News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Our power went out at 4:30 AM today.  By the time I left for work at 6:45, the house was already under the legal daycare limit, at 64°F.  By the time the power came back on at 10:00 AM, the indoor temperature had dropped to 59°F–twelve degrees in just under six hours.  At that point, my wife texted me to say "I can make coffee!"

It's currently —5°F here in Park City, with a forecast high of +3°F.  On my way to the office, the roads were halfway clear–if only I could see them through the 25mph blowing snow.  Due to the blowing snow, I ended up going about 35—40 mph on surfaces that I otherwise would have taken at 50—60 mph.

There isn't actually all that much snow:  it just looks like it because of the wind.  But it isn't supposed to get above freezing again until Monday, so ma-a-a-a-aybe there will still be some on the ground on Christmas.  We shall see.

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2021, 06:21:00 PM

Quote from: Kansas Department of Health and Environment
Kansas Laws and Regulations for Licensing Day Care Homes and Group Day Care Homes for Children
  VI. Regulations for Licensing Day Care Homes and Group Day Care Homes for Children
    K.A.R. 28-4-115. Facility.
      (c) General environmental requirements.

Each facility shall have 25 square feet of available play space per child and shall be constructed, arranged, and maintained to provide for the health and safety of children in care. Each applicant, each applicant with a temporary permit, and each licensee shall ensure that the facility meets the following requirements:

(14) is maintained at a temperature of not less than 65 degrees Fahrenheit and not more than 85 degrees Fahrenheit in the play area;

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jlam

Now it's -14 and feels like -39. We only got an inch of snow, but there are some massive banks in the backyard.

Ted$8roadFan

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 12:14:52 PMOur power went out at 4:30 AM today.  By the time I left for work at 6:45, the house was already under the legal daycare limit, at 64°F.  By the time the power came back on at 10:00 AM, the indoor temperature had dropped to 59°F–twelve degrees in just under six hours.  At that point, my wife texted me to say "I can make coffee!"

It's currently —5°F here in Park City, with a forecast high of +3°F.  On my way to the office, the roads were halfway clear–if only I could see them through the 25mph blowing snow.  Due to the blowing snow, I ended up going about 35—40 mph on surfaces that I otherwise would have taken at 50—60 mph.

There isn't actually all that much snow:  it just looks like it because of the wind.  But it isn't supposed to get above freezing again until Monday, so ma-a-a-a-aybe there will still be some on the ground on Christmas.  We shall see.

We didn't lose power, though scattered outages have been reported all over Wichita.  Evergy has said generating capacity is adequate, so it has no plans to implement rolling blackouts like it did in February 2021.

We were under a snow squall warning (our first since the term was formally defined in 2018) from 7 to 10 AM today.

This started with black ice last night, so dealing with that was fun too.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

The snow is already basically over in Chicagoland. We got about 3 inches, a far cry from the originally expected 12+". The temperature is indeed approaching 0 °F with winds approaching 20  mph.

This was a pretty lame storm, at least here.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 22, 2022, 08:31:22 PM
This was a pretty lame storm, at least here.

I'm just hoping it will stay cold enough to make some of the snow stick around till Christmas.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Billy F 1988

Man, it was brutal today. When I began the day, I couldn't crank the car. The battery was just so juiced. My telemetry inside the car read about -19, and I'd estimate the wind chill between the -20 to -35 range with sudden blasts of south winds up to about 35 MPH in Hellgate Canyon. It was so bad, I couldn't stay out for more than five minutes at a time before retreating into the apartment I live in to get warm. By the time my manager picked me up and dropped me off at the store so that I can work my 4 1/2 hour shift, the winds lessened to around 15 to 20 MPH and -15 to -25 wind chills. Now I'm standing at -12 as another snow storm is approaching. The Wind Chill Warning has downgraded to Advisory (expires 11 AM MST Friday) level. I'm looking at up to 5 inches of accumulation according to the Winter Weather Advisory (expires 5 AM MST Saturday).
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Ted$8roadFan

StogieGuy7

Cloudy, 25-40 mph winds, blowing snow and currently -7 F (at 1 pm CST). It was down to -12 this am. Not fun.

7/8

Currently -14C, snowing and windy! Current wind speed is about 50km/h (31 mph), with gusts of 80 km/h (50 mph). Snowfall totals expected to be 5-15cm (2-6"). The storm should let up Saturday afternoon.

Cool screenshot with various city temperatures shown. It's approx. 20C/36F degrees warmer in Northeastern Ontario than Kentucky!

Roadgeekteen

50s with wind and rain, pretty big storm.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

14°F and sunny.  Tomorrow is supposed to get up into the mid-20s, threatening to melt the rest of the snow before Christmas gets here.   :angry:
Male pronouns, please.

Bruce

Freezing rain rolled through and caused everything to shut down (except the train).

Now warming up to 34F (with 48F expected tomorrow), so the slush will hopefully go away.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2022, 03:51:36 PM14°F and sunny.  Tomorrow is supposed to get up into the mid-20s, threatening to melt the rest of the snow before Christmas gets here.   :angry:

I'm pretty sanguine about snow still on grass and other surfaces that don't see active snow removal.  The snow is still powdery, though it's starting to clump into slabs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2022, 03:51:36 PM
14°F and sunny.  Tomorrow is supposed to get up into the mid-20s, threatening to melt the rest of the snow before Christmas gets here.   :angry:

I was confused at first, then realized that snow melting when temps are in the 20's is probably quite common in areas that see the sun between November and May.  ;-)

J N Winkler

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2022, 05:33:34 PMI was confused at first, then realized that snow melting when temps are in the 20's is probably quite common in areas that see the sun between November and May.  ;-)

We had sun part of yesterday and all day today.  An albedo reduction strategy will therefore work as long as paving can be seen underneath whatever snow is left on top, even if temperatures are around zero with 20 MPH winds out of the north.  I shoveled both yesterday and today and the sun melted leftover snow and dried the pavement behind me.

elsmere241

Current 8 F here with some wind.  Good thing I finally got my cards in the mail today.

jgb191

This is why winter is not my favorite season.....just nine days ago we were seeing Heat Index near 100 degrees and today the wind chill dropped below 25 degrees.  This is how people get sick around here.

And those people wishing for snow/ice for the holidays are the very same people that complain about travel disruptions caused by them when they do get it. 
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

ZLoth

Quote from: jgb191 on December 24, 2022, 01:20:26 AMAnd those people wishing for snow/ice for the holidays are the very same people that complain about travel disruptions caused by them when they do get it.

Thanks for making me visualize some of the Christmas tunes in a more cynical sense.... especially that sleigh ride song.

Unfortunately, with holiday travel plans, you often must make them months in advance based upon what the weather should be, but we don't know what the weather will be until only a few days in advance. And, I consider what is currently happening to be a extreme weather event. At least the only snow I saw was on Thursday afternoon was a minor snow flurry with none of it sticking to the ground.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Ted$8roadFan

Sunny and quite cold, 11 degrees.

zachary_amaryllis

and in typical colorado fashion (*thumbs nose at jlam*)

woke up this morning, at 4 am. 38 degrees and windy outside. Town shows still single digits.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Hunty2022

10 degrees, sunny, and a low of 4.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

skluth

It's a sunny 57°F with an expected high of 81°. This is much better than a week ago when it got down to the upper 30's around sunrise with highs around 50° and I had to pull out my flannel and other cold weather gear.

kphoger

Quote from: jgb191 on December 24, 2022, 01:20:26 AM
And those people wishing for snow/ice for the holidays are the very same people that complain about travel disruptions caused by them when they do get it. 

No I don't.  I love driving in the snow.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.