News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Just went for a hike in Estes Park and when I got back to the car, it read -6.  Surprisingly wasn't cold on the hike.

Chris

US71

22 and cloudy. Expecting 2-4 inches of snow in the morning.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

There are very few perks to winter in Western NY, but watching the show that ensues when the rest of the country has to deal with real winter is an easy #1 on the list.

Bruce

Got 11 inches of snow and below-freezing highs. This is pretty unusual by our standards.

CoreySamson

The show is just getting started here. We are now under a winter storm warning (in fact, most of Texas is), which is super rare for us. It looks like the north side of HOU will get a lot of snow, but the south side (where I'm at) will get quite a bit of freezing rain and sleet instead, which sucks. One local forecaster used the term "BLIZZARD CONDITIONS" for north HOU, since the wind will be so strong. The same guy said Houston might break its all-time lowest temperature record.

The wind chill values are insane, too; there's nary an above zero value for the entire Houston area.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

1995hoo

I just went outside to bring in the newspaper and I kind of slid down the driveway like Kramer entering Jerry Seinfeld's apartment. To get back up the driveway, I more or less pushed with my left foot like a skateboarder. (It's not at all a steep hill, but the shoes I put on to go outside are old with basically no tread left.)

All supposed to melt today. I hope so.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2021, 01:56:55 PM
the forecast for Saturday night calls for less than four inches or up to ten inches of snow, depending on which forecast you look at.

The 'less than four inches' of snow forecasters were correct, as my wife and I were confident they would be.  Wichita seemingly never gets as much snow as we'd like.  The great majority of weather forecasters were predicting ten inches or so, but www.wunderground.com never wavered from their 1—4" forecast.  Just even more confirmation that they're trustworthy.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Got a healthy amount of snow already on the ground, enough to cover the pavement, but still seeing the tips of the grass poking through. Still coming down, but I don't know if we're going to reach 8" to 10" forecasted.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 14, 2021, 01:34:43 PM
Got a healthy amount of snow already on the ground, enough to cover the pavement, but still seeing the tips of the grass poking through. Still coming down, but I don't know if we're going to reach 8" to 10" forecasted.

No, but I suspect drifting may be a big issue for those in drift-prone areas.  It's very dry snow with strong winds.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 14, 2021, 01:34:43 PM
Similar case here. While its been "snowing" for several hours already, no more than a half-inch has accumulated. Looking at the radar, Springfield is in between two heavier bands, but it looks like there's one coming from Oklahoma that will give us the bulk of our snow.

Scott5114

It would appear I spoke too soon. It is now really coming down here in Norman.

ilpt4u

Its cold: 9F with Windchill of -9F

Light snow overnight, and then 6"+ of snow forecast for Monday afternoon, with Monday Hi of 11F and Low of 2F. Early forecasts had 4", but apparently the snow is supposed to be "less dense"/fluffier, if that makes sense.

WSIL-ABC3's weather team (chief meteorologist did a facebook live show from his house this afternoon, and the meteorologist at the studio this afternoon also did a facebook report from the office) said that typically, the volume of water is equivalent, or ratio if you will, 1" rain = 10" snow. Well, the snowfall on Monday is expected to be a ratio of 1" rain = 15-20" snow, which bumped the accumulation numbers up to at least 6 inches. Combined with 10-20 MPH winds all day tomorrow.

Light, fluffy snow with high winds can cause a lot of blowing/drifting and pretty bad driving conditions

My time so far in Southern Illinois, that is a lot of snow in this part of the state, and it is pretty cold too, and windy. The entire Cape Girardeau/Carbondale/Paducah TV DMA is under a Winter Storm Warning

Basically, the 2 weather-men on WSIL said to "get home and stay home" from 12 Noon Monday until Tuesday - and if you have to get out, have a full tank of gas, a blanket and/or sleeping bag and a pillow, and other items needed to overnight somewhere

kphoger

PSA:   If you're an able-bodied adult with a shovel, please remember to take care of your neighbors' driveways too.  No man is an island.

I just got back in from shoveling our driveway (current temperature 3°F).  While I was out there, I did a couple of our neighbors' driveways too–ladies who aren't as able-bodied or used to hard work as I am.  When I got back inside, my wife let me know that one of those neighbors had sent her a message thanking me because, after recovering from COVID, she developed emphysema and therefore can't tolerate being out in the cold weather.  We didn't even know she'd had COVID, let alone emphysema as a side-effect.  This could be your neighbor too.
Male pronouns, please.

ET21

About to have probably one of the bigger lake effect snow events starting tomorrow. Barely any frozen water on Lake Michigan + NNE winds
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CoreySamson

The entire state of Texas is now under a winter storm warning and SE Texas even has a wind chill warning right now. Temps are in the mid 30s, dropping to nearly 20 overnight into the morning, when it appears nearly everyone in the area will get snow (even Galveston). The wind will be at 20 mph or so in the morning.

Let the show begin.

My Route Log
My Clinches

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ET21 on February 14, 2021, 07:06:59 PM
About to have probably one of the bigger lake effect snow events starting tomorrow. Barely any frozen water on Lake Michigan + NNE winds

Not sure how far you are from the lake but I'm in the 8+ inches zone.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

zachary_amaryllis

30's, slightly breezy.

outside, its about -10 with about 3 inches of snow on the ground.

i should probably think about turning on the heat.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

CoreySamson

My Route Log
My Clinches

webny99

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 14, 2021, 07:10:05 PM
The entire state of Texas is now under a winter storm warning and SE Texas even has a wind chill warning right now. Temps are in the mid 30s, dropping to nearly 20 overnight into the morning, when it appears nearly everyone in the area will get snow (even Galveston). The wind will be at 20 mph or so in the morning.

Let the show begin.

It is absurd to see snow as far south as San Antonio. I've had friends down there since about 2014 or so, and I believe this is only the second time they've had snow since then.

Scott5114

First time I can remember ever observing a negative temperature myself. (I know it's happened here in my lifetime, but always when I was asleep or otherwise busy.) Normally the coldest it gets is in the high single digits, and that's extreme and remarkable.

I went out in it just to experience it. Yeah, it's not fun. I took a ruler to measure the snow; best I could tell we have six inches on the ground now, but I didn't want to go out and walk around in it to sample a few different places because I don't have any footwear that makes the idea of doing so palatable. I almost fell over a few times since I'm not really accustomed to walking in six inches of loose snow.

cjk374

5:40 a.m.

"Snow showers" (I'm guessing this means ice chunks vs light fluffy flakes?)

17°

Roads in the northwest region have been officially deemed "impassable" by LaDOTD. It has been a couple of decades since we had a serious shit show like this one. And the precipitation is still coming down pretty heavy. I  am used to hearing 18-wheelers passing in front of my house all hours of the night. Been up since 3:45 a.m. and haven't heard a single vehicle go by. Kinda eerie.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Rothman

Quote from: cjk374 on February 15, 2021, 06:44:12 AM
5:40 a.m.

"Snow showers" (I'm guessing this means ice chunks vs light fluffy flakes?)

:D :D :D

That's fun.

No, just intermittent periods of snow.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ET21

Quote from: webny99 on February 14, 2021, 10:45:46 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on February 14, 2021, 07:10:05 PM

Let the show begin.

It is absurd to see snow as far south as San Antonio. I've had friends down there since about 2014 or so, and I believe this is only the second time they've had snow since then.

Snowed even further south. Del Rio, TX had heavy snow falling at one point last night
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Currently —8°F, with some extra flurries this morning just for fun.  The car barely started this morning, and I'm considering disconnecting the battery after work to bring it inside overnight.  Tonight's low is forecast to be —11°F.

The roads are fine here, though.  The main streets are well sanded, the highways are down to the pavement on all but the leftmost lane, and this snow is not icy at all.  It's so dry, it just blows around into tiny drifts.

I didn't measure the snow on the ground, but it was clearly at the low end of the forecasts.  Right where www.wunderground.com said it would be, though, from what I can estimate.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.