Regional Boards > Southeast

From the north along I-95 to Tampa Bay/ SW Florida

<< < (2/5) > >>

02 Park Ave:
Coming north from Sarasota, I take I-75 and exit up past Ocala.  I then take county roads and go through Middleburg.  After that I take the First Coast Expressway, Jacksonville's outer by-pass, up to I-10 and continue northward on I-295 and I-95.

I don't know if this route is longer timewise or in distance.  But, it is a pleasant drive with very light traffic and avoids the hassles that are Orlando and US-301.

ran4sh:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on May 12, 2021, 09:19:50 AM ---
If we drive the whole way and we aren't going to stop near Jacksonville, I sometimes head across to I-75 further north. A few years ago Mapmikey suggested using Georgia's Fall Line Expressway from Augusta to Macon. It was a good route (and it is substantially more complete now than it was then), so I've been thinking about going that way again. We connect to Augusta via either I-77 or I-95 to I-20.

--- End quote ---

This is getting off topic but IMO I wouldn't use the Fall Line "freeway" to go from Augusta to Macon. Instead I would use I-20 leaving Augusta to GA 44 (exit 130, Greensboro), then take GA 44 to US 129 to Macon.

NJRoadfan:
I was stuck in Davenport for a month, and yes, traffic really really sucks in the Orlando area. Thing is the part of I-4 that is clogged was my destination. Best I could do is take 417 to bypass most of the mess. Taking 301 would have done little good. I would have taken the Turnpike down to 429....which leads one onto I-4 Hell. The only option is to get off at Sinclair Rd., but CR-545/Old Lake Wilson Rd. is perpetually clogged because there is literally no alternative north-south route thru the area.

Its likely impossible, but extending World Dr. south would help relieve some of the traffic. Operational improvements on I-4 are needed too. A 4th lane from US-27 to FL-417 and an aux lane between Exit 58 and 60 are desperately needed. Only the latter is planned. What civil engineer thought it was a bright idea to dump two freeway's worth of traffic on I-4 there?

Mileage Mike:
On the note of I-4 what's the deal with it only being 6 lanes between Orlando and Tampa? Just spent a few months in the area and can probably count on 1 hand the number of days I could drive on I-4 without a stoppage at some point. Kind of shocking to see the freeway that connects two very large metros is only a puny six lanes. Does Florida have any plans to widen it in the near future?

RoadPelican:

--- Quote from: Mileage Mike on May 12, 2021, 07:50:55 PM ---On the note of I-4 what's the deal with it only being 6 lanes between Orlando and Tampa? Just spent a few months in the area and can probably count on 1 hand the number of days I could drive on I-4 without a stoppage at some point. Kind of shocking to see the freeway that connects two very large metros is only a puny six lanes. Does Florida have any plans to widen it in the near future?

--- End quote ---

The only plans I have heard for I-4 is an extension of the current Orlando (I-4 Ultimate) project adding 4 toll lanes in the median from US 27 in Davenport to just over the Seminole/Volusia County Line.  Rapid population growth in central Florida is to blame.  Just 20 years ago, most of I-4 (outside of downtown Orlando/Disney area) was only 2 lanes each way!!!  I-4 was just widened to 6 lanes from Tampa to Orlando in the early 2000's, and Sanford to Daytona was just wrapped up about 5 years ago!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version