News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormwatch7721

When I went to The Seminole Towne Center Mall back on June 9th, There is construction(sp?) going on at SR 46 at I-4. Can anybody tell me what kind of project it is?

NE2

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on June 14, 2012, 11:54:56 AM
When I went to The Seminole Towne Center Mall back on June 9th, There is construction(sp?) going on at SR 46 at I-4. Can anybody tell me what kind of project it is?

Adding a loop from 46 west to 4 west and extending the C/D road.
http://www.cflroads.com/Project/Details/101/407573-1_I-4_Interchange_at_SR_46
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.81006&lon=-81.33897&zoom=17&layers=M
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

stormwatch7721

Oh okay, but looks like there will be no way to get to SR 46 from I-4 west when it's completed.

NE2

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on June 14, 2012, 09:42:30 PM
Oh okay, but looks like there will be no way to get to SR 46 from I-4 west when it's completed.

Of course there will - it'll be a standard 5-ramp parclo.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

I ran a bunch of errands over last weekend, and found out that this one:

...was replaced by a conventional green sign.

And another button copy sign is missing due to construction on Glades Road (SR 808) at I-95...

rickmastfan67

FL-3 has now received "END" and "BEGIN" shields where the route enters the Kennedy Space Center property.  Spotted this while playing around in StreetView tonight.

1995hoo

Quote from: mefailenglish on May 28, 2012, 09:43:45 AM
The variable speed limit zone on US 27 (FL 25) in Broward County:

(images omitted from quote)

The variable speed limit zone ends beyond Griffin Rd.

We drove through that variable speed limit zone several times last week when visiting relatives–my brother-in-law lives in Pembroke Pines north of Pines Boulevard and we were staying at a timeshare exchange in Weston, so the route we used most often involved Sheridan Street to US-27 north to Griffin, then east to Bonaventure and north to the condo. (We did go all the way down to Pines Boulevard one time, but it took longer and we didn't repeat it.) The variable speed limit signs were set at 50 mph every time we went through. I found myself wondering what criteria they use to set the speed limit on there. We didn't go through during bad weather, although we did pass through at night. Also, why such a short stretch of variable speed limits? I assume perhaps it's just because that one stretch has a few intersections and then to the north and south there's basically nothing along that road?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 02, 2012, 09:18:51 AM
Also, why such a short stretch of variable speed limits? I assume perhaps it's just because that one stretch has a few intersections and then to the north and south there's basically nothing along that road?

I think the main reason is because of West Broward High School, in which traffic (both vehicular and pedestrian) is a non-issue until that point, and can suddenly become congested. That high school is only about four years old, so perhaps it gets the "latest toys", but it really is the only one in Broward County near anything considered rural.

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on July 02, 2012, 10:53:52 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 02, 2012, 09:18:51 AM
Also, why such a short stretch of variable speed limits? I assume perhaps it's just because that one stretch has a few intersections and then to the north and south there's basically nothing along that road?

I think the main reason is because of West Broward High School, in which traffic (both vehicular and pedestrian) is a non-issue until that point, and can suddenly become congested. That high school is only about four years old, so perhaps it gets the "latest toys", but it really is the only one in Broward County near anything considered rural.

That makes sense, and indeed I noticed last Monday or Tuesday that the "School 15 mph" light was flashing at one point for some reason (maybe summer school, although there was no activity apparent).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Does anyone know why FDOT removed all the overhead gantries at the FL A1A and FL 520 intersection that were once there back in the early 80's?  I remember back in 83 that there was four overhead gantries on FL A1A (2 for north and 2 for south) and two on FL 520, and then after moving to Florida in 1990, I noticed that they were all gone then.

I know its been quite a while and some of you might of not been born yet, but it seems very strange unless the City of Cocoa Beach did not like it and forced FDOT to remove them all.  They could easily do it by passing an ordinance just like many places  have that will not allow large business signs anymore or even signs that exceed certain heights.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

florida

Another quarterly report for additions/deletions came out.

-SR 329 deleted from Depot Ave to University Ave [to Alachua County, 0.516 miles, on 4/25]

-SR 293 added on new alignment from the Toll Plaza to Range Road [2.757 miles, added 5/22]

-SR 707 (in Martin County) deleted from US 1 @ MP 20.681 to Cardinal Ave/Savannah Rd [from State to City, 1.760 miles, on 6/6]
So many roads...so little time.

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on July 04, 2012, 10:51:28 AM
Does anyone know why FDOT removed all the overhead gantries at the FL A1A and FL 520 intersection that were once there back in the early 80's?  I remember back in 83 that there was four overhead gantries on FL A1A (2 for north and 2 for south) and two on FL 520, and then after moving to Florida in 1990, I noticed that they were all gone then.

I know its been quite a while and some of you might of not been born yet, but it seems very strange unless the City of Cocoa Beach did not like it and forced FDOT to remove them all.  They could easily do it by passing an ordinance just like many places  have that will not allow large business signs anymore or even signs that exceed certain heights.

I'd be very surprised if Cocoa Beach had the authority to regulate FDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: realjd on July 06, 2012, 09:01:36 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 04, 2012, 10:51:28 AM

I'd be very surprised if Cocoa Beach had the authority to regulate FDOT.
You be a bit suprised what small cities can do.  If they have the right persuasion with somebody in Tallahassee it can be done or if the community gets too involved and puts pressure in the right places.   
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Fairly new tip; During the winter of 2011-2012, Sumter County started putting CR 476 "W" signs at some locations. These two are at the north end of Sumter CR 476B, and were taken in March 2012.

Sorry, I can't make them smaller, and I don't have any "CR 476E" signs yet.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 28, 2012, 10:13:05 AM
Fairly new tip; During the winter of 2011-2012, Sumter County started putting CR 476 "W" signs at some locations. These two are at the north end of Sumter CR 476B, and were taken in March 2012.

Sorry, I can't make them smaller, and I don't have any "CR 476E" signs yet.
That second one would indicate that they're not using the W and E for directionality. (Millburn, NJ briefly signed the one-way pair carrying CR 527 and 577 as 527W/E and 577W/E, but was told to knock it off by the DOT or the county.) So what gives? If it's a fork in the road, an EB/WB road should be "476N" and "476S".

xcellntbuy

Quote from: formulanone on June 25, 2012, 10:29:09 PM
I ran a bunch of errands over last weekend, and found out that this one:

...was replaced by a conventional green sign.

And another button copy sign is missing due to construction on Glades Road (SR 808) at I-95...

The BGS on Interstate 95 you have illustrated may have been heavily vandalized, even though it is old button copy from the late 80s and 90s when the highway was just six-to-eight lanes.  There is a huge problem in that area of I-95 in Palm Beach County, with defacing of signs, barriers, light poles, etc.

Many signs are scheduled for replacement.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Steve on July 28, 2012, 11:09:29 AM
That second one would indicate that they're not using the W and E for directionality. (Millburn, NJ briefly signed the one-way pair carrying CR 527 and 577 as 527W/E and 577W/E, but was told to knock it off by the DOT or the county.) So what gives? If it's a fork in the road, an EB/WB road should be "476N" and "476S".
The road is split by a merger with Sumter CR 48 in Bushnell, which itself is split by SR 48, which has a merger with US 301.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 28, 2012, 03:26:58 PM
Quote from: Steve on July 28, 2012, 11:09:29 AM
The road is split by a merger with Sumter CR 48 in Bushnell, which itself is split by SR 48, which has a merger with US 301.

Oh, so "W" is the western segment of the route, then CR 48, then "E" is the eastern segment. Has Florida heard of concurrencies?

D-Dey65

Quote from: Steve on July 28, 2012, 03:36:40 PM
Oh, so "W" is the western segment of the route, then CR 48, then "E" is the eastern segment. Has Florida heard of concurrencies?
Sure they have. They just don't always expose them.

formulanone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 28, 2012, 10:13:05 AM

That seems to explain the CR "E-833" sign I spotted about a year ago...this time it's a suffix.

florida

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 28, 2012, 03:45:48 PM
Quote from: Steve on July 28, 2012, 03:36:40 PM
Sure they have. They just don't always expose them.

Yeah, with County Routes it depends on the county.

As for directional signs, Citrus CR 44 is signed as 44W, one reassurance shield for Walton CR 183 is signed as 183S going south from Union (CR 183A, B & CR 81A),  and one section of Clay CR 214 is signed as CR 214E going east from SR 100. I don't recall seeing any others.
So many roads...so little time.

DeaconG

Been a while since I reported on matters I-95 in Brevard County, so here's what's currently going on...

On the north end, the new inner lanes are open in both directions at two places and traffic has been shifted to the inner lanes so the outer lane can be repaved, from the interchange at SR 528 (Beachline) to north of the Port St. John interchange and from SR 406 to just north of the Fox Lake Road overpass.  Paving has already begun on the outer lanes from the Beachline to the Port St. John interchange (one layer is down and another needs to be put on).

Widening is progressing well; from just north of the Port St. John interchange to the interchange with SR 407 (Challenger Memorial Parkway), new blacktop has been laid down on the new inner lane and guardrails are being put up.  The same is happening southbound from the Fox Lake Road overpass to the interchange with SR 50.  The work on widening the overpass at SR 50 is ongoing (I do not know if they've started putting concrete beams down).

And a very interesting development at the SR 407 interchange, so at little bit of history is in order: SR 407 is currently a parclo, one of what was once a matching pair with SR 528.  SR 528 was turned into a full cloverleaf in about 2000, but SR 407 remained a parclo with southbound exiting towards the Beachline and northbound towards Titusville; which created a situation with folks who either missed their turnoff with SR 528 towards Orlando northbound or didn't understand that SR 407 was a parclo, what you would end up with were folks heading northbound off I-95 and then making an illegal left turn at the merge back westward on SR 407, including quite a few semis (and I have witnessed both cars and rigs do this over the years).

Well, that's about to change.  I've noticed on my last few trips using that interchange that they have now laid out left turn lanes off the exit ramp both northbound and southbound, so when they are done you will now be able to exit southbound off I-95 and turn towards Titusville or northbound to get to Orlando via the Beachline.  I will also make the assumption that the current signage will be changed to reflect the new movements.

At the south end the widening of the bridge over the canal at the Brevard/Indian River county line is continuing along with the widening of the first two miles into Brevard County.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Alex

FDOT considering toll for I-95/JTB flyover

QuoteFDOT is considering tolling the flyover they want to put between I-95 and JTB, partly to help alleviate the congestion that frequently stops up the Butler exit.  The current lanes would stay and remain free.  The flyover would run on SunPass, so there would be no tollbooths.

The project costs $125 million, which the state doesn't have right now. This comes on the heels of the FDOT's plan to expand 295 and add toll lanes.

NJRoadfan

Any updates on the US-19 freeway upgrade project in Pinellas County? They started the construction between Whitney Rd. and FL-60/Gulf-to-Bay Blvd. back in 2010. Just wondering how progress is. FLDOT doesn't seem to post photos. The project is notable in that it closes a big gap in the freeway, and modifies the world's first SPUI interchange at FL-60.

http://www.myus19.com/html/pinellas/segment-whitneyto60.html

NE2

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 06, 2012, 10:29:53 PM
The project is notable in that it closes a big gap in the freeway, and modifies the world's first SPUI interchange at FL-60.
There's actually an older one in Fort Worth, but don't tell anyone: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7399.msg165968#msg165968

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.