News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Got to finally see some of the new signage at the U.S. 41/U.S. 19 split north of Palmetto this afternoon:

New diagrammatical for the upcoming beginning of U.S. 19. They decided to add the Sunshine Skyway as a control point and indicate that U.S. 19 leads to I-275. Port Manatee also gets added as a control point for U.S. 41.

APL-ish type guide sign at the gore point. The second arrow on the U.S. 19 overhead should really be white on green as the middle lane exits onto U.S. 19 as well as becoming the inside lane for U.S. 41 northbound.

A new mileage sign now includes Perry at 214 miles out. Still no reassurance shield though...

And lastly....

The orange (coral) colored U.S. 41 shields along 7th Street West in Palmetto are no more! They have been removed but for some reason the sign span remains. This is what was formally attached to the sign span:

roadman65

Quote from: realjd on April 30, 2014, 03:12:58 PM
Speed limit bill passed the house, barely. It's now headed to Governor Voldemort, I mean Rick Scott.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2014/04/30/speed-limit-increase-bill-goes-to-florida-gov-scott/8517799/
Good call on him!  Apparently, Sean Hannity is campaigning for him already praising him to be a great governor!  Considering Hannity is supposed to be conservative and does not like RINO's that he would not be praising this guy at all.  Anyway,  Rick Scott is a big nobody with money to hurt people! 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: flaroads on May 06, 2014, 04:47:28 PM
The orange (coral) colored U.S. 41 shields along 7th Street West in Palmetto are no more! They have been removed but for some reason the sign span remains.

Booooo!

Never got around to getting a photo of those. Any other remaining orange 41 shields?

In other news...love bug month means road trips suck until Memorial Day.

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on May 07, 2014, 10:49:20 AM
Quote from: flaroads on May 06, 2014, 04:47:28 PM
The orange (coral) colored U.S. 41 shields along 7th Street West in Palmetto are no more! They have been removed but for some reason the sign span remains.

Booooo!

Never got around to getting a photo of those. Any other remaining orange 41 shields?

Outside of Joe's find of new US 27/41 shields in High Springs, where the US 41 is red, I believe that was the last orange 41 left in the state.

Quote from: formulanone on May 07, 2014, 10:49:20 AM
In other news...love bug month means road trips suck until Memorial Day.

Love bugs have been horrible down here for three weeks. They are especially bad this week with swarms all over.

roadman65

Construction rolls on the Florida Turnpike at TOLL FL 417.  Traffic is being shifted to a temporary roadway while construction crews work on the SB FL 417 ramp to the SB Turnpike.  This photo looks northward from Town Center Boulevard near Hunter's Creek.

Sheryl Crowe

realjd

So our douchebag of a governor is going to veto the speed limit increase because he "stands with law enforcement".
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20140513/APN/305139732

We had a trooper killed by a drunk driver during a traffic stop. During her funeral, the FHP troopers demanded publicly that he veto the bill, as if raising the speed limit has anything to do with drunk driving.

roadman65

You know that guy is so irritating.  He thinks he hot shit because now that Sean Hanity is campaigning for him next election.  Hannity keeps telling people that Rick Scott is a great governor and doing great things for this state to prove that Republican governors have the best economy.  The thing is Rick Scott is not a real Republican!  He got the State of Florida's Republican Party to give him a run off election to run against Bill McCullum, who is the real Republican for governor that never got in do to his slogan "Don't elect career politicians" which people of Florida fell for like suckers.  At least McCullum was in US Congress and knows something about the political game.

I want this idiot out of Tallahassee so badly I cannot express how much I hate this guy!  I even hate Hannity even more now, because he is supposed to be a professional journalist.  Even Bud Hedinger, local talk show personality in Orlando who is conservative very much, only supported Scott because he had to.   This guy is a RINO and should be in jail for medicair fraud as he did an Ollie North when he was indicted for his alleged mistakes.

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

Quote from: realjd on May 13, 2014, 04:16:27 PM
So our douchebag of a governor is going to veto the speed limit increase because he "stands with law enforcement".
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20140513/APN/305139732

We had a trooper killed by a drunk driver during a traffic stop. During her funeral, the FHP troopers demanded publicly that he veto the bill, as if raising the speed limit has anything to do with drunk driving.
I am not surprised that Governor Scott will veto this speed limit bill.  Oddly, in Florida, driving 75 mph in a 70 mph zone is not even a violation.  And no, I am also no fan of the Governor, either.  I'll be just as surprised if he is re-elected as he was elected in 2010.

FLRoads

Quote from: xcellntbuy on May 13, 2014, 07:26:52 PM
I am not surprised that Governor Scott will veto this speed limit bill.  Oddly, in Florida, driving 75 mph in a 70 mph zone is not even a violation.  And no, I am also no fan of the Governor, either.  I'll be just as surprised if he is re-elected as he was elected in 2010.
No but what this veto from Lord Voldemort will do is eventually change that rule and make it a violation. You watch. I cannot wait until November 4th!!

He was quoted as saying: "Maintaining Florida's current speed limits will undoubtedly prevent injuries and save lives on our roadways."
I'm sorry but if I were hit at 70 versus 75 (as an example) I don't think that my injuries are going to be that different. It's an illogical statement on his part.

roadman65

Well we have to support the "other" this November. Even with Crist's faults, he is not as evil as ole Baldy is!  Hopefully they can override his veto, even if it takes till next year.

I am upset that Sean Hannity, someone I thought had a level head, is saying praises for this guy on his radio and TV show when Scott is not even Conservative.  I thought we had someone of a nice guy here, but he is starting to give talk radio a much more bad name as well as Fox.  Even Bud Heddinger was reluctant to support this clown when he ran against Dana Sink last time around, so you know that he is a RINO.  Heck, I do not think his is an anything,  either left, right, center, or points in between.  Rick Scott is off the scale of politics.

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

The parts of Florida where a 75 mph speed limit would be appropriate will still have people exceeding the posted 70 mph limit very  often.

Two limited-access highways that immediately come to mind are Alligator Alley (Interstate 75) for its entire length and the Florida's Turnpike between Fort Pierce (Exit 152) and Kissimmee (Exit 238).  Speeds of some vehicles often greatly exceed 85-90 mph since both sections of these two highways are virtually straight, lightly traveled and are through-traffic corridors.  Traveling at 100 mph is not unheard of.

US 27 from the Miami-Dade County line north to Belle Glade, south of Lake Ockeechobee would be another area where the rise from 65 mph to 70 mph would make little difference.

I am sure my fellow Florida members of this forum have other possibilities to illustrate the point.

roadman65

If it were able to have 75 mph it would be Alligator Alley and the Turnpike between Fort Pierce and St. Cloud.  Maybe part of I-10 could be, but that would do it.

Did the 75 mph increase mean that the rural arterials that are 4 lanes or more could be 70 mph?

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2014, 07:16:39 PM
If it were able to have 75 mph it would be Alligator Alley and the Turnpike between Fort Pierce and St. Cloud.  Maybe part of I-10 could be, but that would do it.

Did the 75 mph increase mean that the rural arterials that are 4 lanes or more could be 70 mph?
That was the intent of the Bill.

roadman65

So that would have meant that US 19 in Levy, Citrus, and Taylor Counties would benefit for 70 mph as well.  Maybe that may be the compromise for an override that the bill do away with 75, but raise to 70 on the arterials if the fight gets put up.

Sheryl Crowe

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2014, 07:16:39 PM

I-95 between Daytona and SR-528 is another good candidate for 75, as was I-95 between Palm Bay and West Palm.

There are a bunch of rural dual carriageway highways in Central a Florida that are currently signed 65 that would have been good candidates for 70. US-192, SR-520, and SR-50 east of Bithlo all immediately come to mind.

roadman65

I would think that the SR 417 would become 70 as that is 65 at present, and that could be legally 70 as its a freeway.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

All of I-10 between Exits 31 and 192, with the exception of maybe at the Apalachicola River, should be posted at 75 MPH. Most specifically the stretch along the northern periphery of Eglin AFB with just the three interchanges. Traffic counts in NW FL are the lowest in the FL I-system as well, making 75 MPH easier to accommodate.

roadman65

I hope they override his veto.  This is somewhat good to have that 75 mph on some of these freeways.

Sheryl Crowe

stormwatch7721

I'm glad Gov. Rick Scott vetoed it because drivers might have a hard time getting on the interstates and end up getting into a car wreck.

agentsteel53

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on May 16, 2014, 02:31:34 PM
I'm glad Gov. Rick Scott vetoed it because drivers might have a hard time getting on the interstates and end up getting into a car wreck.

maybe those people shouldn't try to merge doing 20...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

quote from formulanone:
QuoteIn other news...love bug month means road trips suck until Memorial Day.

Lovebugs? I'm guessing those are the ones that are always having sex while flying, and that make a white splat on your windshield.
I just got back from Florida; and those are bad all the way to Louisiana.

realjd

Quote from: Brian556 on May 16, 2014, 10:13:13 PM
quote from formulanone:
QuoteIn other news...love bug month means road trips suck until Memorial Day.

Lovebugs? I'm guessing those are the ones that are always having sex while flying, and that make a white splat on your windshield.
I just got back from Florida; and those are bad all the way to Louisiana.

Yep, that's them. Every May and every September for three weeks. Scrub them off your car quick because their acidic carcasses can mar your paint.

roadman65

That is what happens when man tries to create the perfect bug.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Except they migrated to Florida, like many other species of animals...the rest is folklore.

I carry a razor blade on a handle when driving through Florida's rural areas, because it's the only thing that completely cleans them off windshields. And they're quite putrid, too.

If you wax your car's front end just before driving around, they clean off much easier.

roadman65

I do not know what their history is, I just know they serve no useful purpose to anything.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.