News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

MNHighwayMan

That's nuts, and awesome! I don't know/remember if I've ever seen something like that before.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 25, 2019, 10:40:05 AM
That's nuts, and awesome! I don't know/remember if I've ever seen something like that before.

I know it's something I've never seen! We couldn't decide what it was that was falling. Built up on surfaces very quickly.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jakeroot on March 25, 2019, 08:05:47 PM

I know it's something I've never seen! We couldn't decide what it was that was falling. Built up on surfaces very quickly.
I was going to presume hail, but that's like no hail I've seen before.

Meanwhile, in the Great Southern Pennsylvania Rainforest...
-Clear/partly cloudy for three days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday), highs in the 50s
-Cloudy and rainy for three days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), highs in the 70s; Sunday has a high of 52
-Back to sunny on Monday; high of 49

Mmm, delicious climate change.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 25, 2019, 08:52:08 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 25, 2019, 08:05:47 PM
I was going to presume hail, but that's like no hail I've seen before.

Yeah, that would be the softest/most mushy hail I've ever seen. Watching the video again, it kind of just looks like some really intense rain/snow mixture. Hard to say without having been there, though.

jeffandnicole

Because of the storm and severe weather, it was most likely hail.  It probably formed within the clouds, then once it became too heavy it fell to the ground.

Sleet would've started falling as snow.  While possible, it was a fairly warm day.  The leading edges of the storm probably would've been snow as well if this was sleet.

The end result of either: It's icy balls.  Good sleet/hail storms can have an accumulation before it melts.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Mark68

Denver currently:

Partly Cloudy and 42, headed for a high of 70 (our first 70 degree day since the end of October).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

US 89

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2019, 06:14:05 AM
Because of the storm and severe weather, it was most likely hail.  It probably formed within the clouds, then once it became too heavy it fell to the ground.

Sleet would've started falling as snow.  While possible, it was a fairly warm day.  The leading edges of the storm probably would've been snow as well if this was sleet.

The end result of either: It's icy balls.  Good sleet/hail storms can have an accumulation before it melts.

I was going to go with graupel, which is just a fancy word for snow pellets. It's fairly common in cold-weather convective storms, such as thunderstorms and lake-effect snow showers. The mechanics for forming it are somewhat similar, but hail is much harder. The precip in that video was falling apart as it hit the windshield, which likely rules out sleet (ice pellets) or hail. But the distinction is subtle with smaller hail, and in fact the same METAR code (GS) is used to describe both. Larger hail gets the GR code.

MNHighwayMan

Here's a video I took on February 6th of actual sleet/ice pellets. Way different from jakeroot's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLzAFvT2Msc

ET21

Quote from: US 89 on March 26, 2019, 11:19:39 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2019, 06:14:05 AM

I was going to go with graupel, which is just a fancy word for snow pellets. It's fairly common in cold-weather convective storms, such as thunderstorms and lake-effect snow showers. The mechanics for forming it are somewhat similar, but hail is much harder. The precip in that video was falling apart as it hit the windshield, which likely rules out sleet (ice pellets) or hail. But the distinction is subtle with smaller hail, and in fact the same METAR code (GS) is used to describe both. Larger hail gets the GR code.

Definitely looks like graupel, the dip-n-dots of weather
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jakeroot

Here's an image (a bit after the fact) of what accumulated. Like an icy snow:

ET21

Slop lol. When you have snow, graupel, and rain all mix
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jakeroot

Quote from: ET21 on March 26, 2019, 03:22:46 PM
Slop lol. When you have snow, graupel, and rain all mix

Snaipel!

ipeters61

Just something I thought I'd share, this is from the rain that occurred on Friday evening here.  It rained pretty much from the moment I left the grocery store to when I got home (so less than 10 minutes), and the rainbow came just in time for me to get my camera!  To be fair, it was raining some time earlier in the day that day, but I don't have a window at my desk at work, so I don't know when exactly.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Eth

38 and sunny this morning with a high of 66. One of those annoying days where I need a jacket for my morning commute that I'll have to stuff into my backpack later.

Ben114

43 currently tonight, looking at some rain and a high of 54 tomorrow, 65 on Saturday, and back to 40s Monday

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

Bruce

Sunny in the low 60s. The famous UW cherry blossoms are starting to reach their peak bloom.

https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/1112107701314547712

ipeters61

It reached 76 degrees in Dover today.  I went up to Wilmington's Brandywine Park (my favorite place in all of Delaware) and saw the cherry blossoms starting to bloom.  The blossoms at the Governor's House in Dover are pretty close to peak bloom.

Photo at Brandywine Park.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Buck87

36 degrees and snowing for the first time in a few weeks. Could get at much as an inch tonight, with temps dropping below freezing and staying that way until tomorrow's forecasted high of 34 in the afternoon.

March is not exactly going out like a lamb.

Roadgeekteen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.