News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Today is 50 degrees and overcast. Last night, after I made my last post in this thread, the wind picked up pretty ferociously. The average speed was measured at 23 mph, but there had to be gusts over 35 or so.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on December 09, 2020, 10:24:34 AM
Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2020, 10:46:10 AM
With our second snowfall arriving last night, we've tied you up at two.  :)
Third snowfall this morning; around an inch or so and still falling... slowly...

Fourth snowfall this morning; just a dusting that hardly covered the grass, but still enough to create some very icy roads.

US 89

Quote from: US 89 on December 11, 2020, 11:20:44 AM
Another storm comes tomorrow, and this one will be more substantial. Winter storm watches have been issued for the central and southern mountains, which are currently expected to see 8-16 inches of snow. Far northern mountains will probably see closer to the 6" range, while valleys will get 1-3 inches. Not a huge valley storm by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had over 100 car accidents across the Wasatch Front tomorrow. It hasn't snowed more than a dusting in almost a month and I can just about guarantee everybody forgot how to drive in it.

Well, the roads were a shitshow yesterday, but actual snow totals turned out to be much lower than expected along the Wasatch Front. I had an inch, and that's about what most northern valleys got with this system - except for the Cache and Sevier valleys which had up to 4" . Even the mountains did worse than expected, with Alta only picking up 5" .

Another storm somewhat similar to this one will move in Thursday. Initial indications are that this will be a bit stronger than yesterday's, however it also looks a bit warmer so there may be a brief period of rain Thursday afternoon. That of course means the roads will have a nice layer of ice on them once the main part of the storm comes through and it gets cold enough to snow again.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 15, 2020, 08:01:02 AM

Third snowfall this morning; around an inch or so and still falling... slowly...

Fourth snowfall this morning; just a dusting that hardly covered the grass, but still enough to create some very icy roads.

Fourth snowfall here, and it's not even Christmas.  So weird for Wichita.

But you went quickly from catching up to us, to our catching up to you.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Second snowfall in one week, which is definitely weird for Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JMoses24

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 15, 2020, 10:04:11 PM
Second snowfall in one week, which is definitely weird for Oklahoma.

This.

Current temp in SW Oklahoma City is 30.4 at 12:40am CST.

Bruce

No lowland snow for us yet...I really want to see some good action this season.

Just overcast and 40s.

ET21

Second snowfall in two months today with an inch. We've barely had any snow and I'm not complaining :biggrin:. We've had more rain this week (2.45 inches) than snow since Halloween (0.7 inches)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: ET21 on December 16, 2020, 09:03:27 AM
Second snowfall in two months today with an inch. We've barely had any snow and I'm not complaining :biggrin:. We've had more rain this week (2.45 inches) than snow since Halloween (0.7 inches)

I never minded the snowfall in Chicago.  What I hated was after that, when it would stay below 20 degrees for two weeks straight, and all the snow would turn a hard, crunchy black color from pollution.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 15, 2020, 04:26:31 PM
Fourth snowfall here, and it's not even Christmas.  So weird for Wichita.

But you went quickly from catching up to us, to our catching up to you.

Yeah, it's been weird, Kansas and Oklahoma keeping it close into mid-December.
I'm sure at some point we'll storm away with 10-15 consecutive days of fresh snow, it's just a question of whether it'll be January or February... or March...

I've enjoyed the updates, though, and plan to keep my part of the chain updated for no other reason than to have an easy, fun, reference to look back on at the end of the season.

Quote from: kphoger on December 16, 2020, 10:51:37 AM
I never minded the snowfall in Chicago.  What I hated was after that, when it would stay below 20 degrees for two weeks straight, and all the snow would turn a hard, crunchy black color from pollution.

It's not just Chicago. What you describe is the very first thing that comes to mind when I hear "March". We seem to always get a big storm in March (this year being a notable exception) and the brown, crunchy piles on driveways and roadsides stick around for weeks and weeks after the rest has melted.

kphoger

The only good thing about those hard, black snow piles is this:  when the top layer thaws slightly in the sun and then re-freezes, the gunk mixed in keeps it from becoming a slip hazard.  Even if it's icy, you can safely cross such a mound to get on the bus, because the grit gives your feet traction.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

epzik8

Northeast of Baltimore it just went from snow to sleet. The snowflakes earlier were huge.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on December 15, 2020, 08:01:02 AM

Fifth snowfall creating messy roads just in time for our afternoon commute. It's still coming down as of this post, but it's much worse further south. The entire state of PA looks like a nightmare on Google Maps right now; numerous segments of I-80 appear to be closed.

1995hoo

That was a dud of a storm for us yesterday. Mostly sleet and rain. This sort of stuff is what's left this morning.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

Parts of New York, mainly around Binghamton, got over 40 inches of snow  :-o :-o

Clinched:

webny99

Quote from: ET21 on December 17, 2020, 09:20:43 AM
Parts of New York, mainly around Binghamton, got over 40 inches of snow  :-o :-o

That's record-breaking for that area, which doesn't get hit with the lake-effect snow that's known to dump 3-4 feet at a time east of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. 40 inches is more than double Binghamton's usual total for the entire month of December!

They're usually non-competitive in the annual snowfall derby, but depending on how the rest of the winter plays out, putting Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse in such a massive hole this early could be all they need to cruise to victory. We only got about four inches, Buffalo even less, and Syracuse presumably a bit more by the time it's over. Wow.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 17, 2020, 07:40:56 AM
This sort of stuff is what's left this morning.

I've heard of it raining cats and dogs, but I've never heard of it snowing squirrels before!
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: ET21 on December 17, 2020, 09:20:43 AM

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 17, 2020, 05:12:50 PM
snow

QuoteWhat's your weather currently?

Still? It stopped about 2 hours ago for me.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

US 89

We're getting another storm in Utah today. The good news is it's wetter than the one we had on Monday, but it's also a bit warmer - so we've been getting rain most of the day with only brief periods of snow. And the precip really hasn't been that heavy thanks to the persistent wind from the southwest, which has resulted in a rain-shadow type effect in the Salt Lake Valley/Davis County area because of the Oquirrh Mountains.

That should shift to a northwest wind with a cold front this afternoon, which should also switch us to all snow. Should get at least a couple inches of it this evening.

STLmapboy

Got a dusting of snow two days ago, first accumulation of the season. Currently low 30s/high 20s and cloudy.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 17, 2020, 05:12:50 PM
snow

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Still remaining at or above average for temperatures for me with upper 30s/low 40s for highs. Maybe some drizzle/flurries tomorrow but still no sign of the first decent snowstorm

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.