AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Two new Vladivostok Bridges  (Read 6224 times)

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
Two new Vladivostok Bridges
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »

Was reading an article on Reuters about Vladivostok because a picture of a cable stayed bridge caught my eye.

The first bridge mentioned is the Zolotoi Rog bridge across Golden Horn bay that opened August 11, 2012.
Found two photo suites of the cabled stayed bridge at http://englishrussia.com/2012/04/16/bridge-over-zolotoy-rog-bay-locked-up/ and http://englishrussia.com/2012/05/07/bridge-over-zolotoy-rog-bay-part-ii/

The second is a $1 billion bridge billed as the largest cable stayed bridge in the world. This will link Vladivostok with Russky Island to the south. Construction of it is visible on Google Earth and a photo suite is posted at http://englishrussia.com/2012/03/19/on-top-of-the-bridge-to-russky-island-in-vladivostok/

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
Re: Two new Vladivostok Bridges
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:18:43 PM »

A fairly recent craze in thrillseeking for young Russians has been has been climbing extremely tall things and recording it on video.  One variant is extreme bridgegeeking on the Russky Island Vladivostok bridge:

tchafe1978

• Last Login: Today at 11:40:22 PM
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »

That video is nucking futs. I'm not normally afraid of heights, but just watching that makes me dizzy!

nexus73

• Last Login: Today at 09:05:54 AM
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »

The relatively poor Russians can build not one but two major bridges for their biggest city on the Pacific.  In the meantime PDX, Vancouver, Oregon and Washington can't get it done for one new bridge on I-5, the major artery for the Pacific states.

There was a time when we beat the Russians to the moon.  Now we can't even beat them going across the water...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 08:08:03 PM
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »

The relatively poor Russians can build not one but two major bridges for their biggest city on the Pacific.  In the meantime PDX, Vancouver, Oregon and Washington can't get it done for one new bridge on I-5, the major artery for the Pacific states.

There was a time when we beat the Russians to the moon.  Now we can't even beat them going across the water...LOL!

Rick

I think it might be only some practice and training for some bigger bridge (or tunnel) projects like a Bering Strait crossing. ;)

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:54:07 AM »

As I understand it, the I-5 Columbia River Crossing is tied-up in the anti-auto/anti-highway politics of Portland, and Portland Metro and the transit agency there, Tri-Met, want desperately to extend the Tri-Met light rail system across to Clark County, Washington (presumably so Washington taxpayers get to fund some of Tri-Met's substantial operating deficits).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:08:19 AM »

I swear, this guy finds a way to turn every thread into an anti-transit rant.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 06:22:12 AM »

I swear, this guy finds a way to turn every thread into an anti-transit rant.

Being critical of the Tri-Met light rail system is not "anti-transit".  Buses do a fine job of providing transit in a medium-sized metro area such as that.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.