News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on July 25, 2022, 08:12:10 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 25, 2022, 02:07:58 AMIn a few days we're going to be in the 90s and miserable.

I don't know when this area is going to learn its lesson. Last year was quite a good indication that it can, does, and will continue to get hotter. Everyone in the Seattle region needs to accept it: there is no substitute for a proper AC.

Indeed, I think there is a tendency to underestimate what A/C can do in terms of dehumidification, which will become even more important as the frequency of wet-bulb heat waves increases with climate change.

This said, my Eastside friend who would like central A/C reports that her house would need upgrades not just to the electrical panel but also the drop from the electric company in order to accommodate the added load.  I suspect many others in the Seattle metro are similarly positioned.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on July 25, 2022, 08:12:10 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 25, 2022, 02:07:58 AM
In a few days we're going to be in the 90s and miserable.

I don't know when this area is going to learn it's lesson. Last year was quite a good indication that it can, does, and will continue to get hotter. Everyone in the Seattle region needs to accept it: there is no substitute for a proper AC.

Maybe, back in the day, it wasn't necessary. But AC was also not as easy or cheap to install back then. So of course we found reasons to justify alternative cooling methods. But things have changed; the climate foremost, but also ease of access to proper cooling methods.

My windows slide horizontally, so a normal window AC won't fare well. My HOA won't allow for a heat pump or most forms of central AC and I'm not equipped to sue them for the right to do so. On top of that, I live with someone who gets ill from AC use, so I've got no support for it.

I'm tired of living in climate swings. I was born and raised in a temperate climate and I have had enough experience traveling to areas with other climates to know that I would be miserable living there. I'll suck it up and use a wasteful portable unit in my bedroom and help contribute to the worsening problem on top of adding a few bucks to my electricity bill.

jgb191

With still two months left of summer:

Laredo averages 72 days of triple-digits highs per year; to date it has already seen 75 days of 100+ degrees days this year (including 57 consecutive days to date; last day it failed to reach 100 degrees was around Memorial weekend).

Alice averages 44 days of triple-digits highs per year; it has already seen 54 days of that so far this year.

Kingsville averages 26 days of triple-digits per year; already 29 days so far this year.

McAllen averages 60 days of triple-digits per year; already 62 days so far this year.

A warmer than average spring contributed to being way ahead of schedule.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Billy F 1988

91, hot and toasty in Missoula. And, it's gonna get toastier this weekend as Weather Underground has Saturday and Sunday's highs hitting the century mark at 100. By Thursday, Aug. 4, it'll get dialed back a touch with upper 80's.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on July 26, 2022, 12:25:12 AM
My windows slide horizontally, so a normal window AC won't fare well. My HOA won't allow for a heat pump or most forms of central AC and I'm not equipped to sue them for the right to do so. On top of that, I live with someone who gets ill from AC use, so I've got no support for it.

Coming from somewhere where every single public building and home has AC, the notion that someone could get ill from AC use sounds fantastical. Has this person actually been diagnosed with this condition by a doctor, or is it something they've convinced themselves of?

A HOA banning a heat pump or central AC sounds certifiably insane. Short of suing the HOA, I would imagine you could probably go around on a hot enough day and get enough of your neighbors to create a Change The Bylaws Or Else faction to ruin the HOA president's day at the next meeting.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ted$8roadFan

First post-heat wave day, sunny and in the 80s.

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 26, 2022, 07:04:05 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 26, 2022, 12:25:12 AM

Coming from somewhere where every single public building and home has AC, the notion that someone could get ill from AC use sounds fantastical. Has this person actually been diagnosed with this condition by a doctor, or is it something they've convinced themselves of?

A HOA banning a heat pump or central AC sounds certifiably insane. Short of suing the HOA, I would imagine you could probably go around on a hot enough day and get enough of your neighbors to create a Change The Bylaws Or Else faction to ruin the HOA president's day at the next meeting.

For point 1, they are a boomer who will not change their mind no matter what. So I've given up on trying to change it.

For point 2, Oregon has very recently made it illegal for HOAs and landlords to ban portable ACs for aesthetic reasons. Washington is going to be much further behind.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 26, 2022, 07:04:05 PMComing from somewhere where every single public building and home has AC, the notion that someone could get ill from AC use sounds fantastical. Has this person actually been diagnosed with this condition by a doctor, or is it something they've convinced themselves of?

Quote from: Bruce on July 26, 2022, 08:01:00 PMFor point 1, they are a boomer who will not change their mind no matter what. So I've given up on trying to change it.

FWIW, A/C that is used infrequently and not maintained well can trigger mold allergies.

I've personally never noticed an off smell inside the house or had sneezing fits that I couldn't otherwise attribute to living in a top-ten city for pollen allergies.  However, in this Cfa climate there is pretty much no day from roughly early May to late September that isn't warm enough to force the A/C to cycle on at least once, especially when solar gain is taken into account, and pretty much everyone expects to replace HVAC filters once every two months.  Seattle and environs are Csb (though some argue Cfb), and summers are still cooler, even with recent warming trends.  I can easily see someone who grew up in the Pacific Northwest (especially when it was cooler than now) reaching for mold-related problems as an excuse not to have A/C, whether or not that is the real reason.

In terms of efficiency more generally, houses around here that were built when central A/C became common--roughly in the mid-1960's--typically have storm windows so that there are two layers of glass between inside and outside.  This gave way to double glazing in the late 1970's, and triple glazing is now the norm in current new home construction.  In older buildings (not in the US) subject to historic preservation requirements, I have seen clear plastic screens retrofitted to existing single-pane windows.  Upgrading existing double glazing to triple or even quadruple glazing tends to be a tough sell here--it's astonishing how much of a home's value is locked up in its exterior glass.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hotdogPi

The local average high is 84°F this time of year; this is the highest it gets. It has been hotter than that every day since July 11 (inclusive) with the exception of July 18 and July 26, and the 10-day forecast (last day August 5) shows every day being above the average. That's 25 out of 27, and possibly more since I can't see past August 5.

This is in stark contrast to last July, which had a whole bunch of 70s temperatures due to rain.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CoreySamson

Quote from: 1 on July 27, 2022, 01:36:59 PM
This is in stark contrast to last July, which had a whole bunch of 70s temperatures due to rain.
Very similar story in the Houston area. Last year summer was pretty mild due to a lot of rain (I recall it not hitting 90 until mid-June), but this year has been a lot hotter. Most days are averaging 93-95, but we have seen a couple days around 100 in my exurb, which doesn't happen all the time.

The overall weather pattern so far this year in Texas has supported high pressure and suppressed rain, which is part of the reason it's been so hot. It did rain a bit yesterday, but rain has been coming on a monthly basis as of late rather than a weekly basis, which isn't very cool. I saw a satellite picture comparing Texas this July to last July, and the difference is stark. Last year everything was green. This year it's all brown and dry.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Roadgeekteen

ozarkman417

Missouri's weather has been very bipolar in recent days. Around St Louis, a good foot of rain has fallen in places over the past week, while in the Ozarks, we are now in an "extreme drought".

Ted$8roadFan

Last week's heat wave has ended and we had a few nice days in the 80s without the 3 Hs. However, the humidity has returned.

Billy F 1988

Very toasty 96 in Missoula under a Heat Advisory until 12 AM MDT Sunday for indexes expected to reach 105. Daytime highs today through Sunday expecting to reach high 90's to low 100's. The dominant high pressure system responsible for this heat will finally get broken off by Monday night next week as highs lower into the middle to upper 80's.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Roadgeekteen

Ted$8roadFan

Cloudy, breezy and warm. Looks like it will rain, but of course, it probably won't.

kkt

Another day in the 90s, and predicted to continue through Saturday and Sunday.  Ugh.
If it does continue through Sunday we break our city record for the longest string of 90+ degree days.
(I could do without the record setting.)

Bruce

The humidity has also been much worse than other heat waves. Walking around Vancouver yesterday was exhausting.

kkt

Quote from: Bruce on July 30, 2022, 02:19:34 PM
The humidity has also been much worse than other heat waves. Walking around Vancouver yesterday was exhausting.

Yes.  If I wanted hot, humid summers I'd be living in Florida or somewhere.

jakeroot

I don't think I noticed the humidity. It felt warm but I thought it was just it being in the mid 90s.

I do see a dew point of 61 right now.

Ted$8roadFan

Sunny and mid-80s. Heat wave is long gone (for now), but the humidity is lurking.

Billy F 1988

Very hot and 97. Very close to getting to 100. Heat Advisory extended to 12 AM MDT Monday for all of Western Montana. Red Flag Warning in effect for Fire Zones 107, 108 and 109 until 9 PM MDT Sunday for wind gusts up to 40 MPH, dry humidity. I'm afraid this heat is sticking around for another ten days or so as this high pressure heat system just will not let go of its death grip on Northern Idaho and Western Montana.

Roadgeekteen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.