News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on January 12, 2024, 02:03:32 PM
Florida, or at least my part of the state, has been unseasonably colder this year. Highs around only 72, but most of the time it seems like 63 it only peaks during the day.

This large system blanketing the eastern seaboard with snow  is mostly to blame this week anyway.

Don't expect a whole ton of sympathy right now.  Seattle:  20 F, mostly clowdy.

Bruce

Woke up this morning to temperatures in the low teens and frost inside my windshield. A few frozen ponds here and there but none thick enough for safe walking or skating. Blue skies and a visible snowline in the hills, though.

hotdogPi

Wednesday the 17th will have the lowest high so far this season, at... 27. We're not getting anything near what everyone else is getting. We haven't had any really cold days at all this late fall/early winter. We are getting more snow soon, though.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 12, 2024, 01:57:13 PM
Protect and Serve, right?

They meant, for my own protection.  Who knows what someone that drunk and strung out might do?  I must admit that, when he was sitting in our front room and we tried convincing him to pull his pants up (he was wearing two pairs, and the outer pair was too big), we did get a bit scared when he kept reaching for his pocket and not being able to make a sentence to tell us what he was reaching for.

Unfortunately, my wife can tell you from personal experience that even someone who can barely stand up can muster a LOT of strength.

The officer was just expounding on "think of your safety first".  Well, maybe I made a stupid decision, but sometimes I'd rather be stupid than cruel.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Road Hog

Seems like Arctic Blasts™ are becoming a regular feature of the world we live in today.

Starting Saturday, DFW will go for an expected 84-hour period below freezing. Probably a dusting of snow on Monday morning is the only precip we'll see, but we'll be well below normal for the next 10 days. Normals are 56/36.

We had the well-documented February 2021 winter storm, then we had another big blast right before Christmas in 2022. We're due one good snow event a year on average, but single digits are rare.

Billy F 1988

I'm already in the midst of this "blast". It's -9 with -25 to -30 avg. wind chill in Missoula, and it looks like areas east of the divide are gearing to issue localized, if not, statewide civil emergencies as the artic outbreak slams Central and Eastern Montana from as far as Havre to Broadus and Miles City with life-threatening wind chill readings and near historic lows.

Just to give you an idea, as I pull direct data from extremeweatherwatch.com:

Missoula's all time low for 1/12 - -23 - 1963
Missoula's forecast low tonight - -20 (so we're really close)

Years of sub-zero weather for January 12 in Missoula:
2007, 1998, 1997, 1993, 1975, 1968, 1963, 1949, 1937, 1930, 1916, 1910, 1909, 1907

Now add 2024 to this lineup, and that's approximately one cold snap every three to twenty years, hence the gap between 1916 to 1930, 1937 to '49, and '75 to '93.

We tied the lowest high temperature for this day (1/12) during the 4 PM MT hour
-9, set in 1963 (right now it's at -11, so we blew that one outta the park)

We will tie the 1916 daily lowest high of -2 on Saturday and break the 1993 record low of -17 with a forecast low of -19.

In tl;dr speak: IT'S DAMN COLD!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

kkt

current temperature 20 F.  Tonight's lows around 10 to 15 F.

Leaving a couple of faucets on drip to keep the pipes from freezing.

JayhawkCO

JayhawkCO

This is Cheyenne last night where it dropped 24° in 40 minutes.

Flint1979

About 20, snowing with about 6 inches of snow on the ground.

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Ted$8roadFan

Billy F 1988

A bitter -21 in Missoula. I was concerned my car wouldn't quite crank at that temperature. Sure enough, the battery had enough zip to get going and I had to warm my car up for a half hour because of my location in Hellgate Canyon. Also, the shade is not your friend when things get this cold in this part of Missoula.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Scott5114

These temperatures don't have enough digits.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

algorerhythms

It's 259K, that's the usual number of digits.

jlam

Wait, you guys are seeing positive temperatures?

The wind chill is -20. And it's not going to get any better. Monday night will be -20 with a chill of -30.

JayhawkCO

Warmer this morning than yesterday, up to -6°.

NWI_Irish96

-9 here right now. Coldest it's been in a few years.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Road Hog on January 12, 2024, 06:07:02 PM
Seems like Arctic Blasts™ are becoming a regular feature of the world we live in today.

Starting Saturday, DFW will go for an expected 84-hour period below freezing. Probably a dusting of snow on Monday morning is the only precip we'll see, but we'll be well below normal for the next 10 days. Normals are 56/36.

We had the well-documented February 2021 winter storm, then we had another big blast right before Christmas in 2022. We're due one good snow event a year on average, but single digits are rare.

I'm a bit farther south, in College Station, so it won't be below freezing for quite that long, and we'll probably peak a bit over it on Tuesday. So, it'll be essentially the same as 2022 and almost certainly not as bad as the shitshow in 2021. Still, my building's poor insulation and the state's deliberately unrobust electric grid don't inspire confidence.

On Thursday, it'll be 68.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 14, 2024, 10:32:12 AM

I'm a bit farther south, in College Station, so it won't be below freezing for quite that long, and we'll probably peak a bit over it on Tuesday. So, it'll be essentially the same as 2022 and almost certainly not as bad as the shitshow in 2021. Still, my building's poor insulation and the state's deliberately unrobust electric grid don't inspire confidence.

College Station? I may be making my first ever trip there Labor Day weekend.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 14, 2024, 12:03:10 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 14, 2024, 10:32:12 AM

College Station? I may be making my first ever trip there Labor Day weekend.

It should warm up a bit by then. :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 12, 2024, 04:44:58 AM
The temperature and the wind speed being the same is extremely stupid.

Whoo! Old school Weather Channel!

MATraveler128

40 degrees with snow squalls coming in
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jgb191

We're going from heat index approaching 100 degrees last Monday to wind chills below freezing the next couple of days.  This is why I envy South Florida's winters....they are consistently in the 70s on a practically daily basis without too much variation.  Here in South Texas our winters constantly bounce back and forth between days in the 80s and 90s to days in the 50s and 60s....it all averages out to 70s days on paper as well but considering the roller coaster-like amplification in temperatures variation, it's very much hit or miss here.

Our forecast for Dr. MLK Jr. Day tomorrow:

ACTUAL                              AVERAGE

BROWNSVILLE:        59 high; 47 low                    72 high; 54 low
CORPUS CHRISTI:    49 high; 37 low                    69 high; 51 low
LAREDO:                 46 high; 35 low                    68 high; 49 low
MCALLEN:               55 high; 42 low                    73 high; 53 low

We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Rothman

Windy, temp heading south of 25°.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.