News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95 in South Carolina questions

Started by D-Dey65, June 24, 2010, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

I've got some questions about Interstate 95 in South Carolina;

Just south of the norther terminus of the I-95/US 17 multiplex, there seems to be an old alignment near the Tullifilly(cs) River. It's just a frontage road, but it appears to be divided there for some reason. What's the story with this section?

Also, what can any of you tell me about the Pine Needles Road widening project in Florence that goes over I-95?

And why the hell were the Pee Dee Rest Areas closed?

If I have any other questions, I'll try to remember to ask them here.

Mapmikey

I can answer the first question

you were looking at the old US 17alignment which was widened in the 50's

I no longer live in SC so I can't address the other questions

Mapmikey
on road in salt lake city

Alex

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 24, 2010, 11:55:38 AM
I've got some questions about Interstate 95 in South Carolina;

Just south of the norther terminus of the I-95/US 17 multiplex, there seems to be an old alignment near the Tullifilly(cs) River. It's just a frontage road, but it appears to be divided there for some reason. What's the story with this section?

You can drive former U.S. 17 along the entire length of Interstate 95 along the southbound side. The trick is knowing where to turn at the trumpet interchange where the two split at the north end. I have done this numerous times to avoid traffic jams related to holiday travel.

There is a brief four-lane section, but a portion of it is abandoned.

D-Dey65

Here they are. The former Pee Dee Rest Area(the northbound one, that is), taken on June 7, 2010:

Dammit! Why did the have to close?!

D-Dey65

New problem;
Between the Northbound Welcome Center and Exit 5, the deceleration and accelaration lanes are too short. I'd suggest merging them together, but that would create a weaving hazard. Perhaps some new ramps in the area would be a good idea.

Any other suggestions?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.