Regional Boards > Northwest

ODOT: ‘Strong opposition’ from public on I-205 tolling

<< < (2/22) > >>

doorknob60:
I'm not against tolls (eg. I'll gladly drive a road like the NJTP), but I'm very against adding tolls to previously free roads. The only exception I'm okay with (though still not ideal) is replacing large bridges and other similarly large scale projects, eg. the I-5 Columbia Bridge if they ever get around to that. The Abernethy bridge doesn't quite fit that to me, and in this case would just add traffic to surrounding surface streets, particularly OR-43, unless the toll was cheap, like around $1. West Linn, Oregon City, and Gladstone are too connected on a local level for this to make sense, even without factoring in the larger Portland regional traffic.

Also, tolling the highway that bypasses downtown Portland, instead of the one going through downtown, seems pretty backwards. Though I'm sure I-5 will get some form of toll at some point (and it will be more justified than I-205's most likely).

vdeane:
Oregon's ultimate goal is to toll everything around Portland, though I-205 is the most immediate and the only other plan that's moving forward is I-5.  At the end of the day, the reasons are largely ideological.

I also agree about hating tolling existing free roads, and my distaste for it only grows outsize of E-ZPass territory as I don't trust bill by mail (and refuse to pay the associated fees).  Unfortunately, I don't see nation-wide toll interoperability happening any time soon.  We're more than four years from the original deadline for that passing, and not much progress has been made.

1:

--- Quote from: vdeane on December 08, 2020, 09:45:06 PM ---I don't trust bill by mail (and refuse to pay the associated fees)

--- End quote ---

It all depends on which state it's in. MA charges slightly more for bill by mail, but there are no administrative fees, and there are no known instances where someone doesn't get the original bill and then gets a late fee. While MA does use E-ZPass, there are probably a decent number of states with a good bill by mail system.

kkt:
If they toll 205, they pretty much have to toll 5 also.

Tolling has two problems:  A lot more of the money collect in tolls is overhead than in gas taxes.  And tolling creates a record of where you (or your vehicle) was when.  That will be abused.

Alps:

--- Quote from: kkt on December 10, 2020, 02:24:00 AM ---If they toll 205, they pretty much have to toll 5 also.

Tolling has two problems:  A lot more of the money collect in tolls is overhead than in gas taxes.  And tolling creates a record of where you (or your vehicle) was when.  That will be abused.

--- End quote ---
That has never been abused by any other toll agency. Dead issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version