News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tappan Zee work started?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Drove the bridge mid-day today and took about a dozen photos.  Not as many as I would've liked as I (also) hit a traffic jam across half the bridge.  Here's a photo from mid-span:

I didn't realize the bridges were built as wide as they are...wide enough to fit 8 narrow lanes just on the westbound span once the eastbound crossovers are complete.

cl94

Waze has been showing miserable traffic on that thing all day, a bit weird because WB normally operated with 3 lanes outside of the PM rush. Probably a bunch of people wanting to see the new bridge (like all of us that drove over to see it).

Bridge is wide enough for 6 12-foot lanes and a bike/ped path on the north side (currently the WB right lane). 2 of those lanes will be shoulders in regular operation, with one shoulder being a bus lane during rush hours. I fully expect lane assignments to work like Newburgh-Beacon, where they'll open a shoulder to traffic if a lane is closed so there is no net reduction in lanes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

_Simon

PHLBOS

Apparently the new span is already becoming a magnet for jumpers. Article

Quote from: First paragraph of articleA man was saved from jumping off the side of the new Tappan Zee Bridge Tuesday afternoon after state police said they received numerous 911 calls from passing motorists.

Side bar & FYI; from what I've been told, the old bridge will remain open to inbound traffic for about 6 to 8 weeks before its moved to the new outbound span.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

^ Doesn't surprise me.  There were already "anti-suicide" signs posted on the new bridge when I drove it...presumably because that side of the bridge will eventually become the bike/ped lane.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on August 30, 2017, 08:47:41 AM
^ Doesn't surprise me.  There were already "anti-suicide" signs posted on the new bridge when I drove it...presumably because that side of the bridge will eventually become the bike/ped lane.

They are generally on the side that will be the bike/ped lane. The right lane heading WB will be bike/ped once the second span opens.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

I see that the Tappan Zee Bridge is being named after Governor Cuomo's father.   I wonder how that is setting with locals.  I am not from NY, but I know that people in the region get accustomed to names that they do not like change and of course using a former politician to name if for that like most politicians have enemies too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Snappyjack

It's not settling well with locals at all. Personally speaking though, more focus should be brought upon the achievement at hand rather than the name. Just my personal opinion. I think everyone should be happy there's a new bridge at all. It could be called the Verizon Wireless Bridge for all I care.. I'm just glad the old one is finally going away.

empirestate

It seems to be going over with locals about as well as the naming of the old bridge for Malcolm Wilson did: that is, nobody gives a shit because we will just call it the Tappan Zee Bridge.

PHLBOS

Quote from: empirestate on August 31, 2017, 01:16:59 PM
It seems to be going over with locals about as well as the naming of the old bridge for Malcolm Wilson did: that is, nobody gives a shit because we will just call it the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Slight difference this time around.  Whereas the Gov. Malcom Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge signs only exist at the bridge bases/entrances; the new bridge's official name will not only just contain Gov. Mario Cuomo in it but (here's the kicker) all signs that currently read Tappan Zee Bridge will ultimately be revised to show the new name.  Those sign changes will mean that GPS & mapping systems will call/refer to the new bridge by its given name.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 31, 2017, 01:23:44 PM
Slight difference this time around.  Whereas the Gov. Malcom Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge signs only exist at the bridge bases/entrances; the new bridge's official name will not only just contain Gov. Mario Cuomo in it but (here's the kicker) all signs that currently read Tappan Zee Bridge will ultimately be revised to show the new name.  Those sign changes will mean that GPS & mapping systems will call/refer to the new bridge by its given name.
Hopefully signs will be abbreviated to just "Cuomo bridge"?

vdeane

Yeah, that's the big issue.  The previous renaming was just prepending Malcolm Wilson's name to the existing Tappan Zee name.  This renaming is complete includes the outright deletion of "Tappan Zee" from the name.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on August 31, 2017, 01:45:55 PM
Yeah, that's the big issue.  The previous renaming was just prepending Malcolm Wilson's name to the existing Tappan Zee name.  This renaming is complete includes the outright deletion of "Tappan Zee" from the name.

I don't know whether the general public is aware of that distinction. But even if, and when, they do become aware of it, I suspect it will still be a situation along the lines of the Triborough Bridge, where the name is used regardless of whether it is actually the name.

(Also see Sean Spicer and his "podium"–ever see him actually stand on that thing?) ;-)

kalvado

Quote from: empirestate on August 31, 2017, 03:12:57 PM

I don't know whether the general public is aware of that distinction. But even if, and when, they do become aware of it, I suspect it will still be a situation along the lines of the Triborough Bridge, where the name is used regardless of whether it is actually the name.

(Also see Sean Spicer and his "podium"–ever see him actually stand on that thing?) ;-)
I wouldn't put it past Cuomo II to push media so they use "proper" name....

empirestate

Quote from: kalvado on August 31, 2017, 03:17:44 PM

Maybe, but the question was how this is settling with the locals, and I don't think the locals are thinking ahead to that. Right now, the feeling among locals–i.e., me–is that we'll just call it the Tappan Zee Bridge, so it doesn't matter what politician's name is appended to it. (And the fact that it might replace the name rather than be appended to it isn't being considered in forming that opinion.)

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 31, 2017, 01:23:44 PM
If you are blindly using a GPS does it matter? It will say "Take the exit toward I-87 / I-287 Cuomo Bridge". My GPS often omits directional indicators for some roads, but even so, you look up at the signs, find the one that matches what the GPS said, and take the exit. Or you don't even do that, you just exit when it says "exit now". If you're just using your app to look up directions ahead of time, all you'll see is "I-87/287", which is really all you need.

kalvado

Quote from: empirestate on August 31, 2017, 03:28:34 PM

Maybe, but the question was how this is settling with the locals, and I don't think the locals are thinking ahead to that. Right now, the feeling among locals–i.e., me–is that we'll just call it the Tappan Zee Bridge, so it doesn't matter what politician's name is appended to it. (And the fact that it might replace the name rather than be appended to it isn't being considered in forming that opinion.)

You can call it whatever you want -   but when people around you no longer understand what you mean, signs call it Cuomo bridge, your EZpass statement contains "CBR - Gov Cuomo Br" line...  And I suspect this is going to happen within a few years at most. "Pepsi Arena" still rings the bell - but when was last time you actually heard that?

empirestate

Quote from: kalvado on August 31, 2017, 03:44:10 PM

You can call it whatever you want -   but when people around you no longer understand what you mean, signs call it Cuomo bridge, your EZpass statement contains "CBR - Gov Cuomo Br" line...  And I suspect this is going to happen within a few years at most. "Pepsi Arena" still rings the bell - but when was last time you actually heard that?

But that's in the future. Us locals deciding how it sits with us is based on the present. In other words, we don't care right now whether the bridge is renamed, because we (in the present) have no intention of using that name. If, in the future, the Cuomo name has become commonplace, then the answer to "how is it sitting with the locals" may change. Make sense?

kefkafloyd

I drove through the Tappan Zee two weeks before the new bridge was opened, and I checked my EZPass statement out of curiosity before the new bridge opened, and it had already posted a day after I traveled as the Cuomo bridge.

Quote"Pepsi Arena" still rings the bell - but when was last time you actually heard that?

It's still the Knick to me.

PHLBOS

Quote from: kefkafloyd on August 31, 2017, 11:23:00 PM
I drove through the Tappan Zee two weeks before the new bridge was opened, and I checked my EZPass statement out of curiosity before the new bridge opened, and it had already posted a day after I traveled as the Cuomo bridge.
That's weird, especially since tolls are only charged for inbound travel that's still using the old bridge.  Inbound traffic won't be shifting over to the new outbound span for another 6-8 weeks.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

The Nature Boy

Quote from: empirestate on August 31, 2017, 07:42:59 PM
Quote from: kalvado on August 31, 2017, 03:44:10 PM

But that's in the future. Us locals deciding how it sits with us is based on the present. In other words, we don't care right now whether the bridge is renamed, because we (in the present) have no intention of using that name. If, in the future, the Cuomo name has become commonplace, then the answer to "how is it sitting with the locals" may change. Make sense?

And sometimes people never adjust to the "new" name.

See: Boston and I-95/Rt. 128.

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 01, 2017, 09:14:58 AM
Quote from: kefkafloyd on August 31, 2017, 11:23:00 PM
That's weird, especially since tolls are only charged for inbound travel that's still using the old bridge.  Inbound traffic won't be shifting over to the new outbound span for another 6-8 weeks.
You don't sound proficient in kissing asses...

roadman65

You have people in the Tampa Area who still call the Amela Arena as the Ice Palace which is two or three names ago.

I am sure many call the PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ are probably still calling it the Garden State Arts Center.

You can't change people like in MA with I-95 now replacing MA 128 and locals refusing to go along with the change. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: kalvado on September 01, 2017, 10:31:26 AM
Was that comment really necessary?  Yes, I'm aware of the kiss-up/suck-up factor thank you very much but the NYSTA could have at least waited until the toll-paying inbound traffic starts to use the new span.  The (old) Tappan Zee Bridge still is open to (inbound) traffic.

Quote from: roadman65 on September 01, 2017, 01:00:00 PMYou can't change people like in MA with I-95 now replacing MA 128 and locals refusing to go along with the change.
In that particular case, I-95 has been on most of 128 for 42 years; but the state really didn't start to consistently emphasizing nor phase out the 128 shields on the guidance signs until the early 90s (per Federal mandate)... several years after the Peabody I-95/MA 128 interchange was completed.

Personal take: had Gov. Andrew Cuomo chose to name the new bridge after a non-political figure (he could have named it after NY Yankees player Mickey Mantle); I don't think there would be as much outrage nor discontent about it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 01, 2017, 02:49:13 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 01, 2017, 10:31:26 AM
Was that comment really necessary?  Yes, I'm aware of the kiss-up/suck-up factor thank you very much but the NYSTA could have at least waited until the toll-paying inbound traffic starts to use the new span.  The (old) Tappan Zee Bridge still is open to (inbound) traffic.
I am sorry I am deviating into politics here, but this has to do with management practices of our dear governor Cuomo II.
Andrew Cuomo is a boy from a good family:  farther-  Cuomo I - former governor of NYS;   Andrew was married to  RFK's daughter - and seems to be a member of the clan even after divorce. As such, Andrew Cuomo seems to have hard time understanding word "no". Given his presidential ambitions, it may be more than a local issue. I don't know what was the role of then-AG in renaming RFK bridge, though, so having Cuomo bridge and RFK bridge not far from Washington bridge and Lincoln tunnel may be just a coincidence
There were more than a few situations when he pushed for things no matter what, and let unwashed masses deal with that later. "Cuomo highway signs" being another example of Thruway - and highway - related "no matter what", looks like FHWA gave up on enforcing  federal regulations in NYS.
With that, I see "Cuomo bridge" naming - and actively using new name - as yet another way to keep reminding people about the great deeds of our dear leader.  And that is why I expect any memory of Tappan Zee to be carefully suppressed by PR people. Using new name right away is just a logical step - a small step towards White House. And if you think Trump is the worst thing which can happen in White House - think again..

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.