News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

^ I wasn't claiming to be average or normal, or doubting that you are. :D

I am not at all surprised that the upper bound of comfortable is lowest in the Upper Midwest. It is both northerly (meaning lower average temps) and humid (thanks to the Great Lakes). This can be an oppressive combo when the heat kicks in. And yeah, Upstate NY is a much better fit with the likes of Michigan and Minnesota than the Northeast in this regard. I'm sure the trend would be even stronger - possibly even pulling the average below 80 degrees - if the poll only included those living within 200 miles of a Great Lake.

jakeroot

15-year-old girl mode warning...

Quote from: webny99 on May 06, 2019, 10:11:36 PM

That's not the impression I got...

Quote from: webny99 on May 04, 2019, 09:03:42 PM
I wouldn't even consider "dressing up" to go outside at 50 - I actually found the thought of doing so mildly amusing

If you're amused by something that is largely normal behaviour, well...you're certainly allowed to laugh at whatever you want. But don't be surprised when someone gets the impression that you're the crazy one! :-D

I am not at all surprised that the upper bound of comfortable is lowest in the Upper Midwest. It is both northerly (meaning lower average temps) and humid (thanks to the Great Lakes). This can be an oppressive combo when the heat kicks in. And yeah, Upstate NY is a much better fit with the likes of Michigan and Minnesota than the Northeast in this regard. I'm sure the trend would be even stronger - possibly even pulling the average below 80 degrees - if the poll only included those living within 200 miles of a Great Lake.

Something tells me that, in virtually every part of the country, the tolerance goes up as the season goes on. 80 may feel hot in Buffalo in April or May, because it's been snowing or really cold for four months, but I bet that it starts to feel downright chilly at 75 by early September, assuming there's a slight breeze and lowish humidity, after months of humid, hot days.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2019, 04:43:32 PM
I have been lucky, growing up in homes that have had AC. My opinion on hot weather may be different if that weren't the case. One of the primary arguments against hot weather is that you can escape the cold with a jacket, but you can't necessarily escape the heat (you can only remove so much clothing!). But if you have AC, you can effectively escape the heat.

AC in homes is definitely a newer feature in Northwestern architecture. Most homes (especially those before the housing booms since the 1980s) were able to be cooled with a decent breeze and staying away from windows with the afternoon/evening sun. With climate change, those days are long gone, so AC is definitely a requirement.

Seattle has a pretty mild urban heat island compared to what other metro areas have, perhaps aided by the amount of street and urban trees, the geography, and the water. Usually, our temperatures at the extreme north are only a few degrees (<3 F at a time) cooler than Seattle's on a given day...but I am also set back a bit from the water and benefit from living in  a small, shallow valley.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Bruce on May 07, 2019, 02:35:21 AM
AC in homes is definitely a newer feature in Northwestern architecture. Most homes (especially those before the housing booms since the 1980s) were able to be cooled with a decent breeze and staying away from windows with the afternoon/evening sun. With climate change, those days are long gone, so AC is definitely a requirement.

The difference due to climate change has been about 2°F. I would think that being on the coast vs. 40 miles from the coast would have a much larger difference.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2019, 11:32:20 PM
15-year-old girl mode warning...
That's not the impression I got...
I wouldn't even consider "dressing up" to go outside at 50 - I actually found the thought of doing so mildly amusing
If you're amused by something that is largely normal behaviour, well...you're certainly allowed to laugh at whatever you want. But don't be surprised when someone gets the impression that you're the crazy one! :-D

Yeah!  :)
It was amusing in the context of me being from the Great Lakes, thus being used to long/cold winters, and you being from the Pacific Northwest. In the same way that I'm amused by the reaction to snow in Georgia or Tennessee. Not because I think you're describing abnormal behavior, just because normal varies from place to place.

Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2019, 11:32:20 PM
Something tells me that, in virtually every part of the country, the tolerance goes up as the season goes on. 80 may feel hot in Buffalo in April or May, because it's been snowing or really cold for four months, but I bet that it starts to feel downright chilly at 75 by early September, assuming there's a slight breeze and lowish humidity, after months of humid, hot days.

Yes, agreed. A month ago, 50 degrees would have felt like summer and everyone would have been rushing outdoors with shorts and a t-shirt. In October, 50 degrees will feel like winter, and it won't seem weird to put on a light jacket to go outside.

ipeters61

Quote from: webny99 on May 07, 2019, 09:41:16 AM
It was amusing in the context of me being from the Great Lakes, thus being used to long/cold winters, and you being from the Pacific Northwest. In the same way that I'm amused by the reaction to snow in Georgia or Tennessee. Not because I think you're describing abnormal behavior, just because normal varies from place to place.
Not going to lie, people say "snowstorm" when referring to anything more than 1 inch of snow.  In Dover, a snow route is declared after ONE HOUR of snowfall.

Again, having grown up in northeast PA and New England, I'm just like....yeah okay pal.  :spin:
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jp the roadgeek

Speaking of snow, it's May 12th, and it almost feels cold enough to snow in much of the Northeastern US.  Feels less like Mother's Day and more like Valentines Day.  This is Spring? :hmmm:  :angry:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

KEVIN_224

There were sleet and icing issues on I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike late this morning in the Berkshire areas of the road. Speed was down to as little as 30 MPH from the New York state line to maybe mile marker 44. I think that's to or near Exit 3 in Westfield, MA (US 202/MA 10).

It was about 69 or 70 degrees in New Britain, CT on Saturday. Today? I don't think it ever got above 45 for a daytime high. We've also picked up at least another 8/10 inch of rain we don't need. Safe to say that the trees exploded around here in the last week. A couple of maple trees look like mid-July already. 

ipeters61

Yesterday was totally feasible as a beach day in Delaware, I walked along the water at Slaughter Beach and the water felt fine.  Air temperature was about 70-75 degrees.

Today, it rained all day and I only left my apartment to take the trash out.  I checked and the temperature was about 55 (which is actually my ideal temperature, but with the rain not my ideal weather).  Average for this time of year is about 75.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Bruce

Our temporary heat wave (which saw us spike towards the high 80s) is finally over. Long live the mid 60s!

ET21

First 80 of 2019 might be Thursday, praying  :D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jon daly

Quote from: jakeroot on May 04, 2019, 06:48:59 PM
I mostly prefer 80s-90s because it gets me out. 50s and below keeps me inside, or force me to get all dressed up before going out.

In my case just the opposite. Anything in the 50s and 60s is great outdoors weather. I wouldn't even consider "dressing up" to go outside at 50 - I actually found the thought of doing so mildly amusing - while at 80+ I'd probably rather be inside in the AC than go out at all. It really depends on context whether I will legitimately be "hot" at 80 degrees. With the sun behind clouds and a nice breeze blowing, probably not. But with no wind and the sun beating down, almost certainly yes.

Two factors are that this area tends to have high humidity, and I'm in OK but definitely not the greatest physical shape.

I'm comfortable not wearing a jacket in the 40F range, as long as I wear a sweater or a long sleeve shirt and it is calm and I am in the sun.

ipeters61

Quote from: jon daly on May 13, 2019, 12:45:49 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 04, 2019, 06:48:59 PM
I mostly prefer 80s-90s because it gets me out. 50s and below keeps me inside, or force me to get all dressed up before going out.

In my case just the opposite. Anything in the 50s and 60s is great outdoors weather. I wouldn't even consider "dressing up" to go outside at 50 - I actually found the thought of doing so mildly amusing - while at 80+ I'd probably rather be inside in the AC than go out at all. It really depends on context whether I will legitimately be "hot" at 80 degrees. With the sun behind clouds and a nice breeze blowing, probably not. But with no wind and the sun beating down, almost certainly yes.

Two factors are that this area tends to have high humidity, and I'm in OK but definitely not the greatest physical shape.

I'm comfortable not wearing a jacket in the 40F range, as long as I wear a sweater or a long sleeve shirt and it is calm and I am in the sun.
Upper 40s I'm okay with doing that, as long as the shirt is thick enough.  Otherwise, lower 40s I'd still want a jacket.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Ben114

Quote from: ET21 on May 13, 2019, 08:49:54 AM
First 80 of 2019 might be Thursday, praying  :D
New England may hit 80 somewhere on Monday the 20th, currently highs are between 75-78 in most places.

MNHighwayMan

Highs in the upper 70s/80s are predicted for most of this week. I think I'll finally have to turn my AC on.

Mark68

Currently partly cloudy and 76. Forecasted to hit 80 today, up to 86 by Thursday before it cools off for the weekend.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

US 89

Here in Salt Lake, after a few days in the 80s, it's supposed to be windy and warm today with highs in the 70s. Cold front comes later today and there's a marginal risk of severe thunderstorms for this evening. Following that, a series of storm systems will bring rain every day for at least the next 7 days, with highs dropping to the 50s (yes, that means snow in the mountains).

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US 89 on May 16, 2019, 10:13:34 AM
Here in Salt Lake, after a few days in the 80s, it's supposed to be windy and warm today with highs in the 70s. Cold front comes later today and there's a marginal risk of severe thunderstorms for this evening. Following that, a series of storm systems will bring rain every day for at least the next 7 days, with highs dropping to the 50s (yes, that means snow in the mountains).

The temperature here reached 91 degrees today. Downright unnatural.

I'm barely in the slight risk region for today/tonight. I was outside watching cumulus form a little while ago, but I don't think storms will come through here for another few hours yet, at least.

jakeroot

I haven't seen so much as a flash of lightning in Seattle since maybe October? Amazing how different the climate is from state to state.

ET21

Went chasing for the first time yesterday in about 2 years, no tornado but got some good pics and some hail. Finally hit 80 degrees and it felt amazing
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Mark68

After about 3-4 inches of snow(!) Monday night into Tuesday, the current temperature is 44 with an expected high of 52 and more afternoon/evening showers (of the rain variety) expected.

thspfc

Quote from: Mark68 on May 22, 2019, 12:53:34 PM
After about 3-4 inches of snow(!) Monday night into Tuesday, the current temperature is 44 with an expected high of 52 and more afternoon/evening showers (of the rain variety) expected.
In Denver, or in the mountains?

Mark68

In town. The mountains got hammered.

I heard that in Colorado Springs, they got a foot plus.

thspfc

Quote from: Mark68 on May 22, 2019, 06:31:56 PM

That's crazy. I wish the ski resorts could reopen for massive spring storms, but I don't think they can since all the ski patrol and lifties are part time.

US 89

Quote from: thspfc on May 22, 2019, 07:48:34 PM
Quote from: Mark68 on May 22, 2019, 06:31:56 PM

That's crazy. I wish the ski resorts could reopen for massive spring storms, but I don't think they can since all the ski patrol and lifties are part time.

Snowbird, Utah stays open on weekends as long as there’s snow. Most years there’s enough snow to open into mid/late May, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they stayed open into June this year given the recent weather patterns. After the massive 2010-11 winter, they were open as late as July 4th.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.