News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

American Maps (ADC, Arrow, Hagstom) out of business? (Please, no....)

Started by Michael in Philly, September 18, 2010, 10:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on September 19, 2010, 12:56:14 PM
Say it ain't so, I've got several years of ADC maps, and while they're certainly not perfect, they sure blow away Universal Crap...

For the Midwest, American Maps didn't even register on the radar.  Universal's pretty good for much of the Midwest and Michigan (where they're based) in particular.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Brandon on September 20, 2010, 03:13:57 PM
Say it ain't so, I've got several years of ADC maps, and while they're certainly not perfect, they sure blow away Universal Crap...

For the Midwest, American Maps didn't even register on the radar.  Universal's pretty good for much of the Midwest and Michigan (where they're based) in particular.

I have a 2008 American Maps Seven-County Atlas of Chicagoland (or something to that effect - I'm at work, albeit obviously not working, so can't check now).  Maybe it's sold under a different label in that area?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Alex

The original Universal went bankrupt and was purchased by the aforementioned PA company in 2007. All operations in Michigan were shifted to DeLand, Florida by mid-2008.

Brandon

Quote from: Michael in Philly on September 20, 2010, 04:24:26 PM

I have a 2008 American Maps Seven-County Atlas of Chicagoland (or something to that effect - I'm at work, albeit obviously not working, so can't check now).  Maybe it's sold under a different label in that area?

I've seen that, but the RMcN was so much better.  Where the American Maps splits it by county, the RMcN is just a grid across the region.  Much easier to use while finding a place near a county line, IMHO.

Quote from: AARoads on September 20, 2010, 04:28:02 PM

The original Universal went bankrupt and was purchased by the aforementioned PA company in 2007. All operations in Michigan were shifted to DeLand, Florida by mid-2008.

Did not know that.  Changes things a bit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Bickendan

Quote from: Brandon on September 21, 2010, 10:12:43 AM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on September 20, 2010, 04:24:26 PM

I've seen that, but the RMcN was so much better.  Where the American Maps splits it by county, the RMcN is just a grid across the region.  Much easier to use while finding a place near a county line, IMHO.
I could be wrong, but I think that's one of the things RMN adopted when they bought Thomas Bros, and it helped improve RMN's quality when they switched from the green-freeways dreck to the blue-freeways-yellow-offramps -- which still is 'loud'.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.