News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

How long has this "plan" been in the works? If it's been newly hatched, then that's fine, otherwise, the signs have been "incorrect" for a very long time.

Don't think they'll sign SR 5 on that short segment, it would be irrelevant (opposite of a roadgeek's wishes, though). If they do sign it, then I petition that SR 628 be signed too ;)

In the past, there have been breaks in the SHS on some roads.
So many roads...so little time.

Lyle

Hi, all. Did you know that they are building a connector between Interstate 4 and the Crosstown Expressway in Tampa, FL?

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/4555

rickmastfan67

Quote from: florida on January 29, 2010, 11:17:53 PM
How long has this "plan" been in the works? If it's been newly hatched, then that's fine, otherwise, the signs have been "incorrect" for a very long time.

Don't think they'll sign SR 5 on that short segment, it would be irrelevant (opposite of a roadgeek's wishes, though). If they do sign it, then I petition that SR 628 be signed too ;)

You thought wrong. ;)  They do plan on posting FL-5 in Jacksonville. ;)

Quote from: FDOTIt is our intention to sign Kings Rd./Prudential Drive as State Road 5.

Alex

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 29, 2010, 07:18:49 PM

All I did was contact the PIO for the Jacksonville area.

Here's the page with all of their e-mail addresses: http://www.dot.state.fl.us/PublicInformationOffice/moreDOT/phone.shtm

Unfortunately the district 3 PIO is generally unresponsive...

florida

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 01, 2010, 01:44:21 PM
Quote from: florida on January 29, 2010, 11:17:53 PM

You thought wrong. ;)  They do plan on posting FL-5 in Jacksonville. ;)

Quote from: FDOTIt is our intention to sign Kings Rd./Prudential Drive as State Road 5.

That is really surprising! I'm looking forward to an SR 5 and SR 13 duplex.

District 4 is unresponsive too.

Scott5114

This thread is deprecated. Please start new threads for each Florida related topic you may wish to discuss.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

FLRoads

I would like to keep this thread open and serve as it has in the past, a catch-all for most road related topics related to Florida. Being as there are currently 14 pages to the thread, I would say it has done pretty well. If anyone feels any different, maybe we can hold further discussions among the admins and the moderator for this particular thread.

florida

Quote from: mightyace on March 04, 2009, 02:53:47 PM
Quote from: flaroadgeek on March 04, 2009, 02:24:52 PM
Yep, it is. The toll hike is also partly due to lack of ridership on the tollways in the county. Since the OOCEA is not making any money they have to pass the buck onto the commuters and make them pay. Nice, eh? 

And, of course, the toll hike will lower ridership further.

There was a blurb on the local news how ridership has decreased over the past 20 months.

florida

Just a slight update. We went to try watching the shuttle take off on the night it was scrubbed and there were a few changes on SR 50.

-The traffic signal at Orange CR 419 and SR 50 has been replaced with....another spanwire. But, this means the "SR 419 / Chuluota Rd" signblade hanging from it has gone with the old lights.
-The speed limit through Christmas has been bumped up to 60mph.
-The state name I-95 shields at Exit 215 have been neutered, but the numeral specs remain the same.

FLRoads

Was there any sign of construction at the intersection with Florida 50 and Orange County 419 to warrant another signal change? Maybe they are setting up the traffic signals in the area to be on a continuous circuit for better traffic flow, but I never understand why you have to replace the signals (or their locations on the span wire) and wire to do it...

Good to hear that the speed limit has been pushed up to 60mph through Christmas, though they should have just pushed it up to 65mph. Nobody ever adhered to the posted speed limit through there anyway.

Sucks to hear that those state named shields have been replaced with neutered ones. Boo... I'm betting the replacement shields were erected by FDOT, unlike the state named shields they replaced...

florida

It seems that Columbia School Road (opposite of CR 419) was widened at the intersection, and it looked like a couple other businesses popped up on that side of SR 50. How would it be a continuous circuit? It's the only signal in the area, the nearest ones are at CR 13 in Bithlo and Avalon Park Blvd....at least a mile in each direction. Just seems like a waste of money....not to mention, they installed those lighted street signs for the road names. Seriously?!

About time for the speed limit upgrade; the drop from 65 to 55 was wretched. Putting it was 65 would be too dangerous...reindeer would be killed. I bet, too, that FDOT re-installed them. Our money at work!   :clap:

FLRoads

It was the only quick thing I could think of as to why they would replace the signals... :) I haven't been in that area for a couple of years now, so I was only assuming that more traffic lights had been added to the ever retail center/subdivision growing Florida 50. I do agree for whatever the purpose for replacing the signals, it was a waste of money (at last I remember it cost about $250,000 for signalization of an intersection...)

rickmastfan67

Has anybody heard anything new on when US-41 signage will show back up past US-1 in Miami all the way to Miami Beach?  Last I heard anything about this was back in 2007.

Lyle

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 16, 2010, 10:48:13 PM
Has anybody heard anything new on when US-41 signage will show back up past US-1 in Miami all the way to Miami Beach?  Last I heard anything about this was back in 2007.

I believe U.S. 41 ends at U.S. 1 in Miami now. Last I heard, the former U.S. 41 over the Causeway is now part of FL-A1A.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Lyle on February 17, 2010, 12:06:26 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 16, 2010, 10:48:13 PM

I believe U.S. 41 ends at U.S. 1 in Miami now. Last I heard, the former U.S. 41 over the Causeway is now part of FL-A1A.

US-41 is still shown to end over in Miami Beach in FDOT's GIS data.  Also I've seen it mentioned on a few FDOT maps with shields on the MacArthur Causeway over to Miami Beach.
Also, FDOT never officially asked the AASHTO to shorten the route back in 1999.  If they had, then this question would have never been asked.
Also, see this post @ the ushwys group over @ Yahoo.  (You need to be logged in and possibly be a member of the group to see it)

Lyle

Oh. I didn't know that.

FLRoads

Here is a lengthy article from the Orlando Sentinel discussing the latest on the Wekiva Parkway, the proposed 26 mile expressway that would provide the final link in the Orlando metro area beltway, connecting with Toll Florida 417 at its east end and a proposed Toll 429 at its southern end.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-02-20/news/os-wekiva-parkway-delay-frustation-20100220_1_wekiva-parkway-nancy-prine-state-road

It does mention in the article that the beltway could be finished by 2018, but I am not holding my breath...

Alex

Quote from: flaroadgeek on February 21, 2010, 08:33:24 AM
Here is a lengthy article from the Orlando Sentinel discussing the latest on the Wekiva Parkway, the proposed 26 mile expressway that would provide the final link in the Orlando metro area beltway, connecting with Toll Florida 417 at its east end and a proposed Toll 429 at its southern end.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-02-20/news/os-wekiva-parkway-delay-frustation-20100220_1_wekiva-parkway-nancy-prine-state-road

It does mention in the article that the beltway could be finished by 2018, but I am not holding my breath...

The entire Illinois Tollway system was completed in three years... My have we progressed...

rickmastfan67

FYI to all you guys out there, I've been working on the FL State Highways for the CHM site.  And I just had FL-A1A to FL-277 posted on the site.  So, take a look at what I have done so far. ;)

http://cmap.m-plex.com/hb/selecthwys.php?sys=usafl&rg=all&mt=g&gr=p&sub=Show

florida

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 19, 2010, 10:52:13 PM
FYI to all you guys out there, I've been working on the FL State Highways for the CHM site.  And I just had FL-A1A to FL-277 posted on the site.  So, take a look at what I have done so far. ;)

http://cmap.m-plex.com/hb/selecthwys.php?sys=usafl&rg=all&mt=g&gr=p&sub=Show

Very good work! Seems tough to accomplish, but now you've just got the easy routes ahead.

Are you doing the general routing of each road? (As in not getting too specific as to what's in the route log? Examples are old alignments, one-way-pairs, and ramps that are considered part of a state road.)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: florida on March 20, 2010, 02:56:30 PM
Are you doing the general routing of each road? (As in not getting too specific as to what's in the route log? Examples are old alignments, one-way-pairs, and ramps that are considered part of a state road.)

I'm not doing old alignments.  Only stuff that is current per the GIS data.  So, if it has an entry in the GIS data, it's game.

D-Dey65

I've noticed that Sumter County likes to make a lot of their signs this way. Here's one around the intersection of Sumter CR's 476 and 616 west of Bushnell.

I'm going to leave the link around, just incase I want to do something else to it:
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9928/sumtercr616toi75.jpg

allniter89

http://www.cityofcrestview.org/announcements/SR_85_Access_Management_Plan.pdf
A plan to limit driveway access on SR 85 which is the main business route. SR 85 is completley built up with commercial buildings the entire length of town (7miles?), hardly any vacant land available, speed limit is 45 but you're lucky if you can do 35-40. A new squadron is coming to Eglin AFB just south of town and will bring thousands more to the area. I dont think this access/service road plan will help because they are terrible drivers here. As shown in the plan most of the accidents are rear-enders from tailgating and left turn accidents. I think what we need is a total bypass of the city but since the Govt ie Eglin AFB owns much of the land in this area, it would likley be a long process to persuade the Govt to allow us to use some of their land.
There has been a long running discussion of building a bypass for Ft Walton Beach on US 98 for  from Niceville to Mary Esther FL which would also require the govt ie Hurlburt Field AF Station to give up some land.
Instead they are building a flyover at the FL85/FL123 jct that is not even needed!!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

D-Dey65

This sign used to be on the southbound off-ramp from the Suncoast Parkway at Florida State Road 52 back in the early-2000's.

It's not there now, because the winery isn't there now.

Two other views of Interstate 75 at the Hernando-Sumter County Line:

Sorry I couldn't capture a view of the Withlacoochee River.

florida

Trolling around the cflroads.com website, there are future plans to finally widen SR 483 in Daytona Beach (design begins in May).

-There is a project to rehabilitate the rigid pavement along an eight-mile section of US 92 near Clark Bay Road (in December). Hopefully, this isn't the start of the end of the concrete roadway between DeLand and Daytona Beach.
-Traffic signals will be installed at West Parkway and US 92 in DeLand this Fall.
-Red Bug Lake Road/SR 436 flyover will start construction in one year.
-Traffic signals coming to SR 436 and Orange Avenue in Forest City.
-International Parkway will be connected to SR 417, in Lake Mary/Heathrow, this upcoming Winter.
-SR 471 and Sumter CR 48 will get a traffic signal next Spring, along with some intersection widening.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.