News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: ZLoth on March 13, 2022, 11:43:07 PM
While I don't like the Daylight Saving Time as much as anyone, the fact is that it is going to take an act of Congress to kill off this long-time bad idea.

There are various ways nowadays for devices to set the time by themselves, whether it be through the NIST's atomic clock, GPS, Radio Data Broadcasting System (RDBS) radios, Network Time Protocol (NTP), or your mobile network. In fact, anything that comes into my home now that has a clock needs to set itself. Yes, it costs a little bit more, but it's well worth it for accurate time. Yes, this will annoy the people who insist on setting their watches 5-10 minutes fast.

Minor things that annoy you, clocks edition:  when a clock gets just a few minutes fast or slow between DST time changes.  It's not enough (always) to make me take it off the wall and set it right again, but it's enough to bug me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Prices such as "2/$4" when you don't need to buy two.

There was one time when a can of something (maybe pet food?) was normally 10/$9 and was on sale for 20/$16. I was working on self scan. The way things ring up on the register, it shows the original price and then the amount taken off for the discount in red. The customer asked where the discount was. I explained that 90¢ minus 10¢ is 80¢, and it's exactly as advertised. The customer understood. I blame corporate entirely for this one, not the customer.

3/$5 is fine, though; you can't put an infinite number of decimal places on a price tag.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jlam

When people pronounce Colorado as Color-RAW-do.

Rothman

Quote from: jlam on March 14, 2022, 11:11:19 AM
Heh.  Color-AY-do? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

When people say Missour-uh but don't likewise say Mississipp-uh.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2022, 11:15:49 AM
When people say Missour-uh but don't likewise say Mississipp-uh.
*shrug* People say "Birming-HAM" but they also say "Dur-um" [for Durham, NC]

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

kurumi

Quote from: Rothman on March 14, 2022, 11:12:19 AM
Quote from: jlam on March 14, 2022, 11:11:19 AM
Heh.  Color-AY-do? :D
You have to emphasize the second syllable, and roll your R, like native Coloradeños. Otherwise they'll assume you are from out of state (i.e. California) and resent you :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2022, 09:44:44 AM
Minor things that annoy you, clocks edition:  when a clock gets just a few minutes fast or slow between DST time changes.  It's not enough (always) to make me take it off the wall and set it right again, but it's enough to bug me.

Minor things that annoy you, clocks edition:  my office has an "atomic clock" on the wall, yet it still operates on the pre-2007 DST schedule.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

While I don't like the Daylight Saving Time as much as anyone, the fact is that it is going to take an act of Congress to kill off this long-time bad idea.

Conversely, I'm bugged by the fact it will take a literal act of Congress to make DST year-round.

That extra hour of daylight when I get home from work can be put to productive uses outside.

Quote from: 1 on March 14, 2022, 09:49:31 AM

Most places with this pricing scheme will sell you one for $2 unless it's expressly noted, "You must purchase two to qualify for discount; otherwise, individual cost is $2.49" or something similar.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on March 14, 2022, 01:09:35 PM
Most places with this pricing scheme will sell you one for $2 unless it's expressly noted, "You must purchase two to qualify for discount; otherwise, individual cost is $2.49" or something similar.

For some reason, I have a hard time remembering which number to divide by which number in order to figure out the per-item price.  That is to say, if something is on sale at 4/$5, then I have to stand there a minute to figure out if it costs 80¢ or $1.25 and is therefore cheaper or more expensive than the brand next to it on the shelf.
Male pronouns, please.

plain

Conversely, I'm bugged by the fact it will take a literal act of Congress to make DST year-round.

That extra hour of daylight when I get home from work can be put to productive uses outside.

In the part you have in Italics, 7-Eleven is infamous for this.
Newark born, Richmond bred

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2022, 09:44:44 AM

There are various ways nowadays for devices to set the time by themselves, whether it be through the NIST's atomic clock, GPS, Radio Data Broadcasting System (RDBS) radios, Network Time Protocol (NTP), or your mobile network. In fact, anything that comes into my home now that has a clock needs to set itself. Yes, it costs a little bit more, but it's well worth it for accurate time. Yes, this will annoy the people who insist on setting their watches 5-10 minutes fast.

My kitchen clock bugs me.  It's got just one AAA battery which is only enough to power it for about 3 months before it runs down and the second hand can't quite make it up the hill to the 8 hour marker.  There would have been loads of space in the back of the clock for a bigger battery or even several batteries so it could go for years...

kkt

DST in winter is a terrible idea.  We tried it one year, 1974, hoping it would save energy.  It didn't.  But it did increase the number of accidents as it was still dark as people had to get up and get to work and drivers were half asleep.

kphoger

Oh, dear Scott, please let this thread not get locked too...
Male pronouns, please.

snowc

Before its locked, lets say two things that bother me!
USPS before COVID hit, used to scan the items into the system upon pickup by USPS. Now they don't, just scans it when it arrives in Fayetteville Annex.  :nod:
Another thing.
Why do products from China constantly keep me from searching for my favorite thing?  :confused:

wanderer2575

3/$5 is fine, though; you can't put an infinite number of decimal places on a price tag.

The late comedian/actor Alan King told a story about how he once went grocery shopping and bought one can of green beans at 2/29 cents (this was in 1962).  It was 15 cents and he argued the point:  "Look, kid," he said to the cashier, "if it's 2/29 then one can costs 14 cents and one can costs 15 cents.  I'll take the cheap one.  Give the one for 15 to somebody else."

snowc

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 14, 2022, 03:32:10 PM

The late comedian/actor Alan King told a story about how he once went grocery shopping and bought one can of green beans at 2/29 cents (this was in 1962).  It was 15 cents and he argued the point:  "Look, kid," he said to the cashier, "if it's 2/29 then one can costs 14 cents and one can costs 15 cents.  I'll take the cheap one.  Give the one for 15 to somebody else."
Quote from: Food Lion
Purchase of 2 required to get the sales price!
:bigass:

plain

Quote from: snowc on March 14, 2022, 03:33:31 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 14, 2022, 03:32:10 PM

Quote from: Food Lion
Purchase of 2 required to get the sales price!
:bigass:

Huh? When I go to Food Lion I can buy one and still get the sale price.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Mr_Northside

While I can't say I never saw this years ago (say, around the turn of the millennium), it was very rare.  As the quote above mentions, most of the time you'd get the sale price even if you didn't buy 2 (or however they displayed the sale price).   I'd say most places I shop, it's still the majority of situations, but over the last handful of years the "must buy (x) for sale price" condition has become much more frequent.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mapmikey

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 14, 2022, 04:13:25 PM

While I can't say I neversaw this years ago (say, around the turn of the millennium), it was very rare.  As the quote above mentions, most of the time you'd get the sale price even if you didn't buy 2 (or however they displayed the sale price).   I'd say most places I shop, it's still the majority of situations, but over the last handful of years the "must buy
  • for sale price" condition has become much more frequent.

Wegmans is doing this pricing scheme on some of their sales but they do make it quite clear whether you have to buy a certain quantity to get the sale price and what the single unit price will be if you do not.

J N Winkler

My mother used to hate the "$X for Y" verbiage because she viewed it as encouragement to overpurchase in order not to miss the discount.  However, I think cost-conscious regular shoppers do eventually develop the savvy to realize that the discount will apply to single items unless a minimum purchase quantity (with or without a "mix and match" option) is explicitly specified.

Things do get interesting when the discount fails to ring up, which does happen from time to time.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bruce

More pronunciations that sound like nails on a chalkboard:

Warshington.

Ore-Ayy-Gone.

Pah-Get (somehow this one is not uncommon).

J N Winkler

Quote from: Bruce on March 14, 2022, 05:43:52 PMOre-Ayy-Gone.

Meanwhile, over here I get people attempting to correct my pronunciation when I say "Irrigun."  It's become a shibboleth, a bit like Arkansas in regard to the river.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.