News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 16, 2024, 08:48:52 PM

Quote from: kphoger on January 16, 2024, 02:47:41 PM
We typically flip the water shut-off whenever we go out of town

Does yours actually flip? Ours is a knob like the one that controls the hose spigots.

It looks basically like this one:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Genghixiani

It has been FREEZING here in Indiana lately, with single-digit and negative temperatures for the last 3-4 days. The coldest it got was around -8 I think? Car doors have been frozen shut, endless cold-starts, snow, icy roads, salt being down too early, the works of cold weather like this. It is FINALLY warming up to a whopping 26 degrees tomorrow. This is the temperature to us the last couple of days >>  :pan:
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on January 16, 2024, 12:36:11 PM
Well, the office has water now.  The main burst at some point overnight.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 16, 2024, 02:29:53 PM
We're officially above freezing!

We're above freezing today.  When the water main burst, it turned half the parking lot into a skating rink.  Hopefully, it will be warm enough and sunny enough to turn that into a splash pad instead.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

As snow totals have piled up in the Buffalo and Watertown areas this week, approaching 6 feet in the hardest hit areas, Rochester has largely escaped. We had three straight mornings of fresh snow, but only a dusting each day and only an inch or so on the ground overall. But last night/this morning the winds have finally shifted to the southwest, giving the hammered Buffalo area some reprieve; meanwhile we've got our first proper snow of the season here in the Rochester area as the Lake Ontario snow machine finally shifts in our direction. Similarly, areas south of Lake Erie such as Erie, PA and Cleveland, are now getting some lake effect snow off of Lake Erie while the NY side of Lake Erie looks to escape this round.

1995hoo

My mom lives near Fairfax City and sent this picture she took this morning of her front yard.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

epzik8

30, snowing again, but with higher humidity and far less ice.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

roadman65

This weekend Central Florida will get down into the thirties at night.

One more Front is coming again, as I'm starting to feel this year is record for continuous fronts to move across the entire east coast. I can't tell you how many cold fronts have moved across Florida since the new year has commenced.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ted$8roadFan

MATraveler128

It snowed last night and is changing to rain later with temps in the low 40s.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jakeroot

Got pretty cold here in Okinawa lately. Temps down into the 50s, with highs...in the 50s. Just last week it barely dipped below 70 overnight, so this feels pretty cold.

Lots of rain coming in next week, but warmer temperatures.

I'll be in Osaka this weekend, and it's supposed to be quite pleasant, sunny and around 50.

Meanwhile on the Meishin Expressway in Shiga Prefecture...

https://twitter.com/nhk_news/status/1750020222424076592

webny99

^That does not look good.

We are having pretty much the grisliest weather possible, 35 degrees with fog and pouring rain on top of a foot of snow. I guess it's better than snow for driving, but still, blech.

Ted$8roadFan

kphoger

This has been, like, ummmmmmm, the fourth (?) morning in a row with a fog advisory.  That's quite unusual for this area.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

It's about 60° outside as I type this at 20:25, and it rained today, so we're under a dense fog advisory. I was just outside taking out the garbage and there's some fog (one guy up the block still has Christmas lights on a tree and it gives an eerie effect), but it's not dense enough to warrant fog lights while driving. At least, not here. Maybe closer to the river is different.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Genghixiani

Quote from: Genghixiani on January 17, 2024, 11:46:54 AM
It has been FREEZING here in Indiana lately, with single-digit and negative temperatures for the last 3-4 days. The coldest it got was around -8 I think? Car doors have been frozen shut, endless cold-starts, snow, icy roads, salt being down too early, the works of cold weather like this. It is FINALLY warming up to a whopping 26 degrees tomorrow. This is the temperature to us the last couple of days >>  :pan:

UPDATE: It has gotten to the 40s and 50s consistently for like the past week and a half. It is honestly about time, 60 degree weather here we come! (I hope)

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on January 24, 2024, 05:05:03 PM
We are having pretty much the grisliest weather possible, 35 degrees with fog and pouring rain on top of a foot of snow. I guess it's better than snow for driving, but still, blech.

Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2024, 10:30:32 AM
This has been, like, ummmmmmm, the fourth (?) morning in a row with a fog advisory.  That's quite unusual for this area.

We are also going on several days in a row with fog. Another bout of rain this morning prompted a Flood Warning for the Irondequoit Creek valley:

So of course, I had to check out Ellison Park this afternoon given its notoriety for flooding. Sure enough, the main parking lots were flooded as usual, and Blossom Rd was quite literally on the cusp, with spillover from Irondequoit Creek just inches away from entering the EB travel lane via an inundated shoulder (pics below). If rain continues this afternoon I would not be surprised to see a closure. I wouldn't be surprised to see water levels recede either - Blossom Rd is just the road equivalent of the 'this is fine' meme whenever we get heavy rain and/or significant snow melt. And don't miss the irony of the "Welcome to Penfield" sign sitting in 6 inches of floodwater:

Ted$8roadFan

Cloudy and 35, awaiting snow.

Bruce

60 with spots of rain. Going from unusually cold to Juneuary is not great for my headaches.

Billy F 1988

34 and very foggy. Is it me or does this dense fog in Missoula make me think of Silent Hill?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

kphoger

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 29, 2024, 08:26:53 PM
Is it me or does this dense fog in Missoula make me think of Silent Hill?

tautology
Male pronouns, please.

Genghixiani

Quote from: Bruce on January 29, 2024, 07:06:48 PM
60 with spots of rain. Going from unusually cold to Juneuary is not great for my headaches.

I can see that happening. Negative temperatures to 60s (for you anyway) in less than 2 weeks is a bit of a jump.

ET21

The full thaw is complete. 10 days after we barely were getting above 0F, we're expecting to see near 50 degree highs for the upcoming weekend. Whatever was left of our snowpack is gone.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: ET21 on January 30, 2024, 12:31:24 PM
The full thaw is complete. 10 days after we barely were getting above 0F, we're expecting to see near 50 degree highs for the upcoming weekend. Whatever was left of our snowpack is gone.

Meanwhile, here in Wichita, there are still remnants of snow and ice on the shady side of some structures.  Or at least there were yesterday.  I've never seen it stick around this long here.  I keep reminiscing about the "black snow" of Chicago—the kind that's been there for three weeks, coated in Diesel exhaust, with the crust having thawed and re-iced a few times, trampled under foot by pedestrians but never quite gone...
Male pronouns, please.

ET21

Quote from: kphoger on January 30, 2024, 12:38:38 PM
Quote from: ET21 on January 30, 2024, 12:31:24 PM

Meanwhile, here in Wichita, there are still remnants of snow and ice on the shady side of some structures.  Or at least there were yesterday.  I've never seen it stick around this long here.  I keep reminiscing about the "black snow" of Chicago—the kind that's been there for three weeks, coated in Diesel exhaust, with the crust having thawed and re-iced a few times, trampled under foot by pedestrians but never quite gone...

The black snow parking lot mounds are still there but I have a feeling they'll be gone by the end of this weekend
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.