News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Buck87

I heard a radio commercial for some beer store in the Marblehead/Catawba area that said something like "Roundabout construction woes have you feeling down, well we're still open..."

So I take the new roundabout for OH 163/North Shore Blvd/Englebeck Rd is underway.

frankenroad

Quote from: Buck87 on September 20, 2022, 10:15:32 AM
I heard a radio commercial for some beer store in the Marblehead/Catawba area that said something like "Roundabout construction woes have you feeling down, well we're still open..."

So I take the new roundabout for OH 163/North Shore Blvd/Englebeck Rd is underway.

When I was up there over Labor Day, signs indicated construction would begin Sept. 12, so I guess it did.  Hopefully, it will be completed before Memorial Day.  I'll be up there again in October, so I'll be interested to see how much has been accomplished.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

andrepoiy

I just got back from a little road trip and I noticed that the section where I visited Ohio (that would be from the PA/OH state line near Erie/Ashtabula to the OH/MI stateline at Toledo), there were a lot of Florida license plates. Does anybody know why that might be?

Alps

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 10, 2022, 09:28:23 PM
I just got back from a little road trip and I noticed that the section where I visited Ohio (that would be from the PA/OH state line near Erie/Ashtabula to the OH/MI stateline at Toledo), there were a lot of Florida license plates. Does anybody know why that might be?
no fall foliage in FL so they head north

6a

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 10, 2022, 09:28:23 PM
I've seen a lot in Columbus as well. I just assumed it was because of the hurricane. That part of Florida is full of Ohio expats.

frankenroad

Quote from: frankenroad on September 20, 2022, 04:26:08 PM

When I was up there over Labor Day, signs indicated construction would begin Sept. 12, so I guess it did.  Hopefully, it will be completed before Memorial Day.  I'll be up there again in October, so I'll be interested to see how much has been accomplished.

I was in the area over last weekend.  The southern half of the roundabout is complete.  Between Sunday (9th) and Monday (10th) they diverted through traffic onto the completed section of the roundabout, so I assume construction of the north half commenced on Monday.  If they keep up this pace, it should be complete by Thanksgiving (assuming they can still get asphalt).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Buck87

Governor DeWine Announces 50 New Traffic Safety Projects
https://governor.ohio.gov/media/news-and-media/governor-dewine-announces-50-new-traffic-safety-projects-11042022

Full list:
https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/OHIOGOVERNOR/2022/11/03/file_attachments/2319081/2022%20Safety%20Projects.pdf

some local roundabouts of note to me:
- OH 269 and Portland Rd north of Bellevue
- OH 4 and OH 113 east of Bellevue (currently signalized, has odd angle and sits on a ridge with houses and a business in close proximity, will be interesting to see how they do it)
- US 20 and OH 511 (would be 2nd roundabout on US 20's two lane section between Norwalk and Oberlin)

US 23 Marion County:
- Eliminate (cul-de-sac) Bethlehem Rd intersection
- convert Newmans Cardington Rd intersection to RIRO with turn lanes

zzcarp

Quote from: Buck87 on November 12, 2022, 07:41:49 PM
some local roundabouts of note to me:
- OH 269 and Portland Rd north of Bellevue
- OH 4 and OH 113 east of Bellevue (currently signalized, has odd angle and sits on a ridge with houses and a business in close proximity, will be interesting to see how they do it)
- US 20 and OH 511 (would be 2nd roundabout on US 20's two lane section between Norwalk and Oberlin)

That's interesting. The OH 4 - OH 113 intersection probably was only signalized due to that extreme skew. There seems to be room to put the roundabout to the east of the intersection and avoid much taking on the western developed side of the intersection. It also remains to be seen if it's a 5-legged roundabout to accommodate the local Edmonds Road intersection just north, or if they'll just turn that into a cul-de-sac.

As for US 20 - OH 511, they have the room but I ask why is it necessary. US 20 has so much more traffic and this will force the highway-speed traffic to slow down to manipulate the roundabout. But there is plenty of room with the corner gas station abandoned and farmland in two of the other three quadrants. I guess it's probably my bias about not replacing unsignalized intersections with roundabouts when one side has heavy traffic.

Fun fact: my first "real" summer job was at Green Circle Growers plant 5 just south of US 20 on 511.

So many miles and so many roads

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buck87 on November 12, 2022, 07:41:49 PM
Governor DeWine Announces 50 New Traffic Safety Projects
https://governor.ohio.gov/media/news-and-media/governor-dewine-announces-50-new-traffic-safety-projects-11042022

Full list:
https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/OHIOGOVERNOR/2022/11/03/file_attachments/2319081/2022%20Safety%20Projects.pdf
QuoteOh 32 (Pike Co) Build a turbo lane at State Route 124 in Piketon. High severity, high application score.
US 35 (Jackson Co) Build a turbo lane at Dixon Run Road in Bloomfield Township. High severity, high application score.

What the hell is a "Turbo Lane"?!?  :confused: :hmm:

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

JREwing78

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 13, 2022, 03:03:59 PM

"It's basically the installation of acceleration and turn lanes for traffic merging on and off U.S. Route 35 and Dixon Run Road to give drivers a place to safely get up to speed and merge into mainline traffic without having to try and turn directly into a passing lane,"  McGuire stated.

https://www.thetelegramnews.com/articles/u-s-route-35-dixon-run-road-intersection-to-get-turbo-lane/

GCrites

When I was looking it up, all I saw was that and a bunch of diagrams of Turbo Roundabouts. Is Turbo Lane an ODOT only term?

jt4

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 13, 2022, 03:12:14 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 13, 2022, 03:03:59 PM

"It's basically the installation of acceleration and turn lanes for traffic merging on and off U.S. Route 35 and Dixon Run Road to give drivers a place to safely get up to speed and merge into mainline traffic without having to try and turn directly into a passing lane,"  McGuire stated.

https://www.thetelegramnews.com/articles/u-s-route-35-dixon-run-road-intersection-to-get-turbo-lane/

What's the difference between a turbo lane and a regular turn lane and acceleration lane? Why come up with a new term for it?

frankenroad

Quote from: frankenroad on October 13, 2022, 02:34:25 PM
Quote from: frankenroad on September 20, 2022, 04:26:08 PM

I was in the area over last weekend.  The southern half of the roundabout is complete.  Between Sunday (9th) and Monday (10th) they diverted through traffic onto the completed section of the roundabout, so I assume construction of the north half commenced on Monday.  If they keep up this pace, it should be complete by Thanksgiving (assuming they can still get asphalt).

According to something I saw on Facebook, the roundabout is complete and open to traffic.  I must say that I'm impressed they did it in less than 10 weeks.  We have one here that has been under construction for at least 6 months.

amroad17

The Ohio DOT district that is responsible for US 30 between Beaverdam and Upper Sandusky need to replace the mileage signs for Mansfield and Fort Wayne at each of the interchanges.  It is approximately 150 miles between the two cities, as the correct mileages are shown at the OH 65 and OH 115 interchanges west of Beaverdam.  The correct mileages should be at each interchange (Mansfield listed first then Ft. Wayne)...
    -OH 696: 83-67 (shows 71-64)
    -OH 235: 75-75 (shows 75-70)
    -US 68  : 66-84 (shows 58-79 NB, 57-79 SB)
    -OH 37  : 60-90 (shows 50-86)
    -CR 330 : 51-99 (shows 43-99)

The mileage signs were correctly updated for Mansfield between Van Wert and just east of Delphos a few years ago.  The Ft. Wayne mileage should be posted at 47 instead of 50 on the post interchange mileage sign on US 30 above Delphos.

Likewise, the post-interchange mileage signs on US 33 between Wapakoneta and St. Mary's should show Ft. Wayne five miles less than what is currently posted (62, 58, 54 heading WB on US 33).  The Columbus-Ft. Wayne mileage sign at the Moulton interchange should have Ft. Wayne at 59 instead of 56.

There are others, not just in Ohio, but along I-86 in New York (Binghamton, Erie, and Jamestown--which I have mentioned on the I-86 and New York threads), some places in Virginia, in Kentucky, and in North Carolina.

I know I may be a bit OCD about mileage signs, however, I would just like to see more accuracy and consistency from the DOT's in our respective states.

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

PurdueBill

Quote from: amroad17 on December 19, 2022, 03:03:09 AM
The Ohio DOT district that is responsible for US 30 between Beaverdam and Upper Sandusky need to replace the mileage signs for Mansfield and Fort Wayne at each of the interchanges.  It is approximately 150 miles between the two cities, as the correct mileages are shown at the OH 65 and OH 115 interchanges west of Beaverdam.  The correct mileages should be at each interchange (Mansfield listed first then Ft. Wayne)...

The mileage signs were correctly updated for Mansfield between Van Wert and just east of Delphos a few years ago.  The Ft. Wayne mileage should be posted at 47 instead of 50 on the post interchange mileage sign on US 30 above Delphos.

Likewise, the post-interchange mileage signs on US 33 between Wapakoneta and St. Mary's should show Ft. Wayne five miles less than what is currently posted (62, 58, 54 heading WB on US 33).  The Columbus-Ft. Wayne mileage sign at the Moulton interchange should have Ft. Wayne at 59 instead of 56.

There are others, not just in Ohio, but along I-86 in New York (Binghamton, Erie, and Jamestown--which I have mentioned on the I-86 and New York threads), some places in Virginia, in Kentucky, and in North Carolina.

I know I may be a bit OCD about mileage signs, however, I would just like to see more accuracy and consistency from the DOT's in our respective states.

It was interesting how the 1999-installed button copy sign on US 30 EB just after the Beaverdam exit said "Mansfield 70" and was patched to say "Mansfield 82" in the early 2010s, as does the new sign installed in fall 2017.  12 miles is a lot to be off by; is the difference on that particular one due to the reroutings as the dual carriageway was completed (OH 235 to US 23 in 2007; US 23 to Ontario in 2004)?  The new road naturally runs a little longer with smoother curves and no hard corners, but 12 more miles seems high. 
Mileages along the 2007-opened stretch may be off by using the older, shorter-distance routing of the 2-lane road--but those were outdated already as the 2007-opened stretch was the last "new" stretch on the way to Mansfield from Fort Wayne.

amroad17

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 19, 2022, 07:47:13 PM

It was interesting how the 1999-installed button copy sign on US 30 EB just after the Beaverdam exit said "Mansfield 70" and was patched to say "Mansfield 82" in the early 2010s, as does the new sign installed in fall 2017.  12 miles is a lot to be off by; is the difference on that particular one due to the reroutings as the dual carriageway was completed (OH 235 to US 23 in 2007; US 23 to Ontario in 2004)?  The new road naturally runs a little longer with smoother curves and no hard corners, but 12 more miles seems high. 
Mileages along the 2007-opened stretch may be off by using the older, shorter-distance routing of the 2-lane road--but those were outdated already as the 2007-opened stretch was the last "new" stretch on the way to Mansfield from Fort Wayne.
The patch of Mansfield 82 is actually the correct mileage.  Before the section of US 30 was opened between OH 235 and CR 330 west of Upper Sandusky, the mileage sign at the old stoplight at OH 235 and old US 30 had Mansfield at 66 miles, then just east of the old US 68/US 30 interchange in Williamstown (which is an at-grade intersection now), nine miles from OH 235, a mileage sign was posted with Upper Sandusky 19/Mansfield 61.  That sign was probably more accurate with the way US 30 used to be routed instead of on the expressway between Upper Sandusky and Ontario.  Now, based on the way US 30 is routed and using GoogleMaps Directions, Mansfield is right around 66 miles from the US 68/US 30 interchange.

It almost seems as if some of the DOT's "guess" at mileages between two points.  Admittedly, Ohio DOT, when doing sign replacements, have corrected mileages--even if off by only one mile (examples: I-75 NB north of Exit 64, Toledo used to list 137-now listed at 138; I-75 SB south of Exit 110, the mileage sign used to be posted as Sidney 18/Cincinnati 109-now posted as Sidney 19/Dayton 56).  Of course, the opposite instance has occurred with Xenia along US 35 WB.  The mileage was correct on the mileage sign west of Palmer Road (26 miles).  When the replacement Clearview sign was erected, Xenia had (has) a mileage of 22 because whomever designed the sign had based the mileage off the wrong posted number west of the OH 753 interchange, showing 27 miles for Xenia when it should be 31.  However, the Dayton number did change from 47 to 49 on that last sign mentioned.

PurdueBill

Quote from: amroad17 on December 20, 2022, 12:29:00 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on December 19, 2022, 07:47:13 PM

The patch of Mansfield 82 is actually the correct mileage.  Before the section of US 30 was opened between OH 235 and CR 330 west of Upper Sandusky, the mileage sign at the old stoplight at OH 235 and old US 30 had Mansfield at 66 miles, then just east of the old US 68/US 30 interchange in Williamstown (which is an at-grade intersection now), nine miles from OH 235, a mileage sign was posted with Upper Sandusky 19/Mansfield 61.  That sign was probably more accurate with the way US 30 used to be routed instead of on the expressway between Upper Sandusky and Ontario.  Now, based on the way US 30 is routed and using GoogleMaps Directions, Mansfield is right around 66 miles from the US 68/US 30 interchange.

It almost seems as if some of the DOT's "guess" at mileages between two points.  Admittedly, Ohio DOT, when doing sign replacements, have corrected mileages--even if off by only one mile (examples: I-75 NB north of Exit 64, Toledo used to list 137-now listed at 138; I-75 SB south of Exit 110, the mileage sign used to be posted as Sidney 18/Cincinnati 109-now posted as Sidney 19/Dayton 56).  Of course, the opposite instance has occurred with Xenia along US 35 WB.  The mileage was correct on the mileage sign west of Palmer Road (26 miles).  When the replacement Clearview sign was erected, Xenia had (has) a mileage of 22 because whomever designed the sign had based the mileage off the wrong posted number west of the OH 753 interchange, showing 27 miles for Xenia when it should be 31.  However, the Dayton number did change from 47 to 49 on that last sign mentioned.

Some others have changed over the years on US 30 from Delphos westward as they changed out button copy signs back around 2006 and then have since changed them out again.  As they have rerouted in parts as the dual carriageways opened, it makes sense for them to adjust over time. 
The "Mansfield 6" sign less than half a mile before the "Mansfield CORP LIMIT" is jarring if you don't consider that the mileage on signs is not to the town line.

amroad17

^ Usually, Ohio signs their cities to their downtown areas.  For example, on I-75 SB the first Cincinnati CORP LIMIT sign is just south of the Galbraith Rd. overpass at the 11 mile marker.  However, the mileage for Cincinnati has always been posted to the downtown area.  The last mileage sign for Cincinnati on I-75 SB is just north of the Monroe rest area at mm 28, posted at 28 miles.

This is different than New York State which usually posts the mileage to the city or village line.  In this instance,  the southern city line for Syracuse is around the 81 mm, just south of the I-81/I-481 interchange.  Syracuse has been posted along I-81 NB as to that point, even though the downtown area is another three miles away (mm 84).

GCrites

But then you have to change the signs when the city annexes.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: GCrites80s on December 21, 2022, 07:15:26 PM
Not really an issue in the Northeast where cities can't just annex willy nilly the way they can in the rest of the country.  Basically every municipal boundary north and east of Pennsylvania is pretty much locked in place.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 22, 2022, 10:09:02 AM
Quote from: GCrites80s on December 21, 2022, 07:15:26 PM
Not really an issue in the Northeast where cities can't just annex willy nilly the way they can in the rest of the country.  Basically every municipal boundary north and east of Pennsylvania is pretty much locked in place.

But this is a thread about Ohio, and I'm hosting a roadmeet in the city most famous (or notorious) for annexing land to expand its footprint, so now its the largest city, in OHIO, for land and population.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/projects/projects/91710?fbclid=IwAR3BLEBBkBgWSBEtw8pSM1R6QBa8KEXGS1stc5pOtksvZvyh7ER6L4TWTao

Another major project to start this summer in the Akron area, and it's a five-year bridge replacement project on SR 8...

74/171FAN

Well at least you will still be able to clinch OH 8 without any issues unlike the other Akron projects on I-76 and I-77.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

thenetwork

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 14, 2023, 05:55:54 AM
Well at least you will still be able to clinch OH 8 without any issues unlike the other Akron projects on I-76 and I-77.

I think the only thing *left* in Akron to rebuild is I-277 and the short freeway segment of US-224 east of I-77...oh yes, and SR-8 NORTH of the bridge project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.