism for it?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

odditude

Quote from: stridentweasel on September 06, 2020, 09:46:17 AM

If you aren't allowed to self-serve, then why aren't the pumps locked, so attendants have to scan a card to unlock them?

Not blaming you for finding a loophole.  Just saying, if it's such a big deal, why not have an easy mechanism for it?

that would be incredibly expensive to implement in a manner that actually properly managed access control - both up-front and ongoing maintenance. nobody would voluntarily do it, and there's zero chance of legislation being passed that would force the matter.

SignBridge

Why is New Jersey so against self-serve in the first place?

odditude

jeffandnicole

I've seen these locking mechanisms at Hess/Speedway, and at BJ's gas.

(Note...in NJ you don't need a membership to get gas at a warehouse club. At Sams Club, they don't require any sort of card to activate the pumps. At BJs, the attendant has an employee card to turn the pump on).

Why isn't it more widespread? Probably because the penalty is so minor or non-existant for serving yourself, it's not worth it. The penalty actually goes against the gas station, not the customer. And a lock only prevents someone from starting the pump. I can still go out and take the nozzle out, put the cap on, and get my receipt.

Alps

Quote from: odditude on September 06, 2020, 12:59:12 PM

that would be incredibly expensive to implement in a manner that actually properly managed access control - both up-front and ongoing maintenance. nobody would voluntarily do it, and there's zero chance of legislation being passed that would force the matter.
Some places have the employee card lock, some don't. If you know a place doesn't, you can serve yourself. I've been more reluctant to do it with COVID, but obviously I have no choice if I leave the state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.