News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on April 05, 2012, 06:10:12 PM.pdf

this topic should be renamed to "erroneous web formats".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: okroads on April 05, 2012, 04:35:26 PM
Another one from Louisiana; this one is a little less obvious at first glance:
Image snipped again
I'll defer to Urban Praire Schoner, pertaining to Louisiana signage and routing, but I believe there to be two sign errors at that intersection.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

1995hoo

Quote from: okroads on April 05, 2012, 04:35:26 PM
Another one from Louisiana; this one is a little less obvious at first glance:

[image omitted]

So which one is correct?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bassoon1986

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bassoon1986 on April 06, 2012, 11:33:40 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=30.442934,-91.187489&spn=0.001848,0.002411&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.443026,-91.18749&panoid=XahfkqNhGvaq04D57yP_vQ&cbp=12,350.71,,0,3.9

Well, here's what it looked like before. (hooray green shields!), but I don't know what the 2nd error is

Maybe it's not an error, but something that bothered me during my 5 years in Baton Rouge.
LA 30 splits into two one way streets north of South Blvd. NB La 30 follows Saint Louis St, while SB La 30 follows Saint Phillip St.
Government St (La 73) is the northern (western?) extent of La 30, but at the intersection of St. Louis & Government, you see a La 30 shield and corresponding left arrow. Following that signage for La 30 only redirects you back the way you came on La 30, just a big U-turn.
So my arguement is that both the black and green La 30 sign assemblies are wrong for implying that La 30 continues beyond Government St.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Quillz

Those black on white shields with Series B ought to be error shields. The old white on green ones were much nicer.

Darkchylde

Quote from: Quillz on April 07, 2012, 09:17:18 PM
Those black on white shields with Series B ought to be error shields. The old white on green ones were much nicer.
Eh, should at least be in Worst of Road Signs - the width between the digits is horrendous.

Takumi

Yet another incorrect 33 shield in Richmond. This is at VA 161 and should be US 33. Had the non-US portion stayed VA 4 (as VA 5 did when US 250 came to town) I don't think you'd see as many of these.

Several VA 147 shields in the Carytown area are posted North-South instead of the correct East-West. The South ones should be West.

Here's one that was covered up.

Conversely, I-195 should be North-South (South in this particular case).

And I'm posting this again because it deserves it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

that 250 is no Marilyn Monroe either, with its silly "EM compressed to D width" font.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Takumi on April 11, 2012, 04:03:08 PM

Conversely, I-195 should be North-South (South in this particular case).

I like the old-style layout of the 195 shields.  looks like it is a '57 layout with extra large '61 style numerals.

QuoteAnd I'm posting this again because it deserves it.

quick, someone change the cardinal direction of one of the "east 250"s.

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Noted today that this US 98 shield assembly along Government Street westbound in Mobile was finally replaced. What is erroneous about the replacement is that the new US 98 shield is posted alongside a US 90 shield. US 90 has not traveled along this stretch of Government Street since before 1999. Was not able to snag a photo, but will do so in the future.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Alex on April 11, 2012, 05:53:00 PM
finally replaced

what was wrong with the shield in the photo that it needed replacement?

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 11, 2012, 06:15:40 PM
finally replaced

All others were replaced in recent years, this was a holdout. Mildew'd signs tend to get replaced more often, which is a regular problem with signs on the Gulf Coast.

US71

Quote from: Alex on April 11, 2012, 06:46:25 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 11, 2012, 06:15:40 PM
finally replaced

All others were replaced in recent years, this was a holdout. Mildew'd signs tend to get replaced more often, which is a regular problem with signs on the Gulf Coast.

Plus it wasn't one of Alabama's "narrow neck" shields (as I call them)  ;)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

indeed, the narrow neck is a venerable design.

jake@aaroads.com

yakra

Is it just me or does the '8' in that pic US71 post look a little crooked, tilted to the right?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

agentsteel53

Quote from: yakra on April 11, 2012, 07:12:04 PM
Is it just me or does the '8' in that pic US71 post look a little crooked, tilted to the right?

you are correct.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Mildly erroneous as you will be on IL-56 at the bridge going to I-88 East.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

CentralCAroadgeek

Zzyzx Road is a sight not to be forgotten out on I-15 in the California desert. But on NB I-15, the people that made this sign might've forgotten the exit number.
This sign is supposed to say "Exit 239", but they left out the nine. It does say the correct exit number (Exit 239, not Exit 23) for the "1 MILE" sign, image below.
Maybe the first sign's contractors probably just came from a night in Vegas when they made this sign, or that they could go to Vegas after completing the sign, so they rushed it. I dunno, whatever the reason is, this is a strange sign.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 14, 2012, 03:31:44 PM
Zzyzx Road is a sight not to be forgotten out on I-15 in the California desert. But on NB I-15, the people that made this sign might've forgotten the exit number.
[snip picture]
This sign is supposed to say "Exit 239", but they left out the nine. It does say the correct exit number (Exit 239, not Exit 23) for the "1 MILE" sign, image below.
[snip picture]
Maybe the first sign's contractors probably just came from a night in Vegas when they made this sign, or that they could go to Vegas after completing the sign, so they rushed it. I dunno, whatever the reason is, this is a strange sign.

Is the gore sign for the exit correct? Can't tell in the first picture.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 14, 2012, 08:38:58 PM
Is the gore sign for the exit correct? Can't tell in the first picture.

Seeing from Google Street View, the gore sign indeed says "Exit 239"

PHLBOS

No photos but a couple to add:

Somers Point, NJ along NJ 52 Northbound.

A couple trail-blazer signs (one for NORTH 52, the other to TO 9 NORTH w/an approach Right-Turn arrow) have correct shields but incorrect cardinal signs in terms of color.  The signs in question are colored for a County Route (blue background w/gold/yellow lettering) rather than the proper white background/black lettering & borders.

While I've seen Interstate cardinals mixed in (for a state or US route) and vice-versa; this is the first time I've seen County Route colors improperly applied for state and US trailblazer signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

I found this today, while taking a drive to Inverness, Florida, and making a U-Turn through Rutland, and Lake Panasofkee. Over at the beginning of Sumter County Road 470 at Florida State Road 44, there's a shield for CR 470 with a cardinal direction of "North." At that angle the road runs SOUTHEAST! In general Sumter CR 470 is a west-to-east road.

I'm also going to send this to Sumter County Department of Public Works this week.

Michael

The error I mentioned on NY 222 between Groton and Cortland this past Thanksgiving was still there when I went through on Easter last week:

Quote from: Michael on December 08, 2011, 04:20:25 PM
I couldn't get any pictures (my mom and stepdad wouldn't stop! :pan:), but on Thanksgiving Day, I saw two US 222 shields on NY 222.  One was westbound, just west of Salt Road, and the other was eastbound, just east of LaFayette Road.  Both Street View links show the correct shields.  I'm guessing they were recently replaced because NY 222 had new pavement.

I was prepared to get a picture, so I had my mom try since I was in the back seat.  She missed it (curse you, shutter lag!), and we took a different route some, so I wasn't able to stop at the one in the other direction.  When we took our turn, I noticed a reassurance shield for traffic continuing west just after our turn with the "West" plaque below the (proper) NY 222 shield.  Here's a (crappy) Street View link showing the back of the sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.