News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

If anybody wants to get a picture of an error FL-90 shield in Jacksonville along FL-13, might want to do it soon.

I've been talking with FDOT about the "overland" project and the way the signage was going to be and they will be correcting it based on my comments.  Once that project is done, US-1/US-90 will be properly signed along their short multiplex with I-95 in that area and all the error US-1/US-90 signage on Kings Avenue and Prudential Drive will be removed.

Also, on Kings Avenue and Prudential Drive, they will NOT be replacing the US-1/US-90 signage with FL-5 shields. :(  So, FL-5 will remain hidden in the Jacksonville area.

Alex

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 07, 2012, 11:05:53 PM
If anybody wants to get a picture of an error FL-90 shield in Jacksonville along FL-13, might want to do it soon.

I have seen/photographed one or two standard FL 90 shields over the past few years. Okaloosa County also has a pair of oddball FL-90 shields as well:

https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida004/cr-004_wb_app_us-090.jpg
https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida300/cr-393_sb_app_us-090.jpg

DAL764

Quote from: Alex on August 06, 2012, 09:28:12 PM
FDOT considering toll for I-95/JTB flyover

QuoteFDOT is considering tolling the flyover they want to put between I-95 and JTB, partly to help alleviate the congestion that frequently stops up the Butler exit.  The current lanes would stay and remain free.  The flyover would run on SunPass, so there would be no tollbooths.

The project costs $125 million, which the state doesn't have right now. This comes on the heels of the FDOT's plan to expand 295 and add toll lanes.
I realise construction costs tend to be very high these days, but $125 million for a single flyover? Sounds rather excessive.

Not that I dislike the idea, because I have always thought there'd need to be a true freeway-to-freeway connection between I-95SB and JTB EB to make it a full interchange (while closing the exit to Salisbury Road at the same time).

mstgator

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 06, 2012, 10:29:53 PM
Any updates on the US-19 freeway upgrade project in Pinellas County? They started the construction between Whitney Rd. and FL-60/Gulf-to-Bay Blvd. back in 2010. Just wondering how progress is. FLDOT doesn't seem to post photos. The project is notable in that it closes a big gap in the freeway, and modifies the world's first SPUI interchange at FL-60.

http://www.myus19.com/html/pinellas/segment-whitneyto60.html

The schedule at the link you posted seems to be on track so far.  The beam for the southbound span of the FL 60 overpass was removed several months ago in preparation for its replacement (two lanes in each direction are currently crammed into the former northbound side).  Several stretches of the frontage roads between FL 60 and the Whitney Road exit have already been paved, so a January opening for those looks doable for starting work on the thru lanes.  2015 can't come soon enough (another section of freeway upgrade north of Sunset Point just got underway and will wrap up around the same time).

roadman65

Quote from: mstgator on August 14, 2012, 09:32:41 PM
Any updates on the US-19 freeway upgrade project in Pinellas County? They started the construction between Whitney Rd. and FL-60/Gulf-to-Bay Blvd. back in 2010. Just wondering how progress is. FLDOT doesn't seem to post photos. The project is notable in that it closes a big gap in the freeway, and modifies the world's first SPUI interchange at FL-60.

The schedule at the link you posted seems to be on track so far.  The beam for the southbound span of the FL 60 overpass was removed several months ago in preparation for its replacement (two lanes in each direction are currently crammed into the former northbound side).  Several stretches of the frontage roads between FL 60 and the Whitney Road exit have already been paved, so a January opening for those looks doable for starting work on the thru lanes.  2015 can't come soon enough (another section of freeway upgrade north of Sunset Point just got underway and will wrap up around the same time).
How come US 19 gets to be upgraded to grade separations from many side roads, while in Orlando it many years to get the FL 50 and FL 436 intersection changed to interchange? Plus many other highways in Central Florida need upgraded badly, especially the Sand Lake Road and John Young Parkway intersection that WILL NOT get to be interchanged as part of this Monday's project to widen the present John Young from 4 lanes to 6 lanes from FL 528 to the FL Turnpike bridge that was supposed to include it in its original plan.

The Tampa Bay area seems to be getting many intersection improvements while this metro area just gets more traffic lights as a means to aid traffic flow and in reality turns rural roads into urban arterials.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2012, 04:13:30 PM
How come US 19 gets to be upgraded to grade separations from many side roads, while in Orlando it many years to get the FL 50 and FL 436 intersection changed to interchange?
Duh - SR 50 has a parallel freeway, while US 19 has none.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on August 25, 2012, 05:03:02 PM
How come US 19 gets to be upgraded to grade separations from many side roads, while in Orlando it many years to get the FL 50 and FL 436 intersection changed to interchange?

Yep... Pinellas County has a high population density, no where to build a parallel freeway without huge ROW costs.  Updgrade what is there is the only solution.

jwolfer

Quote from: mstgator on August 14, 2012, 09:32:41 PM

How come US 19 gets to be upgraded to grade separations from many side roads, while in Orlando it many years to get the FL 50 and FL 436 intersection changed to interchange? Plus many other highways in Central Florida need upgraded badly, especially the Sand Lake Road and John Young Parkway intersection that WILL NOT get to be interchanged as part of this Monday's project to widen the present John Young from 4 lanes to 6 lanes from FL 528 to the FL Turnpike bridge that was supposed to include it in its original plan.

The Tampa Bay area seems to be getting many intersection improvements while this metro area just gets more traffic lights as a means to aid traffic flow and in reality turns rural roads into urban arterials.

Its not just Orlando where rural roads with 65 MPH speedlimits turn into a myriad of traffic lights and target stores.  US1 between Jacksonville and St Augustine for example.  Florida should have some better planning standards.

agentsteel53

Orlando is a terrifying place.  126 lights on US-441.  six of them green when I drove through on a random Tuesday afternoon.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 28, 2012, 12:15:07 PM
Orlando is a terrifying place.  126 lights on US-441.  six of them green when I drove through on a random Tuesday afternoon.

There's a reason I'm not entirely sure I've ever clinched the Orange Blossom Trail...I may have, but eventually, I've grown bored and saw something else on the map that appeared to be more fun to drive upon. I'm kind of flighty in that way; I demand immediate gratification in my roadgeeking habits.

florida

Quote from: formulanone on August 28, 2012, 02:36:12 PM

There's a reason I'm not entirely sure I've ever clinched the Orange Blossom Trail...I may have, but eventually, I've grown bored and saw something else on the map that appeared to be more fun to drive upon. I'm kind of flighty in that way; I demand immediate gratification in my roadgeeking habits.

It was much more exciting before they revamped it with those horrible green mast arms. (I remember at least one older-style light set just south of I-4 from back in the day.)
So many roads...so little time.

realjd

All those red lights along OBT are good for the economy. If too many of the lights were green, how would the drug dealers and hookers ever get any customers?

roadman65

I was not talking about FL 50!  I was reffering to FL 436 that has NO PARALLEL FREEWAY?  If you want to count the 417, then you might as well count FL 589 as one to US 19.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: florida on August 28, 2012, 03:52:10 PM
Quote from: formulanone on August 28, 2012, 02:36:12 PM

It was much more exciting before they revamped it with those horrible green mast arms. (I remember at least one older-style light set just south of I-4 from back in the day.)
That was done as a project, believe it or not, to make OBT look like a better place.  With all those other improvements that were added like the sidewalks along the roadway, it now has a place for the hookers to walk and strut their assets.  Before, there were no sidewalks and a ditch along the highway and when I took my car into Allied Discount Tire years ago and while waiting for my car to be serviced I patronized the fast food store next to the business and had to walk on uneven grass because there were no sidewalks to be found.

In this case, if all was left the way it was I doubt if the girls (and shemales) would be out there today!  Or at least there.  Just like cleaning up Times Square only made the smut move to Eighth Avenue,  the riff raff would have stayed down the other end of OBT in the Holden Heights section of Orange County.

I drive OBT every day to work and see all of this.  Now, it took em months to add a median to the center of OBT for three miles from Oakridge to I-4, now the FDOT allowed the contractor to remove the  new project that entails the center turn lane  removal from Oakridge south to from this coming week until  5/13.  I guess FDOT feels sorry for construction workers and allows them only one day a week to work while having the other 6 off as it seems like they did on this past project. We should start another post on construction here as I am sure many of us see time wasted on projects around their areas.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on September 09, 2012, 07:07:23 PM
I was not talking about FL 50!  I was reffering to FL 436 that has NO PARALLEL FREEWAY?  If you want to count the 417, then you might as well count FL 589 as one to US 19.

Because 3 miles is just as long as 11 miles across a bay. Removed personal reference, accurate or otherwise

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

I was in the Boca Raton area last week, and found these two strangers:

Finally...something that shows "State Road 91" for the Turnpike. Although, I've seen similar "reveals" of  hidden designations during construction zones.

florida

I love that FL-SR7 sign (that's a new state road, y'know!). Palm Beach County has the best oddities in SOFL.
So many roads...so little time.

Brian556

Although, I've seen similar "reveals" of  hidden designations during construction zones.
Kinda like this detour assembly for US 41/64/72(Hidden SR 2) in Tennessee

agentsteel53

they even screwed up by using a secondary shield.  (no, that's not an old primary ... the old primary never came in 3dtn form, and also had TENN in it)

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Secondary is correct: http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/Maps/2012OfficialSM-Back.pdf
(Why the public state map shows the unsigned numbers is a good question.)

agentsteel53

now how does that work?  not all of the US route system in Tennessee is over what is considered primary routes?

(I had also thought "SR" meant "state route" in the original post.)

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 13, 2012, 12:16:57 AM
now how does that work?  not all of the US route system in Tennessee is over what is considered primary routes?
The primary/secondary routes match the pre-NHS federal aid systems. Some U.S. Routes were never FAP, and others became FAS when the Interstates were built.

(I had also thought "SR" meant "state route" in the original post.)
In Florida it's always State/County Road.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 13, 2012, 12:48:00 AM
The primary/secondary routes match the pre-NHS federal aid systems. Some U.S. Routes were never FAP, and others became FAS when the Interstates were built.
Now you've got me wondering if any other state does primary/secondary according to Federal Aid designations. I can't imagine that to be the case.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on September 13, 2012, 07:25:21 PM
Now you've got me wondering if any other state does primary/secondary according to Federal Aid designations. I can't imagine that to be the case.
Not that I know of, but Nevada's current numbers came from the FA designations.

Brian556

What is up with the arrows on the I-95 sign? Is this a one-of-a-kind, or are there others like it?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmophotos/577524533/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.