News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: ixnay on December 22, 2015, 07:51:00 PM
Why am I thinking that "Control City" sounds like the setting for some comic book superhero property?

ixnay

I think it's where the secret fortress is they run the Turnpike from.

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 22, 2015, 08:48:34 PM
Why am I thinking that "Control City" sounds like the setting for some comic book superhero property?

ixnay

The secret fortress is actually nestled between the Turnpike and Parkway. ;)

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on December 22, 2015, 10:44:31 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 22, 2015, 08:48:34 PM

ixnay

The secret fortress is actually nestled between the Turnpike and Parkway. ;)

I wasn't talking about *just* the NJTA roads.  I was referring to highways in general (and limited access highways in particular).

ixnay

PHLBOS

Not sure if this has yet been mentioned elsewhere in this forum but there is now (at least as of last night) a Clearview BGS along the westbound NJ-PA Turnpike Connector (Future I-95 southbound).  It's a 3-mile advance notice for Exit 358 (US 13) interchange and was erected in anticipation of the upcoming AET conversion just west of the bridge.  Unfortunately, I was not able to get a photo of such.

All lettering and numerals (except the US 13) shield are in Clearview.   This BGS even looks odd by PTC standards because it seems to be smaller and uses narrower fonts compared to other PTC signage. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 29, 2015, 10:00:47 AM
Not sure if this has yet been mentioned elsewhere in this forum but there is now (at least as of last night) a Clearview BGS along the westbound NJ-PA Turnpike Connector (Future I-95 southbound).  It's a 3-mile advance notice for Exit 358 (US 13) interchange and was erected in anticipation of the upcoming AET conversion just west of the bridge.  Unfortunately, I was not able to get a photo of such.

All lettering and numerals (except the US 13) shield are in Clearview.   This BGS even looks odd by PTC standards because it seems to be smaller and uses narrower fonts compared to other PTC signage. 

Is this sign located in NJ or PA?

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2015, 10:20:58 AM

NJ, just west of the US 130 (Burlington/Bordentown/Florence) interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 29, 2015, 10:22:37 AM

I can tell you the NJTA would not be putting up anything Clearview. I'm a little surprised they'd even let another agency put up Clearview on their property.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on December 29, 2015, 10:29:16 AM

I can tell you the NJTA would not be putting up anything Clearview. I'm a little surprised they'd even let another agency put up Clearview on their property.
I figured as such but since this BGS is for an interchange outside of the NJTPA's jurisdiction and not located along the mainline Turnpike (& beyond the ticketed system); maybe they just didn't care.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 29, 2015, 10:34:18 AM
Quote from: Alps on December 29, 2015, 10:29:16 AM

I figured as such but since this BGS is for an interchange outside of the NJTPA's jurisdiction and not located along the mainline Turnpike (& beyond the ticketed system); maybe they just didn't care.

If it's on their property, usually they care a lot.  The toll barrier is just a point along the Turnpike; they certainly just don't say "Oh well, let it go to crap beyond that point".  Same thing with all their interchanges - the ramp system is well within their jurisdiction, even though it's beyond the toll plaza.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2015, 10:54:56 AMIf it's on their property, usually they care a lot.
Key word in your quote; usually

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2015, 10:54:56 AMThe toll barrier is just a point along the Turnpike; they certainly just don't say "Oh well, let it go to crap beyond that point".
Are there any other signs located within the NJTP system for interchanges situated outside their system and jurisdiction? 

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2015, 10:54:56 AMSame thing with all their interchanges - the ramp system is well within their jurisdiction, even though it's beyond the toll plaza.
No argument here but the BGS in question (and there was never an older version of such) is for an interchange located in another state and jurisdiction.

My earlier didn't care remark was both speculative and borderline facetious.  Nonetheless, the BGS is there (I was driving in the left lane when I saw it last night and couldn't exactly pull over to get a pic of it) and it sadly represents the first (and hopefully last) Clearview sign located in the NJ Turnpike system.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

The I-87 Major Deegan Expressway has a sign located before the Express/Local Split near I-80, and that is outside NJ and the Turnpike.  I do not know if it counts as it does not refer to the interchange proper, just to inform motorists (except Trucks) to use the lower level to avoid weaving on the Alexander Hamilton Bridge.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on December 29, 2015, 12:51:42 PM
The I-87 Major Deegan Expressway has a sign located before the Express/Local Split near I-80, and that is outside NJ and the Turnpike.  I do not know if it counts as it does not refer to the interchange proper, just to inform motorists (except Trucks) to use the lower level to avoid weaving on the Alexander Hamilton Bridge.

You lost me.  All of 87 is "before" the express/local split of a highway it doesn't connect to.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 29, 2015, 11:31:34 AM

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2015, 10:54:56 AMThe toll barrier is just a point along the Turnpike; they certainly just don't say "Oh well, let it go to crap beyond that point".
Are there any other signs located within the NJTP system for interchanges situated outside their system and jurisdiction? 

I believe there's a VMS sign with PA Turnpike Traffic Times on the NJ/PA Connector, just before the bridge. (Granted, not a BGS though)

And maybe this: https://goo.gl/maps/3xjqgijgUh52  No, not the Exit sign.  The itty-bitty "Please NO ENGINE BREAKING Thank You" sign.   :bigass:

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2015, 12:59:35 PM
"Please NO ENGINE BREAKING Thank You"
Oh. Who would do such a thing?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 29, 2015, 12:56:59 PM

You lost me.  All of 87 is "before" the express/local split of a highway it doesn't connect to.
No, I believe the topic is does the NJT sign out of state interchanges on its roadway.  I brought up that because I-87 does not exit off of the NJ Turnpike in New Jersey.

BTW NE 2 you can say anything now you want as I will not see it.  Thanks to you buddy dzl in Chicago, I found the ignore button, and since I have been using that my life has gotten ten times better here on this forum.

Sheryl Crowe

Flyer78

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2015, 12:59:35 PM

I believe there's a VMS sign with PA Turnpike Traffic Times on the NJ/PA Connector, just before the bridge. (Granted, not a BGS though)

There is. Full color, mounted over right shoulder. The NJTPK helpfully erected one of their VMS/VSS signs just in front of it as well.

akotchi

Quote from: roadman65 on December 30, 2015, 10:47:06 AM

No, I believe the topic is does the NJT sign out of state interchanges on its roadway.  I brought up that because I-87 does not exit off of the NJ Turnpike in New Jersey.

BTW NE 2 you can say anything now you want as I will not see it.  Thanks to you buddy dzl in Chicago, I found the ignore button, and since I have been using that my life has gotten ten times better here on this forum.
I seem to think that the sign you refer to dates back to when NJDOT still owned this section of I-95, pre-1992.  The one I see on StreetView (at Exit 68 NB Local) does not look like it has been replaced since then.  There is another one past the I-80 interchange, just before Jones road overpass, that also looks original (not replaced).
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

bzakharin

Here is a sign on NJTA property for Exit 1 off of I-295: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6791487,-75.4834749,3a,75y,274.06h,70.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLH_8exfLv6Jv0HLlQl99LQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

Also, the other day I saw a BGS-style message on an NJTP VMS listing distance and travel time to US 13 in Delaware (with shield and "Wilmington" as control city)

NJRoadfan

Quote from: bzakharin on December 30, 2015, 02:00:41 PM
Also, the other day I saw a BGS-style message on an NJTP VMS listing distance and travel time to US 13 in Delaware (with shield and "Wilmington" as control city)

Saw that last weekend. I'm guessing they started doing that when the bridge was getting repainted and had regular delays from lane closures.

roadman65

Is the signs for US 1 & 9 still on the NJTA maintained section of NJ 495?  I remember them for a long time informing motorists for the Lincoln Tunnel to KEEP LEFT and for Routes 1 & 9 KEEP RIGHT (and yes they were text for the two US routes with Route instead of US).  I imagine that the texts are gone, but then again the NJ 3 was left on the Exit 17 signs for years as well as the post plaza signs at 16E were as well before they got changed out.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 30, 2015, 03:31:40 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on December 30, 2015, 02:00:41 PM

Saw that last weekend. I'm guessing they started doing that when the bridge was getting repainted and had regular delays from lane closures.

I doubt there's any relation to the bridge painting.

During the day the timed sign shows the time to US 13 in Wilmington.  During the afternoon rush hour, the timed sign shows 2 times:  Wilmington via the NJ Turnpike, and Wilmington via I-295, Exit 4 (meaning, if one were to exit the turnpike at Interchange 4, then take 295 South).

mrsman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 21, 2015, 11:51:41 PM
I think the point that is being missed is that the NJ Turnpike opened up 60 years ago. The level of confusion can be summed up in 3 general questions:

I can tell you, working Exit 1, exactly what people asked about (especially on the Southbound side):

A) Where is I-95; or how many miles to I-95?
B) How far is it to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, Maryland House, Baltimore, and Washington DC (3 Miles, 50 miles, 70 miles, 110 miles).  For some reason, no one ever asked about the Delaware Service Plaza or the Chesapeake Plaza.
C) How far is it to Philadelphia (You passed it a half-hour ago).  Wha?????

Driving South, I don't agree with the Wilmington being a control city.  I think Baltimore would've been a better choice. You don't need Washington DC, because even Delaware and Maryland doesn't sign DC until after Baltimore.  But regardless, you don't need more than 1 control city.

Even if they're not going to Philadelphia, many drivers expect to see Philadelphia along the way from New York to Baltimore.

And the most important thing, related to many of you: No one ever asked what the route number of the NJ Turnpike was.  Some assume it's I-95, especially going south.  But if it was 495, 695, 795, 700, 273, 891, 4 or pi, no one cared.

I agree.  Any problem with confusion can be remedied with a proper use of control cities. 

Southbound Turnpike should have the following control cities from the GWB:

Newark until I-280, Newark Airport/Philadelphia until I-78, Philadelphia until exit 6, Baltimore south of exit 6.  Northbound's control should be New York City all the way from the Del Mem Bridge to I-78.  There is no need to ever sign Wilmington, Trenton, or Camden on the Turnpike.  Newark should not be signed on the northbound turnpike.

Exit 6 should be signed Penn Turnpike / Philadelphia. This should be signed now, not until the 276/95 interchange is completed.  People can take 276 to US 1 into Philadelphia and they don't need the new interchange.

PHLBOS

Quote from: mrsman on December 31, 2015, 07:51:46 AMExit 6 should be signed Penn Turnpike / Philadelphia.
Actually, Philadelphia is already on the new BGS' but it's temporarily masked out.
Quote from: mrsman on December 31, 2015, 07:51:46 AMThis should be signed now, not until the 276/95 interchange is completed.  People can take 276 to US 1 into Philadelphia and they don't need the new interchange.
Interesting thought and if US 1 was a continuous freeway or even a Jersey-type freeway with no traffic signals south of the PA Turnpike to I-76; such could be an option.  But once one crosses into Philadelphia's city limits; US 1 becomes the infamous 12-lane Roosevelt Blvd. that has a reputation of being one of the most dangerous roadways in the nation.  Such is another topic for another thread.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on December 30, 2015, 10:47:06 AM

So 95 in New Jersey has a sign for 87?  Your syntax suggested there is a sign on 87 informing motorists of 80's express/local split.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 31, 2015, 08:51:56 AM
Quote from: mrsman on December 31, 2015, 07:51:46 AMExit 6 should be signed Penn Turnpike / Philadelphia.
Actually, Philadelphia is already on the new BGS' but it's temporarily masked out.
Quote from: mrsman on December 31, 2015, 07:51:46 AMThis should be signed now, not until the 276/95 interchange is completed.  People can take 276 to US 1 into Philadelphia and they don't need the new interchange.
Interesting thought and if US 1 was a continuous freeway or even a Jersey-type freeway with no traffic signals south of the PA Turnpike to I-76; such could be an option.  But once one crosses into Philadelphia's city limits; US 1 becomes the infamous 12-lane Roosevelt Blvd. that has a reputation of being one of the most dangerous roadways in the nation.  Such is another topic for another thread.

Exit 4 is signed for Philadelphia via a supplemental plate.

Besides, I think we've had more than enough posts for what control cities *should* be posted on the NJ Turnpike. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.