News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

It is a roaster kind of week. Sitting at 98 at 6:15 PM MDT under blistering sunny skies. My area of Missoula is under a Heat Advisory while extreme NW Montana is under Excessive Heat Warnings. Heat index is probably 105 or so, but my area will reach about 115 or so this week as far as the heat index goes. Not too big a fan of stupid hot in Western Montana. Of course, your kind of hot will vary depending on both air temp and head index combined. Me? Anything really over 85 is just flat yuck! Mmm mmm! Nooooo maaas! I hope that's the only time Western Montana will have to deal with this roaster oven type of weather this week.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

CoreySamson

Quote from: jakeroot on June 28, 2021, 02:50:36 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on June 28, 2021, 02:14:34 PM
Is it very humid up there right now in Seattle? I've seen that can make all the difference when it comes to comfort in the heat down here in Houston. I was moving a dirt pile at my church Saturday morning and the humidity (especially when not in the breeze) made it very uncomfortable, even at 9:00 AM. I ended up going through 4 bottles of water and 2 Gatorades in 3 and a half hours before calling it quits at 11:30 due to running out of water (and I still got a heat-related headache that lasted all day, even after I went inside). And the high that day was only 92 or so.

This week will be different though. There is at least a 45% chance of rain every day this week, and the high today is only supposed to get up to 81.

The dew point is sitting around 65-75, which is very high for our area. Humidity is around 25-55%, also relatively high for otherwise cloudless skies. So it feels fairly humid.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Virginia. The humidity sucks, yes. But honestly, 105-110 feels hotter. I know we joke that "it's a dry heat", which is true. But it's still hot.
Wow that sucks, I feel for you, especially considering only half of everyone has an A/C. It feels weird to see the high temperature in Seattle get almost 30 degrees hotter than the high in Houston on a summer day.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

LilianaUwU

Currently it's 23 C/74 F, partly cloudy with 82% humidity.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Bruce

Seattle's weather station at Sea-Tac International Airport reached an all-time record high of 108F, besting Sunday's record of 104F. That is higher than any temperatures recorded in NYC, the other Washington, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Chicago.

Washington itself may have matched its all-time record, as two stations (Quillayute Road in the Olympic NP and Dallesport on the Columbia River) recorded 118F.

Portland's new record is 115F, which exceeds Dallas, Kansas City, and LA.

A few roads have buckled from the stress of the heat wave, including sections of I-5 in Seattle that had to be shut down for hours of road repair. Link light rail in Seattle was forced to slow down to avoid warped tracks, while MAX in Portland was shut down entirely. Also, Oregon is allowing everyone to pump their own gas everywhere for 48 hours.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

While everyone on the coasts are dealing with the heat, a solid high of 77 today in Denver.  Gorgeous.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

90s and partly cloudy again

Roadgeekteen

Around 80, cloudy with rain

ozarkman417

The rainy pattern that has been over the Ozarks (and the stalled front causing it) will finally be headed out in the next day or two.

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

High in the 70s and partly cloudy

Bruce

Finally swung down towards normal, with a high in the 70s and clouds...but it's still hotter than it should be.

Summer "officially" begins today according to the old calendar, but we're already sick of it. More days in the 80s up ahead...

hotdogPi

Quote from: Bruce on July 05, 2021, 03:11:11 PM
Summer "officially" begins today according to the old calendar, but we're already sick of it. More days in the 80s up ahead...

The solstice does not care which calendar you use. It's an astronomical event.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jakeroot

I'm not sick of it. Please don't generalize all of Western Washington as 80s and sun-haters.

Quote from: 1 on July 05, 2021, 03:59:32 PM
The solstice does not care which calendar you use. It's an astronomical event.

He's referring to the old adage here in the PNW that summer begins on the 5th of July. But given that we've already had many days in the 80s, 90s, and 100s, that clearly wasn't true this year.

US 89

Finally swung down towards normal, with a high in the 70s and clouds...but it's still hotter than it should be.

I would have thought you guys would quit complaining about 80s after seeing what an actual, brutal 100+ heat wave looks like. I would absolutely love to have a high in the 80s - turns out in SLC, 29 of the last 34 days have featured a high of 90 or higher. And overnight lows have been in the 70s for many of those days, which means it's too warm to open windows at night.

Unfortunately it does not look like we are cooling down anytime soon in SLC. The high today is 99, and then the weather service has issued a heat advisory for Weds-Thurs with highs of 104 both days. Then we "cool"  back into the mid 90s before going back above 100 next weekend. And the current forecast does not include a single low below 71 for the next week.

Roadgeekteen

High in the 80s with clouds and maybe some rain and thunderstorms

CoreySamson

The last ten days have been unseasonably cool here because of all the rain we've been having. It's only hit 90 degrees once since June, and today might not even get out of the 80s. Current temperature is 75 and the projected high is 82. It's been raining all morning, and I saw some flooded yards driving around town.

The rest of this week is more of the same. Next week it'll come back down to earth and we'll be in the 90s again.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on July 06, 2021, 10:35:49 AM

I would have thought you guys would quit complaining about 80s after seeing what an actual, brutal 100+ heat wave looks like.

I'm not seeing anyone else complaining about 80s except Bruce. But then he doesn't seem to ever be happy with the weather unless it's grey and 62.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on July 07, 2021, 01:23:59 AM

I would have thought you guys would quit complaining about 80s after seeing what an actual, brutal 100+ heat wave looks like.

I'm not seeing anyone else complaining about 80s except Bruce. But then he doesn't seem to ever be happy with the weather unless it's grey and 62.

I was responding to the "we"  in his post... which I assume you are not part of  :-D

Bruce

You know me too well.

There's others like me around, mostly those who grew up and remember the milder summers of years long past, when wildfires weren't an annual event and ACs truly were rare in homes.

I will continue to complain about hot weather so long as my west-facing bedroom heats up to over 85 for much of the evening. Our houses simply weren't made for heat.

Roadgeekteen

80s with clouds and rain coming later.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 07, 2021, 01:46:23 AM

You know me too well.

There's others like me around, mostly those who grew up and remember the milder summers of years long past, when wildfires weren't an annual event and ACs truly were rare in homes.

I will continue to complain about hot weather so long as my west-facing bedroom heats up to over 85 for much of the evening. Our houses simply weren't made for heat.

I know how you feel. I have a west-facing 9th floor apartment unit. It can get brutally hot in here. The AC works overtime. We may buy a third portable unit for the second bedroom.

It's funny, there may actually be just enough of a geographical difference between you and I to make 80s/90s acceptable for one and uncomfortable for the other. I spent a lot of my summers growing up at my friend's pool just around the corner (one of the few homes in the neighborhood with a permanent pool), because 80s and 90s were really common in Puyallup. That may be explained by the distance from the Puget Sound and more southerly latitude. But since 80s and 90s were so much of my summer, I just don't find them miserable in the same way that others may.

I just wish there were a stronger embrace of AC around here. We worry a lot about our natural environment during the summer, and it's time to start worrying more about ourselves. Heat is a huge killer, and we have a lot of older people in this area living in homes without AC. That has to change.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.