News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Greetings from Central NH!

Started by classictags93, August 07, 2013, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classictags93

Hello. I'm very excited to have found this forum, because it's exactly what I've been looking for! I am young, and have only been driving for just under 2 years, but after learning my basic way around the area, I developed an interest in highways and signs. I'm a musician, and I like to travel around the state for events at high schools, so I've had some exposure to the different ways to get around the state. Recently though I've been trying to plan road trips so that I can capture as much sign photography as possible. My goal this summer before I go back to school has been to get photos of nearly every unique highway in the state of New Hampshire. I created a chart of my progress (green means I have visited that road) as well as planned routes for the future. So far I've been posting these photos on my Google+ account in an album entitled Road Encyclopedia. Any of you mind giving me some suggestions as a young road enthusiast in how to maximize this hobby? Something more I can add to the photography to make it more worth my while? I've considered in the distant future when I have much more time and money at my disposal installing a dash cam and travelling along the entire route of different roads, taking video of the drive, but it sounds like a pretty significant undertaking to drive the entire length of all roads in NH. I look forward to learning about what you guys do to make this hobby fun and exciting :)

froggie

Welcome to the forum.  Can't get to your album, but one suggestion I have:  with sign photographs, it helps to show more than just the sign itself...it's placement, the view down the road from the sign, etc etc, helps put the sign in context.

Alex

Welcome to the forum, you will find many like-minded people here!

Your goal of documenting every road in NH is a good one and feasible. Once you complete that, you'll likely find your appetite increasing to cover other areas.  :coffee:

classictags93

Quote from: froggie on August 08, 2013, 03:49:20 AM
Welcome to the forum.  Can't get to your album, but one suggestion I have:  with sign photographs, it helps to show more than just the sign itself...it's placement, the view down the road from the sign, etc etc, helps put the sign in context.
Thanks all for the warm welcome! I started just recently taking my photos so that the sign is in the right hand corner of the photo. Luckily most of the roads I've gotten pictures of so far are close to where I live, and I have yet to venture too far. I've been taking them vertically, perhaps horizontally would be a better way to see the surrounding area.

Thanks for your support Alex!

Dr Frankenstein

Dougtone

I've documented a fair bit of New Hampshire myself, which isn't a far cry from my home near Albany, NY.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/collections/72157607251994954/

Alps

I've driven every state highway in New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Delaware, and DC (the trivial case), with plans to add Connecticut, Maryland, and Vermont to that list. Doug, the previous poster, just finished New York. It takes patience and time. You're off to a great start!

Also, we have a road meet in Lebanon, NH coming up. Check out the Road Meets section of our forum and perhaps you'd like to join us.

Dougtone

New York took about a decade to finish in terms of clinching all of the state routes, but it is a much larger state than New Hampshire.  Still, finishing New Hampshire would be a nice accomplishment, one that I could feasibly complete myself one day as well.  Of course, there's even more to find off of the beaten path as well, such as bridges, drives with neat scenery and an old or unique sign.

Ian

Greetings from someone who's about your age and is going up to school this fall somewhat near your area (UMaine)! I love your NH shield album, especially the older OMOTM silhouette shields. I also have a fair amount of New Hampshire road photos from our trips up to Lake Winnipesaukee that we take every summer (which can be seen here and here if you want to check them out).
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hotdogPi

I am 10 minutes from New Hampshire (3 miles straight, 5 miles on roads). Hello!
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.